U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
2,290 posts, read 5,042,946 times
Reputation: 786

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
I for one am a Redskin fan and don't like the Eagles but I wish Vick the best of luck. What he did was wrong, and frankly just plain strange. I for one would get no enjoyment out of attending a dog fight. However, I wanted the Redskins to sign him, and believe in second chances. Everyone here bashing him has problems and sins just like he does. People saying there are still morals and it is immoral to sign him, I disagree. It is wrong to black list all people who make poor judgement calls. Give him a chance. Also, I don't get the point about Eagles fans being hypocrites. Sure, if the Cowboys signed him the Eagles fans would jeer and taunt him, but thats true with every player. Do you think if McNabb played for the Cowboys that Eagles fans would love him? Of course not. Thats just sports. You root for your players and not the other teams.
I agree with this. When someone breaks the law; gets punished; confesses their wrongdoing; apologizes for it; does things to make it right; and goes out and finds gainful employment to provide for himself and his family ...

society has no valid reason to demand any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I agree with this. When someone breaks the law; gets punished; confesses their wrongdoing; apologizes for it; does things to make it right; and goes out and finds gainful employment to provide for himself and his family ...

society has no valid reason to demand any more.
Fact is, there are no do-overs in life. The baggage Vick chose to burden himself with is his for life no matter the consequences and legal obligations. How many of you out there saying... "he's paid his debt, leave him alone" would feel the same way towards a sex offender that moved in next door to you? Should they also have the slate wiped clean? Most likely you'd be at the head of the mob with pitchforks running them out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
402 posts, read 760,029 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Fact is, there are no do-overs in life. The baggage Vick chose to burden himself with is his for life no matter the consequences and legal obligations. How many of you out there saying... "he's paid his debt, leave him alone" would feel the same way towards a sex offender that moved in next door to you? Should they also have the slate wiped clean? Most likely you'd be at the head of the mob with pitchforks running them out of town.
So what do you want ex-cons to do, kill themselves? If you think they should be exluded from soceity with no job then they are as good as dead. And if a ex-con moved into my neighborhood then so be it. I'm not expecting him or her to live in a cave the rest of their life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by nva79 View Post
So what do you want ex-cons to do, kill themselves? If you think they should be exluded from soceity with no job then they are as good as dead. And if a ex-con moved into my neighborhood then so be it. I'm not expecting him or her to live in a cave the rest of their life.
I think he (they) have a right to get a job within reason. But, that doesn't mean that they get a free pass once the legal obligations are finished. Michael Vick is not a victim no matter how tough the road gets for him from here on out. He should be on a short leash and have it yanked on a frequent basis. Seems like appropriate justice to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,670,054 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think he (they) have a right to get a job within reason. But, that doesn't mean that they get a free pass once the legal obligations are finished. Michael Vick is not a victim no matter how tough the road gets for him from here on out. He should be on a short leash and have it yanked on a frequent basis. Seems like appropriate justice to me.

Then it's hypocrisy. There are numerous cases of players in the NFL committing crimes yet no one shows half the outrage. He has a skill a team thought would benefit it them so they hired him. If an Ex Con was a plumber and applied at a plumbing company and they thought he would help their company so be it. The difference is Vick makes millions and the plumber makes considerably less, however this is how the market works. If you have a skill some one wants so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Then it's hypocrisy. There are numerous cases of players in the NFL committing crimes yet no one shows half the outrage. He has a skill a team thought would benefit it them so they hired him. If an Ex Con was a plumber and applied at a plumbing company and they thought he would help their company so be it. The difference is Vick makes millions and the plumber makes considerably less, however this is how the market works. If you have a skill some one wants so be it.
I honestly think he has a "right" to play in the NFL, but I wouldn't wish him any success and glad he didn't end up with the Vikes. How would you feel if the plumbing company you called sent over a convicted rapist while your wife was at home and you were at work? It would bother me a bit. You pay and pay and pay for the bad things you do in this life. Just because he did a little bit of time doesn't change the horrible things he did. If you ever loved a dog you'd feel different about it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Highland, CA (formerly Newark, NJ)
6,183 posts, read 4,986,113 times
Reputation: 2150
How disgraceful. You'd still be a fan of the team if they sucked, why would you abandon them if they signed a player you disliked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM
 
Location: Kentucky/ Displaced Texan
3,106 posts, read 2,670,054 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I honestly think he has a "right" to play in the NFL, but I wouldn't wish him any success and glad he didn't end up with the Vikes. How would you feel if the plumbing company you called sent over a convicted rapist while your wife was at home and you were at work? It would bother me a bit. You pay and pay and pay for the bad things you do in this life. Just because he did a little bit of time doesn't change the horrible things he did. If you ever loved a dog you'd feel different about it too.

I have two dogs and I think he has a right to be in the NFL and I'mnot going to continue to attack him. Our plumber could very well be a ex con, but everytime he has come over he hasn't robbed or tried to kill us. The argument could be made that even if he has never broken the law, our plumber could decide to commit his first crime against us. I choose not to live in fear of horrible things happening. I think it's safe to say Vick wont be running any dog fighting rings from now on, so his time in prison has helped the dog community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:41 PM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,186,423 times
Reputation: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
...glad he didn't end up with the Vikes.

LOL, naah you guys got the other media Darling instead, Brett "I never met a spotlight I didnt like to steal" Favre...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
LOL, naah you guys got the other media Darling instead, Brett "I never met a spotlight I didnt like to steal" Favre...
That works fine with me, within the context of this conversation, it appears he at least is nice to his dogs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top