U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2009, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,667,172 times
Reputation: 3240

Advertisements

Utah and Boise State. Both should have National Championships, but were completely robbed by the pollsters and the BC$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2009, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Spring, TX
107 posts, read 368,613 times
Reputation: 77
Did someone on here try to say that OU's O-line would be better than last year? Bradford is going to be running for his life ALL SEASON.

Utah and Boise State can whine all they want but they play in inferior conferences. There is no way they play in a BCS Bowl if they were in the PAC-10, Big XII or Big Ten. They'd be lucky to be playing in the Alamo Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Waco, TX
977 posts, read 1,645,576 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I know who isn't overrated this year. the number 1 gators. the crystal football stays home in gainesville this year. no sense in even playing the games.
That's what Florida fans like....not playing the games. That's the only way they could keep Utah from winning the National Championship last year.


Back to the topic of the thread:

Overrated: Ohio State, Penn State, Florida State, Michigan, USC
Underrated: Boise State, BYU, Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 AM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,409,543 times
Reputation: 771
Overrated:
I'd say mainly football powers from the past who haven't had a big impact in a long time--biggest one would be Notre Dame. Florida State is kind of edging its way in that direction. Have to agree with Penn State and Michigan too. From the SEC....probably Georgia.

I cheer for Oklahoma, but I'd put them down as overrated too.

Underrated...Utah. They didn't just edge out a victory over Alabama, who were #1 for a good part of the season. They controlled the game from start to finish.

I don't think Boise State are really underrated anymore. It's not really a big surprise when they beat big conference teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,851,927 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Overrated:
I'd say mainly football powers from the past who haven't had a big impact in a long time--biggest one would be Notre Dame. Florida State is kind of edging its way in that direction. Have to agree with Penn State and Michigan too. From the SEC....probably Georgia.

I cheer for Oklahoma, but I'd put them down as overrated too.

Underrated...Utah. They didn't just edge out a victory over Alabama, who were #1 for a good part of the season. They controlled the game from start to finish.

I don't think Boise State are really underrated anymore. It's not really a big surprise when they beat big conference teams.
Kind of agree with you there, in two years time I bet 100% people will get sick and tired of hearing of them because in two years they'll be scary dangerous for a mid-major program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:38 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,475,883 times
Reputation: 14566
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
One question I do have for you is that why do Florida consistantly play weak Div 1A teams and teams like Charleston Southern (Div-1AA)? And always at home as well?
They play one or two easy OOC games per year, because they play in the most difficult conference in the nation, plus Florida State, plus occasionally Miami.

They play at home because both teams profit from playing in front of 95,000 Florida fans, as opposed to 10,000 Charleston Southern fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,475,883 times
Reputation: 14566
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Utah and Boise State. Both should have National Championships, but were completely robbed by the pollsters and the BC$.
I hear these arguments an awful lot.

But in order to be respected, you need to play a hard schedule full of established teams.

2009:

Sept. 3 vs. Oregon (Thursday)
Sept. 12 vs. Miami (Ohio)
Sept. 18 @ Fresno State (Friday)
Sept. 26 @ Bowling Green
Oct. 3 vs. Cal Davis
Oct. 14 @ Tulsa (Wednesday)
Oct. 24 @ Hawaii
Oct. 31 vs. San Jose State
Nov. 6 @ LaTech (Friday)
Nov. 14 vs. Idaho
Nov. 20 @ Utah State (Friday)
Nov. 27 vs. Nevada (Friday)
Dec. 5 vs. NMSU


2008:
Idaho State - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 49 - 7 (W) KTVB
Bowling Green (Homecoming) - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 20 - 7 (W) KTVB
#17 Oregon - 17 at Eugene, OR (Autzen Stadium) 37 - 32 (W) KTVB
Louisiana Tech * #17 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 38 - 3 (W) ESPN
Southern Miss #15 - at Hattiesburg, MS (M. M. Roberts Stadium) 24 - 7 (W) CBS C
Hawai'i * #15 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 27 - 7 (W) ESPN
San Jose State * #13 - at San Jose, CA (Spartan Stadium) 33 - 16 (W) ESPN2
New Mexico State * #11 - at Las Cruces, NM (Aggie Memorial Stadium) 49 - 0 (W) KTVB
Utah State * No. 9 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 49 - 14 (W) KTVB
Idaho * - - at Moscow, ID (Kibbie Dome) 45 - 10 (W) KTVB
#21 Fresno State * - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 61 - 10 (W)

I realize that in the past five years, Boise and Utah have both had big wins over powerhouse BCS schools in bowl games. Good for them, they deserve credit for it, and they get credit for it. But if they want to be in the running for a national championship, they must play (and win) more than one of these games every few years.

