Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Agree with everything you said, cept for Penn State deal. It gains little from being in Big East aside from maybe television revenue. But as much as I support Big East football, few are gonna be interested in Penn State fighting anyone of ours before we have breakout, high caliber SUSTAINED success.
institutionally it is a great fit with the Big Ten. PSU is more like the typical large flagship midwestern university than anything else on the east coast. And truthfully nobody in the east could really provide the quality of long term rival as does Ohio State.

So obviously Penn State isn't nor shouldn't go anywhere. But keep this in mind: change is constant. And at some point if the Big East ends up being the regional equivalent of the Big Ten, Pac Ten, SEC, etc., with a similiar top to bottom membership, "coming home" might look good to Penn State. That's iffy....and the "if" is a long, long way off if it were even to be considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Desperation.

The Big East's problem is that there aren't enough good high school football players coming out of the northeast.

Recruit Query
Funny how there were 7 kids from NJ alone drafted in the first round this past year.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Funny how there were 7 kids from NJ alone drafted in the first round this past year.
Ok. Everyone has their good year, too bad only two of them went to Big East schools.

Now let's look at the big picture. This includes New Jersey's freak year of 2009.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ry-graphic.htm
First round draft picks by state, 1990-2009, selected states:

New Jersey - 21
Pennsylvania - 17
New York - 8
Massachussetts - 4
Connecticut - 3
ME, NH, VT, MA, RI - 0

compare to:

Florida - 80
Georgia - 34
North Carolina - 24
South Carolina - 24
Louisiana - 23
Virginia - 19
Alabama - 17
Mississippi - 16

Little old South Carolina, with a population of 3 million, has produced more 1st round draft picks than the state of New York, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey.

This is why I say the Big East won't do well in football, because apparently nobody in the northeast plays football. Their only hope is to diversify geographically, which they have accomplished to some degree.

Last edited by le roi; 08-10-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
fully agree. the BCS can't exist without any region, certainly not one as important as the northeast.
Have you ever watched SEC hockey?

College sports can certainly exist without the substantial participation of a particular region.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cville<>centerville View Post
I don't understand why the Big East keeps getting knocked. Here's some simple facts about the NBE (New Big East). In the last four years...
1) The BE is 12-4 in bowl games. (big ten was 1-6 in last year alone)

2) The BE is 3-1 in BCS bowls

3) WVU is 2-0 in BCS bowls (WVU 38-35 over SEC Champ UGA in Atlanta, WVU 48-28 over #3 OK in the Fiesta after loosing their head coach)

Keep in mind, that until 2008, the ACC was 1-9 in BCS bowls (which was a win over then BE member, VT by FSU). Their most recent win came from a NBE in a down year (aka, WVU in transition) with a competitive loss by Cinci to VT.

So I pose the question.. why is there ANY talk about the BE not being able to compete when other conferences have performed much worse in recent years? How much more does the big east need to do to get rid of this nonsense? the MWC has one decent year and all of the sudden can compete with the big boys?

One more note, VT was 4th place in the BE its last 2-3 years, and has come into the ACC and dominated. Going by that barometer, which conference was/is tougher (granted, Miami has tanked, but BC has also been one of the ACC's best teams while only being in the middle of the pack in the BE)?
[/SIZE]
The ACC sucks right now, so that's not really much of a target to shoot for.

As far as your statistics - I will grant you that the Big East has exceeded all expectations in BCS games.

As far as the other bowls go, you should know that overall bowl records are meaningless, apples to oranges comparisons. First off, not all bowls are equally competitive - second, not all bowls have even matchups. If the #2 Big East school were to beat the #6 Big 12 school, that would not be impressive.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Ok. Everyone has their good year, too bad only two of them went to Big East schools.

Makes no difference what school they went to. Basically, most went to schools in other regions and took a starting position from a local kid in many cases.

Now let's look at the big picture. This includes New Jersey's freak year of 2009.

NFL draft history: Where the talent comes from - USATODAY.com
First round draft picks by state, 1990-2009, selected states:

New Jersey - 21
Pennsylvania - 17
New York - 8
Massachussetts - 4
Connecticut - 3
ME, NH, VT, MA, RI - 0

compare to:

Florida - 80
Georgia - 34
North Carolina - 24
South Carolina - 24
Louisiana - 23
Virginia - 19
Alabama - 17
Mississippi - 16

Little old South Carolina, with a population of 3 million, has produced more 1st round draft picks than the state of New York, Pennsylvania, or New Jersey.

This is why I say the Big East won't do well in football, because apparently nobody in the northeast plays football. Their only hope is to diversify geographically, which they have accomplished to some degree.
I do believe the Big East has a pretty impressive bowl record as of late AND the SEC is 6-6 all time versus the Big East in bowls. Didn't West Virginia beat Georgia in Georgia's backyard 2 years ago?

They play plenty of football in the northeast and it's the biggest sporting event of all high school sports. Wrestling and hockey are huge as well and these sports aren't big in the south.

I love SEC football. It's the best conference in the league and has been IMO for a while. That being said, the Big East has already done well in football and will continue to do so. Don't forget; Rutgers beat NC State last year in a bowl as well as WVU beat UNC. .

Old 08-10-2009, 05:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Have you ever watched SEC hockey?

College sports can certainly exist without the substantial participation of a particular region.
Have you ever watched ANY NCAA hockey? 90% of the people on here would say.........no. Apples and Oranges.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I do believe the Big East has a pretty impressive bowl record as of late AND the SEC is 6-6 all time versus the Big East in bowls. Didn't West Virginia beat Georgia in Georgia's backyard 2 years ago?
I address your Big East bowl comment in a prior response. As far as West Virginia is concerned, I don't recall them being in the northeast, or recruiting there. Big win against Georgia though, that was more like 4 seasons ago.

Quote:
Don't forget; Rutgers beat NC State last year in a bowl as well as WVU beat UNC. .
Yeah? South Carolina beat NC State last year, and UNC the year before that. We weren't even any good. Hell, UNC backed out of our 2010 game last week. Beating North Carolina schools is nothing to brag about, its like abusing little mongoloid children.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,515,195 times
The BE just needs to go ahead and offer ECU a football only spot.

We'll give them a presence in NC (surrounded by ACC and SEC). We have one of the best fanbases of "non big-6" schools. Hell we averaged about 43,000 last year and are expanding to 50,000 after this year.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
The BE just needs to go ahead and offer ECU a football only spot.

We'll give them a presence in NC (surrounded by ACC and SEC). We have one of the best fanbases of "non big-6" schools. Hell we averaged about 43,000 last year and are expanding to 50,000 after this year.
Don't get me wrong, I'm down with ECU (even if my Cougars trashed you guys at home last season), but Greenville, NC has nothing the BE wants.

Unless the instructor for your public health grad school I talked to recently is off in his math...you're five hours from Charlotte in the middle of nowhere....and that sinks the ship. You should draw well there. Of course, sell everyone on busing it down 95 and you're set.

In football, the current bunch either is a semi-relevant name or is in a sizable market. Or both.

Word is that Central Florida and/or Memphis would get plucked from C-USA first. Orlando is what it is and there are sweet facilities there as well and Memphis bouncyball isn't going to be too shabby once they get over Calipari moving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football