U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 AM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,768 times
Reputation: 668

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Really? Why is it that so many SEC fans completely disregard USC? So many SEC fans claim SC is a bad program with archaic history and tradition. What is the deal with you trying to claim SC will only play against Big 10 schools as they hide out at the Rose Bowl afraid to play "a real team?" Is there some oath that SEC fans have to sign that states "Thy will never admit any other conference bearers of the pigskin can ever compete against thy team and fellow conference teams."

It's funny, one could state how USC beats down OCC opponents (except Texas packersnut), has a hoard of Heisman Trophy winners, a slew of National Championships (including 2, yes 2, in the last 5 years. Yeah LSU, blah, blah), the most bowl wins (tied with Bama), a grip of NFL players (both past and present), a ton of Hall of Famers, and yet you can dismiss that as ancient history or simply ignore facts. Why is that? I figure it could have to do with limited intelligence or just complete ignorance. But, what is your take?

Oh yes, the old argument that USC losses to a fellow Pac-10 team. Or is that the Lac-10? So, they lose to a team that sees them every year (a team that has more video, insight and knowledge about how to attempt to stop them). And that team is usually pretty bad, huh? Stanford, Oregon State, even horrible Oregon (you know that team who had the real Heisman winner before going down with an injury). Florida would never lose to a team that is far worse than them...cough, Michigan, cough.

And of course the whole tirade about how USC only plays weak Big 10 teams. Let's be honest, didn't Florida lose to Michigan just a few seasons back? And wasn't that Michigan the same team that lost to, well, you know who. Plus, UM got smashed against Oregon, oh gosh, another weak Pac-10 team (with the real Heisman trophy winner).

I guess I just want to hear a logical argument on why USC is so beneath the SEC. Now, I want facts, scores, records, not opinions. I can easily produce these in defense of USC. Please bring records against SEC opponents, bowl records (UF's is 18-19 correct), etc. Here is a tip that will provide a strong case-USC is 0-1-1 against UF (you beat a 8-3 SC team in '82 and tied a 4-6-1 team in '83- yeah 80-90s were a low point). But, what about the other Gods of the Pigskin? I'm sure USC hasn't beaten any top SEC teams.

Get back to me, ok?
I get tired of the bias, because USC is a big market team near hollywood. every single year, including last year, we heard that USC was the most talented team, and was better than anyone in the country. saying USC has 2 NC's in the last 5 years is, well, a lie. at best you can say they won 1, and shared 1. yes, USC did hide behind the rose bowl for a long time. remember when michigan shared a NC with nebraska? when nebraska had to play #3 tennessee with peyton manning, and michigan got to play crappy ass washington state with ryan leaf. nebraska destroyed tennessee, and michigan barely beat washington state, yet they shared. you would figure that michigan would have played the #4 team in the country or something, but no. they were obligated to play in the rose bowl, even if their opponent was 3-4 losses. that part didn't matter. so yes, the rose bowl was a hiding place for teams for a long time. it's funny. every since that hiding place was taken away, the big 10 has't done too well. I don't recall trashing USC's tradition. they have traditionally been better than florida, but do not have the tradition of, say, an alabama.

so I see that dennis dixon won the heisman. hmmm, cause I could have sworn that tim tebow, the greatest player in college football history (which is actually the topic), won that award. I guess we're giving out awards based on what you think a player can do. sweet. in that case, ki-jana carter is the greatest running back in NFL history.

florida did lose to michigan a year after they destroyed ohio state. florida sucked that year. they had 4 losses. kind failing to see your poing on that one. I admit they sucked.

as for USC beating top SEC teams, um, I can't think of one. unless you are talking about when they beat a couple of 4-5 loss teams like arkansas and auburn a few years back. to brag about that, would be like me bragging that georgia went out and beat arizona state last year.

let's take a look at some of those incredible high draft pick pros that USC has produced.

mike "you want fries with that" williams
reggie bust
matt "the backup" leinart
carson "1 season" palmer

to be fair, reggie isn't really a bust. but let's face it. is a worse version of brian mitchell really worth the number 2 pick?

so in closing, you sad you wanted facts. here are the facts as I know them.

number of NC's for the SEC in the last 3 years: 3
number of NC's for pac 10: 0
number of NC's for the gators: 2
number of NC's for USC: 0
number of times the media has dubbed USC the most talented team in the country: 3.

