U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:38 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,212,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm a Penn State fan...I pick Kerry Collins quarterback, who argueably led the Nittany Lions to their most impressive season ever and possibly their best team of all time.
HOMER!

aren't we all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 04:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,361,843 times
[quote=thefinalsay;9637225]I am sure this thread has been done, but I didn't see it. who's your player? I am a gator fan, so you know who I think is. what's your opinion?[/quOTE If I had to pick one I would have to say Barry Sanders, but there are many other worthy choices also.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
[quote=big daryle;9648636]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I am sure this thread has been done, but I didn't see it. who's your player? I am a gator fan, so you know who I think is. what's your opinion?[/quOTE If I had to pick one I would have to say Barry Sanders, but there are many other worthy choices also.
sanders is probably my favorite pro. total class.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,871 times
Quote:
but even with tebow only being a part time starter his freshman year, his stats destroy walker's.
It's kind of hard to compare stats within positions. Neither one "destroys" the other. I don't think its all about stats.

You answered the reason why I go with Herschel through three years in your post. Instant impact and what he meant to his team. TT was only a part time impact his FY. In 79 UGA went 6-5 and didn't even make a bowl, they got HW and went undefeated winning the NC the very next year. UGA was 33-3 with HW, winning the SEC all three years. They would not have done that with any other RB in the league at that time. UF could do what they have done with arguably a few other current QB's. (arguably)

I've debated you before about the following subject and you blamed TT losses on the defense in 2007, which may be correct. I just think that you can go the other way and blame TT success last year on their defense, correct? You really can't say that when they lose it's because of their defense and when they win it's because of TT. Can't have it both ways.

I guess my point is this, UGA sucks without HW, wins with him. UF is good without TT and still needs a great defense to win, even with TT.

33-3>35-6

You're asking this question a year early, this year could easily change the way I think.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,819,620 times
Archie Griffin, two time Heisman winner.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
It's kind of hard to compare stats within positions. Neither one "destroys" the other. I don't think its all about stats.

You answered the reason why I go with Herschel through three years in your post. Instant impact and what he meant to his team. TT was only a part time impact his FY. In 79 UGA went 6-5 and didn't even make a bowl, they got HW and went undefeated winning the NC the very next year. UGA was 33-3 with HW, winning the SEC all three years. They would not have done that with any other RB in the league at that time. UF could do what they have done with arguably a few other current QB's. (arguably)

I've debated you before about the following subject and you blamed TT losses on the defense in 2007, which may be correct. I just think that you can go the other way and blame TT success last year on their defense, correct? You really can't say that when they lose it's because of their defense and when they win it's because of TT. Can't have it both ways.

I guess my point is this, UGA sucks without HW, wins with him. UF is good without TT and still needs a great defense to win, even with TT.

33-3>35-6

You're asking this question a year early, this year could easily change the way I think.
the reason I take tebow over walker is the extra NC, and the fact that I know he's going to have a senior year. doesn't mean that tebow is the better player though. I love walker. he's a monster. if bradford stayed for two more years, he could shatter lots of records. his redshirt really helped him. florida's defense was terrible during the 07 season. no question about that. the defense was really good last year, and he benefitted. florida was just complete last year IMO. good d, good o, and good special teams. florida needs much more that tebow to win. harvin was crucial to last years NC. I was actually wanting tebow to get benched after the poor finish during the 07 season. john brantley is a good backup!!! after the ole miss game, he became a better leader, and urban finally realized how to use the speed on the team.

I guess one of the main reasons I think tebow is good is this. he's been told he can't pass, but look at the stats against the SEC defenses. he can't run, but broke emmitt smith's rushing record. that being said, I still think he's not going to be a good NFL player. he will probably end up a backup fullback.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 PM

646 posts, read 710,135 times
Living in big orange country there is no doubt it is Tim Tebow,he pulls wins out of his azz.He plays in the toughest conference period and still puts up those numbers.I think he will win another heisman and national title this year.That will be 4 in a row for the sec.I don't think there is any debate about Tebow playing in the toughest conference

Old 07-07-2009, 07:59 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,705,419 times
Tony Dorsett

Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,583,269 times
Quote:
HOMER!

aren't we all!
FOR SURE...remember they went undefeated but got jipped out of the Championship like in 1968...when Johnson broke the tie between Texas and Penn State....and guess who he picked?....Yes his home state of Texas.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,989,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Archie Griffin, two time Heisman winner.
He HAS to be recognized, as he was the ONLY 2 time winner.

Another one who sadly few people remember is Ernie Davis from Syracuse. After Jim Brown, before Floyd Little and Larry Csonka. A movie was made about his life and is called The Express. It is a TERRIFIC movie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football