U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times

Advertisements

Let's leave Cal out of this (though I like em)

Yea, I guess the modus operandi is that Notre Dame represents Catholic America, and scince there are still a ton of Irish Catholics in the Northeast and Chicago, the national media will always hype them even if they suck. Oh and you can't forget their history, but even if SEC teams have a down year, they will will be hyped cause of history and name recognition etc.

(College tv ratings are poor compared NFL ratings though so I don't see why NBC must have special coverage of ND when it's about a tenth of what they get with a good sunday night game)

It's inevitable. I have resigned myself to it scince two of my local teams suck eggs right now, merely taking pride when my teams are ranked and successful and not paying much attention to much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,543,193 times
One can always change the channel.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:19 PM

7,183 posts, read 16,269,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut21 View Post
I have a feeling Charlie Weis will be looking for work, but given his history that just means more losses.
Yes, I'm wondering if the Charlie Weis debacle will go down as the worst ever head coach flop... especially since ND seemed to feel that they had to prove something, so they when things were pointing south, they just invested more in him. I know there have been some epic coaching failures, but when all is said and done, could this end up being the worst?

Another one that comes to mind is Dennis Francione at Texas A&M. A couple of Nebraska ones, too, but those were short lived.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:33 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
They've always been able to put up ridiculous numbers on offense. And since ECU cant run the table this year now (lost to WVU sat, why cant we hold on to a lead? Why is the secondary the only area that hasnt gotten better for us in the last 4 years?) I will pull for UH to go on.
Oh they thrashed Tulsa last year, I was in shock.

To call Houston a no name program as a previous poster said is laughable.

Sumlin will be somewhere big as a HC sooner than later. Those from the Stoops coaching tree usually do. Don't forget that this is first HC job and he's doing a great job!!

I'm a CUSA homer though!!

I'm pulling for Tulsa all the way against Houston and Boise. Against OU, well lets just say I hope they keep it close.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,455,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Its all about $$$....no team has a fan base the size of Notre Dame's. If you ran a TV network, you'd want to broadcast their games too....its the one team that has appeal all over the country.

I've never met a ND fan or even seen one that I recall

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM

59 posts, read 35,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yes, I'm wondering if the Charlie Weis debacle will go down as the worst ever head coach flop... especially since ND seemed to feel that they had to prove something, so they when things were pointing south, they just invested more in him. I know there have been some epic coaching failures, but when all is said and done, could this end up being the worst?

Another one that comes to mind is Dennis Francione at Texas A&M. A couple of Nebraska ones, too, but those were short lived.

Whats amazing to look at is he is the second highest paid coach, Pete Carroll makes more. How in the hell he makes more money than Urban Meyer, Stoops, or Mack is beyond me.

Now it's only been two weeks but if he continues on this pace and gets fired then it would have to be one of the most disappointing coach jobs in recent memory. For the size of the contract and the program he is at only to be an average to below average team.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM

2,937 posts, read 4,541,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Northman let's see your data. Does Cal get on national tv too much for their rankings? MAKE YOUR CASE
My case is that the bowl games you refer to have been, in order, Insight.com, Holiday, Las Vegas, Holiday, Armed Forces, Emerald.....NONE of which qualify as a major bowl to any serious college football fan. Who gives a flyin' frick if Cal beats a bunch of 7-5 schmoes in those crappy bowls....who even KNOWS those bowl games were played besides Cal fans? However it happened, they WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH to land in a major bowl in ANY of these seasons they've been ranked highly.

In summary, my case is that I see a whole lotta shyt bowl games for a team that is ranked in the top 10 so often, your honor. Talk shyt to me when Cal plays in Pasadena, Glendale, New Orleans, or Miami. Overrated, big boy wannabe! Court adjourned!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:25 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
My case is that the bowl games you refer to have been, in order, Insight.com, Holiday, Las Vegas, Holiday, Armed Forces, Emerald.....NONE of which qualify as a major bowl to any serious college football fan. Who gives a flyin' frick if Cal beats a bunch of 7-5 schmoes in those crappy bowls....who even KNOWS those bowl games were played besides Cal fans? However it happened, they WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH to land in a major bowl in ANY of these seasons they've been ranked highly.

In summary, my case is that I see a whole lotta shyt bowl games for a team that is ranked in the top 10 so often, your honor. Talk shyt to me when Cal plays in Pasadena, Glendale, New Orleans, or Miami. Overrated, big boy wannabe! Court adjourned!
Just as an aside, beside the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta and BCS NatChamps game, are there any else that matter?

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Let's not get carried away. IMO, Cal is another team that is consistently overranked.
ND is a slow team that is no better than Maryland. Cal put up 52 on Maryland, so by that logic 60 is not out of the question. Cal seems to be firing on all cylinders early this year compared to last year. ND could never stop Javid Best. Never. He would run for 567 yards and slap the Pope after scoring his 66th touchdown. Nah, just kidding...he couldn't really run for that many yards...,

I agree that Cal has been overrated, however, they are playing very well this year.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut21 View Post
Whats amazing to look at is he is the second highest paid coach, Pete Carroll makes more. How in the hell he makes more money than Urban Meyer, Stoops, or Mack is beyond me.

Now it's only been two weeks but if he continues on this pace and gets fired then it would have to be one of the most disappointing coach jobs in recent memory. For the size of the contract and the program he is at only to be an average to below average team.
Way overpaid!

Last edited by Acuda; 09-14-2009 at 09:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football