U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:29 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,970,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm down with ECU (even if my Cougars trashed you guys at home last season), but Greenville, NC has nothing the BE wants.

Unless the instructor for your public health grad school I talked to recently is off in his math...you're five hours from Charlotte in the middle of nowhere....and that sinks the ship. You should draw well there. Of course, sell everyone on busing it down 95 and you're set.

In football, the current bunch either is a semi-relevant name or is in a sizable market. Or both.

Word is that Central Florida and/or Memphis would get plucked from C-USA first. Orlando is what it is and there are sweet facilities there as well and Memphis bouncyball isn't going to be too shabby once they get over Calipari moving on.

Hell Im not saying were even in consideration for a spot.

We have just as good if not better facilities than UCF. They have a 13,000ft strength facility whereas ours is 52,000. We currently hold 43,000 going to 50,000 in attendance (I think they are at 45,000 or so, not sure).

They have more students and Orlando, that's it. And most people in Orlando dont care about UCF. Not to mention much better history.

We're only 3hrs from Charlotte. (my time )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,447,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
Hell Im not saying were even in consideration for a spot.

We have just as good if not better facilities than UCF. They have a 13,000ft strength facility whereas ours is 52,000. We currently hold 43,000 going to 50,000 in attendance (I think they are at 45,000 or so, not sure).

They have more students and Orlando, that's it. And most people in Orlando dont care about UCF. Not to mention much better history.

We're only 3hrs from Charlotte. (my time )
Plus, I know many ECU fans here in the Charlotte area...plus, I'm sure they are well repped in the Triangle too...I agree, of the non BCS schools, ECU would make some sense...Navy is another one that makes sense...UCF makes the least sense...b/c a) already have USF so it won't add any more market & b) they are far from being as good as USF is.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 4,553,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I address your Big East bowl comment in a prior response. As far as West Virginia is concerned, I don't recall them being in the northeast, or recruiting there. Big win against Georgia though, that was more like 4 seasons ago.

Yeah? South Carolina beat NC State last year, and UNC the year before that. We weren't even any good. Hell, UNC backed out of our 2010 game last week. Beating North Carolina schools is nothing to brag about, its like abusing little mongoloid children.

Perhaps I am confusing who you are referring too. West Virginia is in the Big East, right? Are you knocking the Big East or football players from the Northeast?

Beating North Carolina schools is nothing to brag about? Are they not from the south?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,297,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Perhaps I am confusing who you are referring too. West Virginia is in the Big East, right?
yes.

Quote:
Are you knocking the Big East or football players from the Northeast?
college football popularity in the northeast, talent in the northeast, and schools that recruit that talent.

Quote:
Beating North Carolina schools is nothing to brag about?
It is certainly not a good enough justification to claim the Big East is "doing well", as you put it.

Quote:
Are they not from the south?
They are.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
yes.

college football popularity in the northeast, talent in the northeast, and schools that recruit that talent.

It is certainly not a good enough justification to claim the Big East is "doing well", as you put it.

They are.

You make some pretty big generalizations. College football is very popular in NJ, PA, MA, and NY. I've lived there. To say that schools don't recruit there is asinine and proven to be false. Why do you care about how popular it is in the northeast anyway?

You are ready to kill the Big East, yet say that the ACC (A southern conference with a school in the Northeast in it) is just "down". Nothing but excuses. Perhaps the Big East is in it's down year. Regardless, NJ kids accounted for 7 first round picks in the draft this year. No other state can say that.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,297,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
College football is very popular in NJ, PA, MA, and NY. I've lived there.
Compared to who, China?

College football is only popular in PA, and they're mostly Penn State fans, who is in the Big Ten.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...dance/2008.pdf

Quote:
To say that schools don't recruit there is asinine and proven to be false.
I didn't say that schools don't recruit there. I said that there are very few BCS-caliber athletes to recruit there, and that is true.

Quote:
Why do you care about how popular it is in the northeast anyway?
Because it is an integral part of the discussion: "Big East: Need of lifeline or just growing time?"

Quote:
You are ready to kill the Big East,
I didn't say that. I just said that the B. East will suck in football as long as it is a northeastern conference.

Quote:
yet say that the ACC (A southern conference with a school in the Northeast in it) is just "down".
I didn't say that either.

Quote:
NJ kids accounted for 7 first round picks in the draft this year. No other state can say that.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/10208667-post23.html

Totally irrelevant.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,781 times
Why exactly are there so few big talents in the northeast? Is it just cause high school football programs are worst than the south?

Also while college football does have some huge in the south and midwest, is it correct to say it has only moderate popularity? (Pro teams are tough to compete against for market share).

The Big East redid it's bowl lineup so that the 2nd draft pick goes to the champs sports bowl. We lost the Sun Bowl for the ACC.

Bulls Report - Brett McMurphy - Tools - from TBO.com Blogs

Some forum posters at ESPN like that ND doesn't get equal billing at the Champs (are only eligible every 4 years) so it seems more fair than the split difference that the Gator Bowl lineup provided.

However, I still think that college fandom is traditional enough to equate major bowls, and major talent with bowls on or right around New Years.

If it's not Sun, Gator, Cotton, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta or Citrus (alias Capital One) it seems like it's less important cause historically theyre on the big 3 networks nationwide and top teams have gone to em. Anyone else feel that?

I think its a bit of a hit to not have the Sun Bowl. Big East has a lot to prove. One guy on another forum said if the conference doesn't shape up, the Orange Bowl will drop em next contract. I support the Big East, but I see logic in that argument. Any comments?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Compared to who, China?

College football is only popular in PA, and they're mostly Penn State fans, who is in the Big Ten.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...dance/2008.pdf

You are using game attendance as a measure of popularity???? Give me a break. New York city is the #1 Metropolitan place IN THE WORLD. The population of NYC alone tells you how many people are college football fans. I'm from NJ and actually have lived in the Northeast and can tell you that college football is PLENTY popular.
I'm sorry that the stadiums don't hold 100,000 in the Northeast. Rutgers Stadium is undergoing an expansion however.

I didn't say that schools don't recruit there. I said that there are very few BCS-caliber athletes to recruit there, and that is true.

They aren't BCS-Caliber, but the NFL just ate up 7 of them from ONE state in ONE round. USC, Florida, Notre Dame, Rutgers, BC, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, UConn, Texas, LSU, FSU, Oklahoma, etc. would disagree with you since they all have players from NJ let alone from the Northeast.

Don Bosco Prep, NJ is ranked #5 in the country in football. I am sure they'll be plenty of recruits at their games.

I didn't say that. I just said that the B. East will suck in football as long as it is a northeastern conference.

Oh, that's soo much better. They don't suck in football. I will use the same lame excuse you are using for the ACC "It's a down year".

http://www.city-data.com/forum/10208667-post23.html

Totally irrelevant.

It's not irrelevant. You are arguing how the northeast doesn't put out "BCS-caliber" athletes, yet they sure can put out NFL players, can't they?
Did someone from NJ beat you up or something? You have no ground to stand on when you want to argue how popular college football is in the northeast or how their athletes are "lacking". Have YOU even played a sport?? (Cue the "I was All-State in football in 1998 in 3...2....1........")

You want to say that college football in the South is more popular than the northeast, I wouldn't disagree with that statement. The rest of your statements though are just flat untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football