U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,026,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
If I am not mistaken; the Big Ten tends to play the majority of their games intraconference....
Yes, of course they do. However, if you look at the Big 10 OOC schedule you will notice that they play mostly very weak teams, thus insuring at least a 4-0, 3-1 record. That means some of the Big 10 teams only have to squeak out 3-4 more wins to get into a lowly ol' bowl game. They can beat the h*ll out of each other and still get into a bowl game because they whipped the Akrons, Deleware States, Eastern Michigans of the football world.

In fact, the Big 10 plays only 32% of their OOC games against BCS conference teams and a whopping 48% of OOC games against D-II schools...lame. So, who cares if the Big 10 gets 8 teams in bowl games? But, do not fret Midwesterners, the SEC has an even worse OOC schedule.

The Big 10 will get more teams in bowl games...yeah for them! What were they last year, 1-6 in bowl games?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:24 AM

3,446 posts, read 5,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Big Ten gets 8 this year:

OSU
PSU
Wisc
Mich St
Iowa
Illinois
Michigan
Purdue
I say Northwestern knocks Iowa or Illinois out of a bowl bid. Of course, that is expecting a lot from Wisky (Badgerdom is antsy) and Michigan (3-9 is a long way to leap from) to be safely tucked in, too. So, NW should be safe, IMO.

The Pat Fitty bandwagon is getting started.

You also omitted Minnesota.

Not a good start here.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:43 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,640,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
I say Northwestern knocks Iowa or Illinois out of a bowl bid. Of course, that is expecting a lot from Wisky (Badgerdom is antsy) and Michigan (3-9 is a long way to leap from) to be safely tucked in, too. So, NW should be safe, IMO.

The Pat Fitty bandwagon is getting started.

You also omitted Minnesota.

Not a good start here.
I agree that the Big Ten Conference is unpredictable and some of those picks may shuffle; but the conference should still tie for most bowl invitations.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:16 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,160,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
However, if you look at the Big 10 OOC schedule you will notice that they play mostly very weak teams, thus insuring at least a 4-0, 3-1 record.
Purdue in particular has a very weak OOC:

vs. Toledo
@ Oregon
vs. No. Illinois
vs. Notre Dame

Anything less that 4-0 is UNACCEPTABLE!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:

vs. Toledo
@ Oregon
vs. No. Illinois
vs. Notre Dame

I hate to admit it but Penn State's O.O.C. looks pretty weak too.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 AM

977 posts, read 1,636,057 times
Purdue will lose to Oregon, and probably Notre Dame.

No one has mentioned the Big 12 yet. You can pretty much count on 8:

Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Missouri
Colorado

I will go out on a limb and say that Baylor has an outside shot too. Unlikely, but possible if they can play consistently, and pull off one good upset.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,026,408 times
Quote:

vs. Toledo
@ Oregon
vs. No. Illinois
vs. Notre Dame

Oregon is going to smash Purdon't. It will not be close and expect the Boilermakers to lose by at least 3 scores in Autzen.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:24 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,160,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Purdue will lose to Oregon, and probably Notre Dame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Oregon is going to smash Purdon't. It will not be close and expect the Boilermakers to lose by at least 3 scores in Autzen.
I guess tounge-in-cheek posting is not something that goes over well on this forum.

I certainly think Purdue is going to beat Notre Dame. Purdue's offense is full of questions, but our defense is loaded. In all honesty, I think if Purdue can get to 2-2; they are bowling. 5-3 against the Big Ten will happen.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I guess tounge-in-cheek posting is not something that goes over well on this forum.

I certainly think Purdue is going to beat Notre Dame. Purdue's offense is full of questions, but our defense is loaded. In all honesty, I think if Purdue can get to 2-2; they are bowling. 5-3 against the Big Ten will happen.
The Big Ten is always full of surprises especially when playing within their own conference.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
They always hand the most bowl games to the Big 10, even though the Pac 10 usually wins more bowl games. USC has gotten jipped by the BCS the last two years by not being invited to the championsip game, when they would have easily beaten either of the teams that were in them.
I agree with your Big Ten assessment; politics and national audience draw, are a big part of the "equation"; The Big Ten has a huge following along with some of the largest stadiums in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or