that's my point. every single year, after the season is complete, pete carroll gets on his soapbox pounding his chest saying "we're the best team in the country." really petey? the best beat the best. the best get to the big game, so petey, you can suck my balls. every year we hear from the media that USC's backups could start anywhere in the country. really? emanuel moody, who actually started for USC, thought the same thing when he transferred to florida. as of last year, he was 5th on the depth chart. so much for that media theory.

so in closing, I never said USC was beneath the SEC. I would love for florida to go out there for the NC and destroy USC on prime time. bet petey boy would shut the F up after that. so those are the facts as I see them. I know I could come with the facts that you came with, like dennis dixon winning the heisman. facts like that, you just can't dispute. as long as USC and SEC teams keep losing 1 game, I guess they will have to wait until the NFL to meet. oh, how'd that work out for top draft pick keith rivers again?


YouTube - Ward blasts Rivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,017,575 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I get tired of the bias, because USC is a big market team near hollywood. every single year, including last year, we heard that USC was the most talented team, and was better than anyone in the country. saying USC has 2 NC's in the last 5 years is, well, a lie. at best you can say they won 1, and shared 1. yes, USC did hide behind the rose bowl for a long time. remember when michigan shared a NC with nebraska? when nebraska had to play #3 tennessee with peyton manning, and michigan got to play crappy ass washington state with ryan leaf. nebraska destroyed tennessee, and michigan barely beat washington state, yet they shared. you would figure that michigan would have played the #4 team in the country or something, but no. they were obligated to play in the rose bowl, even if their opponent was 3-4 losses. that part didn't matter. so yes, the rose bowl was a hiding place for teams for a long time. it's funny. every since that hiding place was taken away, the big 10 has't done too well. I don't recall trashing USC's tradition. they have traditionally been better than florida, but do not have the tradition of, say, an alabama.

so I see that dennis dixon won the heisman. hmmm, cause I could have sworn that tim tebow, the greatest player in college football history (which is actually the topic), won that award. I guess we're giving out awards based on what you think a player can do. sweet. in that case, ki-jana carter is the greatest running back in NFL history.

florida did lose to michigan a year after they destroyed ohio state. florida sucked that year. they had 4 losses. kind failing to see your poing on that one. I admit they sucked.

as for USC beating top SEC teams, um, I can't think of one. unless you are talking about when they beat a couple of 4-5 loss teams like arkansas and auburn a few years back. to brag about that, would be like me bragging that georgia went out and beat arizona state last year.

let's take a look at some of those incredible high draft pick pros that USC has produced.

mike "you want fries with that" williams
reggie bust
matt "the backup" leinart
carson "1 season" palmer

to be fair, reggie isn't really a bust. but let's face it. is a worse version of brian mitchell really worth the number 2 pick?

so in closing, you sad you wanted facts. here are the facts as I know them.

number of NC's for the SEC in the last 3 years: 3
number of NC's for pac 10: 0
number of NC's for the gators: 2
number of NC's for USC: 0
number of times the media has dubbed USC the most talented team in the country: 3.

that's my point. every single year, after the season is complete, pete carroll gets on his soapbox pounding his chest saying "we're the best team in the country." really petey? the best beat the best. the best get to the big game, so petey, you can suck my balls. every year we hear from the media that USC's backups could start anywhere in the country. really? emanuel moody, who actually started for USC, thought the same thing when he transferred to florida. as of last year, he was 5th on the depth chart. so much for that media theory.

so in closing, I never said USC was beneath the SEC. I would love for florida to go out there for the NC and destroy USC on prime time. bet petey boy would shut the F up after that. so those are the facts as I see them. I know I could come with the facts that you came with, like dennis dixon winning the heisman. facts like that, you just can't dispute. as long as USC and SEC teams keep losing 1 game, I guess they will have to wait until the NFL to meet. oh, how'd that work out for top draft pick keith rivers again?


YouTube - Ward blasts Rivers
I actually stopped reading your post when you started in with drivel and no facts. I scanned the rest and saw the facts you included were, well, pathetic. Man, I even gave you a fact that was stronger then anything you presented. How old are you? Are you some pre-pubescent Gator fan that feels that by your team being a champion, you are a champion?

Let's take a look at some facts shall we:

USC vs. the SEC (17-10-1) since 1888

Auburn 2-1
Bama 2-5
Arkansas 4-1
Florida 0-1-1
Georgia 3-0
LSU 1-1
South Carolina 1-1
Tennessee 4-0

USC has won 4 straight in this decade and has outscored the SEC in those games 167-48. I thought the SEC was known for defense, yikes!

