U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,702 times

Advertisements

I am still very confused on why so much stake is put in polling so early before the season really gets underway. Not to mention the fact that the entire ordeal lacks any real structured playoffs like the pros. Wouldn't the NCAA GAIN from having such a system?

Don't get me wrong I like Bowl Games (As an ACC guy, I'm lucky we have so many bowls now so we can actually get into one).

Also, does anyone feel that maybe there are TOO MANY bowls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:48 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
yes - there are two rankings that matter very much

the writers poll and the coaches poll

the polls factor into your BCS ranking, which can determine elligibility for the major bowls

rankings are a great marketing tool as well .... they get people excited and can add hype to early season matchups ...... it looks good on TV to have #4 v #11 and stuff like that

however, the issue is that while a bad team that was overrated to start can fall semi-easily ........ it's very, very difficult for an unranked team to get up to the elite rankings if they prove they are better than they thought

also the ranking play into the thought process of how to rank teams .... well XYZ lost to the #4 team, so it wasn't that bad ..... ABC beat the #12 team, they need to be up that high, etc

i hate preseason rankings

Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,675,795 times
The Pre season polls are the DUMBEST thing in college football, well maybe not the dumbest the BCS is right up there. Sadly there won't be a playoff because ESPN has a long term deal with the BCS through 2013 I think. I say if the NCAA basketball Tournement is hugh in this country imagine what one would be like for the best loved sport, college football. To go Mike Gundy, It's garbage the people in charge of it are garbage.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yes - there are two rankings that matter very much

the writers poll and the coaches poll

the polls factor into your BCS ranking, which can determine elligibility for the major bowls

rankings are a great marketing tool as well .... they get people excited and can add hype to early season matchups ...... it looks good on TV to have #4 v #11 and stuff like that

however, the issue is that while a bad team that was overrated to start can fall semi-easily ........ it's very, very difficult for an unranked team to get up to the elite rankings if they prove they are better than they thought

also the ranking play into the thought process of how to rank teams .... well XYZ lost to the #4 team, so it wasn't that bad ..... ABC beat the #12 team, they need to be up that high, etc

i hate preseason rankings
Why is it hard for late bloomers to get into the polls if they prove that they are good?

Old 07-31-2009, 03:47 PM

9,030 posts, read 16,453,674 times
because it is hard to find justification for them to "jump" another team

it takes the first half of the season for that team to start to get recognition and then it's hard to start moving up ...... if two teams win over like competition it's hard to have one pass the other

so the fact they started behind can ultimately keep them behind

Old 07-31-2009, 05:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,675,795 times
In the 2008 pre season AP poll you have:

Mizzu ranked 6th finished unranked
LSU 7th finished unranked
Clemson 9th finished unranked
Wisconsin 13th finished unranked
Kansas 14th finished unranked
Arizona St 15th finished unranked
Tennessee 18th finished unranked
South Florida 19th finished unranked
Illinois 20th finished unranked
Wake Forrest 23rd finished unranked
Pittsburgh 25th finished unranked

Again proving the Pre Season polls are GARBAGE

Old 07-31-2009, 05:43 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,003,542 times
And in the 2008 final standings AP poll:

Florida
Utah
USC
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
TCU
Penn State
Ohio State
Oregon, and the team I pull for, Boise State, comes in 11th with a 12-1 record. The preseason AP poll opinion is consistent, I'll give them that. They were wrong on on EVERY pick.

Pre Season polls? I'm not commenting any further!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:08 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
And in the 2008 final standings AP poll:

Florida
Utah
USC
Texas
Oklahoma
Alabama
TCU
Penn State
Ohio State
Oregon, and the team I pull for, Boise State, comes in 11th with a 12-1 record. The preseason AP poll opinion is consistent, I'll give them that. They were wrong on on EVERY pick.

Pre Season polls? I'm not commenting any further!
U root for BSU?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 PM

1,815 posts, read 2,093,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I am still very confused on why so much stake is put in polling so early before the season really gets underway. Not to mention the fact that the entire ordeal lacks any real structured playoffs like the pros. Wouldn't the NCAA GAIN from having such a system?
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post

Don't get me wrong I like Bowl Games (As an ACC guy, I'm lucky we have so many bowls now so we can actually get into one).

Also, does anyone feel that maybe there are TOO MANY bowls?

Walt, you bring up an excellent point. The College AP Football pool is absolutely useless, as is the BCS championship system. I'm not going to delve into great detail, but if you research the University of Utah and Boise State's football perfomances for the last few years, you may ask yourself "is the BCS/AP rating truly a valid assessment?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football