U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:55 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,206,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
I think everyone is ranked too high! My opinion is that the first poll should come out after 3 weeks in to the season.

Ive said this for quite a few years. Even though we pretty much know how good Florida is gonna be, can we really tell while they are playing their cupcake non-con schedule? Really the only thing the preseason poll takes into account is changes in personnel, recruiting, and how the team did last year. It's a guessing game that really ruins it for other teams. I also think it would make the season more exciting and spark more discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 03:01 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,011,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Ive said this for quite a few years. Even though we pretty much know how good Florida is gonna be, can we really tell while they are playing their cupcake non-con schedule? Really the only thing the preseason poll takes into account is changes in personnel, recruiting, and how the team did last year. It's a guessing game that really ruins it for other teams. I also think it would make the season more exciting and spark more discussion.
I would love to see UF play a decent OOC team. They have a great team this year, and would love to see them play against a USC or Texas. They should have an annual big intersection rivalry game. I saw their cup cake OOC schedule and laughed!! I wonder why they didn't try to get the Sisters of Mercy to play them. Were they too good last year? Sorry the Fla. State game doesn't mean anything anymore, at least not at the moment.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,546,160 times
Florida in my opinion plays in one of the toughest conferences,if not the toughest conference in the country. This is coming from a person who is not a true Gator fan,I like them but I like the Miami Hurricanes better.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:52 PM

True, but UF has no choice on their conference shedule. Your OOC schedule shows if you truly take on all comers, and I don't see that in UF. Plus they don't play everyone in their conference! They maybe play one or two conf. teams that can truly beat UF. Maybe that's a tribute to how good UF is. But I still would like to see them play a good OOC team.

USC for instance, has only 3 OOC games. In those 3 games, they play two tradtional powers, Ohio State and Notre Dame. I know ND isn't any good anymore, but that's another discussion for another day.

I would love to see UF play a OOC schedule like that.

Last edited by Just One of the Guys; 08-11-2009 at 04:27 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:54 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times
The SEC is the best conference right now. BUT, and notice it is a huge, bold, italicized, green, underlined "but." The SEC is not so far ahead of other conferences (especially the Big 12 and Pac-10) that it excuses the pathetic OOC scheduling. Now, LSU, Tennessee and Georgia are beginning to step up and play BCS conference teams out of their region and even on the road...so a big kudos to them, finally. The argument that the SEC is tough top to bottom is false and only a moron or major SEC homer believes that. So, playing Vandy, Miss St. is like playing an average mid major at best. In fact, when you have SEC teams losing to the likes of LA TEch, Wyoming and beating the mighty Wofford program 23-13, proves that the conference schedule is not unmanageable...because those SEC teams are sorry.

Florida needs to step up and play better OOC opponents. Their future OOC opponents include the juggernauts of Miami (OH), Jacksonville State, Furman, Toledo...are you kidding me?

Sadly, we can sit here all we want and say the polls should come out after week 3, 4, or 5 but everyone knows certain teams will still be ranked higher regardless if they played high school teams or won a barn burner 3-2 (yeah Auburn, I remeber that display of offensive ineptitude).

Not to get off topic, but I clearly remember Auburn complaining about being left out of the NC (which they have every right to), but their OOC schedule was pathetic: La-Monroe, Citadel, and La Tech. Compare that to USC's VaTEch, Colo. State and BYU and OU's Bowling Green, Houston and Oregon. Their OOC was certainly 3rd out of the three IMO. Now, strength of schedule is not considered like it used to be, but one thing is for sure, Florida would not beat USC, Texas, etc. 57-6 like they do the Citadel.

And as a Duck fan I realize they will make runs at the BCS/NC probably every few years and hopefully win one soon. We probably will not be considered every year like the OUs, Texas' and UFs, but, I also know we will be going into Knoxville and whupping more SEC a$$ (UT is sorry lately) and not some creampuff factory in Jacksonville.

Last edited by Acuda; 08-11-2009 at 05:10 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 06:20 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,206,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Florida in my opinion plays in one of the toughest conferences,if not the toughest conference in the country. This is coming from a person who is not a true Gator fan,I like them but I like the Miami Hurricanes better.

I agree. Even though I'm a diehard ACC fan, I REALLY enjoy and follow SEC football. However, that does not take away the fact that their OOC is completely ridiculous. Plus, their Conference schedule isnt that tough.

Alabama is also guilty of this.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:30 PM

3,772 posts, read 9,546,160 times
If Tim Tebow hadn't returned ,I doubt seriously Florida would have been ranked in the Top 10 by any poll in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:10 PM

63 posts, read 147,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I agree. Even though I'm a diehard ACC fan, I REALLY enjoy and follow SEC football. However, that does not take away the fact that their OOC is completely ridiculous. Plus, their Conference schedule isnt that tough.

Alabama is also guilty of this.
I hate to take up for Alabama (BIG LSU Fan here), but they did play Clemson to start the season (which at the time was a top 10 team) and are opening against Va Tech this year. They also are scheduled to play Penn St. in 2010.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared422 View Post
I hate to take up for Alabama (BIG LSU Fan here), but they did play Clemson to start the season (which at the time was a top 10 team) and are opening against Va Tech this year. They also are scheduled to play Penn St. in 2010.
VaTech will be a big test. Good for them to schedule them, but Florida International, North Texas and Chattanooga?

2010 looks actually decent...sort of...by a teeny tiny margin.
Penn State, San Jose State, Duke, Georgia State...

Old 08-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Check out Florida International!! Now they play a great OOC schedule!! They play Alabama, Rutgers, Toledo and Florida. This might be the best OOC schedule of any team in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football