U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 06:28 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
My vote goes to South Carolina fans - the program as a whole has not accomplished much in its history but they still pack Williams-Brice regardless.

Nebbish has sold out for 300 plus games (starting in 1962) and still counting, unbelievable!! Thats what I call passionate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM

977 posts, read 1,631,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
As I say, it's easy to support a winner, but it's not so easy to support a team that loses often.
Unless you're a Nebraska fan, in which case you continue selling out games and breaking attendance records even during the Bill Callahan era against teams like New Mexico State. Hit 300 straight sellouts last week against LA-Lafayette.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:44 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,409,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Unless you're a Nebraska fan, in which case you continue selling out games and breaking attendance records even during the Bill Callahan era against teams like New Mexico State. Hit 300 straight sellouts last week against LA-Lafayette.
Well Nebraska is certainly up there at the top, but they're a storied program and in the BCS. We've had like 4 good seasons in our entire history and were thrown out of the BCS Big East.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:55 AM

968 posts, read 1,526,735 times
Quote:
Well Nebraska is certainly up there at the top, but they're a storied program and in the BCS. We've had like 4 good seasons in our entire history and were thrown out of the BCS Big East.
Yea, I've seen many a game that was "sold-out" but with many empty seats in the stands. I was a bit disappointed that SC didn't pack the house when they played Ole Miss, though.

7 seasons of Callahan is really nothing compared to 11 bowl appearances and only 3 bowl wins since 1892!!

That being said - I would tip my hat to Nebraska fans because of the 300+ sellouts!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM

70 posts, read 121,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I have heard nebraska fans are the best, and the most friendly.
Nebraska fans are some of the most knowledgeable and best in college football.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM

70 posts, read 121,868 times
Quote:
I'm going to throw a curveball here and say my fellow Temple Owls fans. Sure, we can't really say we get great attendance, but we're the only team in NCAA history to get thrown out of its conference, we haven't been to a Bowl Game since 1976 (before I was born), and we haven't had a winning season since 1990, yet we still love our Owls and refuse to give up on them. Thankfully, we seemingly have turned the corner, and were predicted by many to win our division and make a Bowl Game.

So that's the opposite stance from the school-that-has-great-attendance-and-wins-consistently.

As I say, it's easy to support a winner, but it's not so easy to support a team that loses often.
Good for you. That's the meaning of a true fan!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,233,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Nebbish has sold out for 300 plus games (starting in 1962) and still counting, unbelievable!! Thats what I call passionate.
I agree, Nebraska has great fans, no question about that. I've always liked to see Nebraska win.

In defense of the Gamecocks -

few programs can draw 80,000 per game during back to back 1-10 and 0-11 seasons.

Last edited by le roi; 10-02-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I am basing this on personal experience as well as what I have seen on broadcast television. I will name some teams that I despise, but just because a team should be loathed, doesn't mean their fans aren't passionate.

1. Nebraska. We have sucked for 7 years and are still breaking attendance records. You really have to be in Lincoln for gameday to understand exactly how much Huskers football rules the entire state. Nebraska will hit 300 consecutive sellouts this year...a streak that dates back to 1962. No one can really touch that level of fan devotion.

2. Notre Dame
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC
6. Florida
7. Oklahoma
8. Ohio State
9. Georgia
10. Boise State

Dishonorable Mention:
1. Michigan. Amazing what a loss to Appalachian State can do. Two years of empty seats since then.
2. LSU. Maybe there was something in the water last year, but they sure didn't want to stick around. It took another 12 hours before most people in Baton Rouge knew they actually beat Troy.
I hate Ohio State but there is no way USC and Florida belong above them in fan passion.

South Carolina should be on there. They have never been that good and still get 70-80k in the stadium.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:49 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times
Quote:
But it was the attendance clause that got them tossed wasn't it?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,871 times
LOL @ USC fans being even listed in the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football