I'm sorry, but that schedule is a joke. Scheduling one major conference team per year? Come on!

If you play in a mediocre conference like this, you have to take your OOC scheduling more seriously, scheduling at least 3 good teams from major conferences every year, not some 12-0 sugar high from playing UC Davis and Miami of Ohio.

Last edited by le roi; 07-17-2009 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,409,543 times
Reputation: 771
You have to understand, though, that the smaller schools just kind of have to take what they can get when it comes to scheduling games with major conference schools. The bigger schools, understandably, don't want to risk a loss to a mid-major which could sink their whole season.

I went to a mid-major and this was a constant complaint---the larger schools only wanted to play at home, with a few exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,851,927 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I hear these arguments an awful lot.

But in order to be respected, you need to play a hard schedule full of established teams.

2009:

Sept. 3 vs. Oregon (Thursday)
Sept. 12 vs. Miami (Ohio)
Sept. 18 @ Fresno State (Friday)
Sept. 26 @ Bowling Green
Oct. 3 vs. Cal Davis
Oct. 14 @ Tulsa (Wednesday)
Oct. 24 @ Hawaii
Oct. 31 vs. San Jose State
Nov. 6 @ LaTech (Friday)
Nov. 14 vs. Idaho
Nov. 20 @ Utah State (Friday)
Nov. 27 vs. Nevada (Friday)
Dec. 5 vs. NMSU


2008:
Idaho State - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 49 - 7 (W) KTVB
Bowling Green (Homecoming) - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 20 - 7 (W) KTVB
#17 Oregon - 17 at Eugene, OR (Autzen Stadium) 37 - 32 (W) KTVB
Louisiana Tech * #17 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 38 - 3 (W) ESPN
Southern Miss #15 - at Hattiesburg, MS (M. M. Roberts Stadium) 24 - 7 (W) CBS C
Hawai'i * #15 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 27 - 7 (W) ESPN
San Jose State * #13 - at San Jose, CA (Spartan Stadium) 33 - 16 (W) ESPN2
New Mexico State * #11 - at Las Cruces, NM (Aggie Memorial Stadium) 49 - 0 (W) KTVB
Utah State * No. 9 - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 49 - 14 (W) KTVB
Idaho * - - at Moscow, ID (Kibbie Dome) 45 - 10 (W) KTVB
#21 Fresno State * - - Boise, ID (Bronco Stadium) 61 - 10 (W)

I realize that in the past five years, Boise and Utah have both had big wins over powerhouse BCS schools in bowl games. Good for them, they deserve credit for it, and they get credit for it. But if they want to be in the running for a national championship, they must play (and win) more than one of these games every few years.

I'm sorry, but that schedule is a joke. Scheduling one major conference team per year? Come on!

If you play in a mediocre conference like this, you have to take your OOC scheduling more seriously, scheduling at least 3 good teams from major conferences every year, not some 12-0 sugar high from playing UC Davis and Miami of Ohio.
Yup they need to schedule better, espiscally since the WAC has been down in the last few years, last year in particular,

The only team which really challeneged them last year apart from Oregan was Nevada, and to an extent SJSU, and we'll (Nevada) challenge them again this year, and am confident Nevada will pull off the win.

In short though, until our bottom 3 teams get better, you can't seriously ask for a NC game until you schedule top quality BCS teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,851,927 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
You have to understand, though, that the smaller schools just kind of have to take what they can get when it comes to scheduling games with major conference schools. The bigger schools, understandably, don't want to risk a loss to a mid-major which could sink their whole season.

I went to a mid-major and this was a constant complaint---the larger schools only wanted to play at home, with a few exceptions.
Thats where teams like BSU have to play at the opppsitions home ground, they have to take that risk, yeah its easier said than done but I know for a fact BSU could schedule some big teams if they really wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top