Next, the "hiding behind the Rose Bowl Myth." When the Rose Bowl was created, the best football was being played in the Midwest. It was created to bring Eastern teams to California for an annual East-West game. The early PCC/Big 9 conferences agreed to play annually. Teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota where the best then (I refuse to say the Catholics, but they were good too). In fact, the Rose Bowl allowed only desegregated schools (with a few exceptions from time to time) to play and we all know the South took an awfully loooong time to desegregate and come out of the Dark Ages. But, the Sugar Bowl had no problems with segregation. The Sugar Bowl was set up for Southern teams to play. In fact, the Sugar Bowl has had only about 8 games where an SEC team was not represented. So, like the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl has had tie-ins forever.

So, USC does not hide behind anything. For a very long time the SEC was rather irrevelent except for Alabama and Bama has played SC 6 times. The scary thing is the SEC's refusal to leave the South, something that is slowly changing.

As far as NFL talent goes, please refer back before the last 3-4 years. There was football back in the ancient days of say, 1998.


YouTube - Dennis Dixon for Heisman (Prior to ACL injury)

I'm done. I cannot waste anymore time talking to pumpkins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,768 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I actually stopped reading your post when you started in with drivel and no facts. I scanned the rest and saw the facts you included were, well, pathetic. Man, I even gave you a fact that was stronger then anything you presented. How old are you? Are you some pre-pubescent Gator fan that feels that by your team being a champion, you are a champion?

Let's take a look at some facts shall we:

USC vs. the SEC (17-10-1) since 1888

Auburn 2-1
Bama 2-5
Arkansas 4-1
Florida 0-1-1
Georgia 3-0
LSU 1-1
South Carolina 1-1
Tennessee 4-0

USC has won 4 straight in this decade and has outscored the SEC in those games 167-48. I thought the SEC was known for defense, yikes!

Next, the "hiding behind the Rose Bowl Myth." When the Rose Bowl was created, the best football was being played in the Midwest. It was created to bring Eastern teams to California for an annual East-West game. The early PCC/Big 9 conferences agreed to play annually. Teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota where the best then (I refuse to say the Catholics, but they were good too). In fact, the Rose Bowl allowed only desegregated schools (with a few exceptions from time to time) to play and we all know the South took an awfully loooong time to desegregate and come out of the Dark Ages. But, the Sugar Bowl had no problems with segregation. The Sugar Bowl was set up for Southern teams to play. In fact, the Sugar Bowl has had only about 8 games where an SEC team was not represented. So, like the Rose Bowl, the Sugar Bowl has had tie-ins forever.

So, USC does not hide behind anything. For a very long time the SEC was rather irrevelent except for Alabama and Bama has played SC 6 times. The scary thing is the SEC's refusal to leave the South, something that is slowly changing.

As far as NFL talent goes, please refer back before the last 3-4 years. There was football back in the ancient days of say, 1998.


YouTube - Dennis Dixon for Heisman (Prior to ACL injury)

I'm done. I cannot waste anymore time talking to pumpkins
I stopped reading your post after you said you stopped reading mine.

topic

who is the best player in college football history?

answer

tim tebow

nice dixon video. here is a picture of tim tebow from that year.

http://www.clarionledger.com/misc/blogs/kyleveazey/uploaded_images/Heisman-Trophy-767895.JPG (broken link)

Last edited by thefinalsay; 07-25-2009 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 04:20 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Reputation: 1825
this guy is alot more annoying than PGH ever was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 05:26 PM
 
Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,208,768 times
Reputation: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
this guy is alot more annoying than PGH ever was.

dude, it's called friendly smack talking. you're the one who takes it personally. it's a game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
dude, it's called friendly smack talking. you're the one who takes it personally. it's a game.
heh. well then, welcome back PGH. The 3rd reincarnation? This new one is xtra sassy. lol.

"Takes it personally", lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,844 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
who is the best player in college football history?

answer

tim tebow



That's funny, he wasn't even the best QB in the league last year.


You had the wrong picture of Tebows heisman, this is what his looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2009, 01:52 PM
 
Location: California
2,011 posts, read 2,012,098 times
Reputation: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That's funny, he wasn't even the best QB in the league last year.


You had the wrong picture of Tebows heisman, this is what his looks like.
Now that is a funny Heisman!! And there was nothing personal about it.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 07-29-2009 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top