U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 05:34 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,283,285 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a lot of nothing to me ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,614,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
That was always the school I pulled for growing up before I really started getting into CFB and before I went off to school myself. I think it was just the jerseys, always loved Paterno, LaVar Arrignton brought me in as well...he was just a beast.

I did get the chance to meet/shake hands with Paterno my junior year of high school. I had weighlifting class and was sitting there between sets when Paterno walked in. I quickly found something for him to sign, shook his hand and talked to him a few minutes. It was awesome. Really nice guy, down to earth, etc.

He was there to recruit our QB. CJ Leak. I played with CJ for 2 years and Chris Leak for one year (I was a senior he was a freshman). CJ should have taken Paterno's (or at least Bowden's) offer instead of going down to Wake.
I used to take care of his mother in a nursing center where I worked.....she was something. He was very "down to Earth" and even let some of us take his mom out for dinner...all around nice guy. It was amazing how much they looked alike. It's an old picture circa 86 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
The Official 2009 College Football Thread-scan0002.jpg  

Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,614,550 times
Penn State finally beats Michigan at "The Big House"....35 to 10. The Lions seem to be playing up to their potential, after the pitiful performance they had against Iowa; which appears to be a very good team.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:10 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,495,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I heard on foxsports radio an opinion of one of the guys on the blown calls in the Bama and Florida games, it was something like

That because ESPN just signed that huge contract with the SEC, if Alabama and Florida were to lose they'd potientally drop in the rankings, lose interest of course as well as money. And if these two were not to meet in the SEC Championship, well then alot of interest would be lost. And That both Alabama and Florida could lose a few games in the upcoming weeks therefore the SEC would not really have any 'prominant' teams as such as what they're use to in the last few years. Take Alabama and Florida out of it (meaning they lose a few games and drop in the rankings) and what really do you have in the SEC.
It ain't the refs who kept Alabama undefeated.

The offensive line of TN played a big part in keeping Alabama undefeated.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:05 AM

4,137 posts, read 7,209,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Iowa's schedule thus far:

09/05/09 vs. Northern Iowa
09/12/09 at Iowa State
09/19/09 vs. Arizona
09/26/09 at Penn State *
10/03/09 vs. Arkansas State
10/10/09 vs. Michigan (HC) *
10/17/09 at Wisconsin *
10/24/09 at Michigan State *

I count two games I don't think TCU would win, Penn State and Arizona.

I count three games TCU would be in danger of losing in an "upset," Michigan, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. "Easily undefeated?" Not even close.

and Iowa's upcoming schedule:

10/31/09 vs. Indiana *
11/07/09 vs. Northwestern (FW) *
11/14/09 at Ohio State *
11/21/09 vs. Minnesota *

No way TCU goes into Columbus and beats OSU.

I think 9-3 against that schedule would be a success for TCU.
LOL i had to chuckle TCU would still be 7-0 if they played in the big 10 and they would beat Ohio St. in Columbus. TCU is the real deal you might want to watch a little more Killer Frog football. Ooh and that defense is just NASTY SENSATIONAL.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,495,560 times
Wasn't TCU in the same conference as Texas at one time ?

If so, why did they drop out ?

Would their defense still look--" NASTY SENSATIONAL "-- if they were playing in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC ?

Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 PM

7,184 posts, read 16,299,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Wasn't TCU in the same conference as Texas at one time ?
Yep, the Southwest Conference. Was basically all of the Texas teams plus Arkansas for most of it's existence. I think OU and OSU might have been in the SWC during the very early days, like pre-1930.

Quote:
If so, why did they drop out ?
That's actually a good question. They didn't drop out so much as the SWC died, after the major teams merged with the Big 8 to make the Big 12. Only a certain number of teams would be allowed to join the new merged conference, and teams like Houston, Rice and TCU didn't get the nod. However, many people believe Baylor should never have gotten in (and maybe TCU should have), but political pull from then-governor Ann Richards made the Baylor inclusion happen.

Quote:
Would their defense still look--" NASTY SENSATIONAL "-- if they were playing in the Big 10, Big 12, or SEC ?
Maybe. Especially this year when those 3 conferences are down/overrated (yes, even the SEC).

Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,283,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
No doubt Boise State gets hurt by being in the WAC and to some extent that is justified. But when they have been given the chance to play a big conference team they have proven they can play with them.

Same thing with Utah and BYU (up until Florida State this year). The "strength of schedule" argument was stronger a few years ago before the small conference teams proved they could hold their own against the big conferences.
You know, I want to like an Idaho underdog team like Boise, but you drastically overestimate their exposure to "big conference teams".

Since 2002 -

4-3 against the Pac 10
1-1 against the Big XII
0-2 against the SEC
0-1 against the Big East
0-1 against the ACC

That's about 1.5 BCS teams per year, a 5-8 record against an unimpressive sample of BCS teams - 4 of those wins coming against pacific northwest teams. Is this really impressive to you?

The only time I remember them doing anything significant was beating Oklahoma in 2006, by 1 point, with a gimmick play. This, of course, after they were stomped 48-13 by Georgia in the previous year.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

18,671 posts, read 27,149,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
So, with Iowa now earning the #1 computer ranking and having some ground to gain available in the human polls... anyone think an undefeated Iowa team jumps an undefeated Texas team in the BCS rankings?
No. They're too far back.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,806,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yep, the Southwest Conference. Was basically all of the Texas teams plus Arkansas for most of it's existence. I think OU and OSU might have been in the SWC during the very early days, like pre-1930.
I miss the SWC. Although my Hogs were the only non-Texas team, I loved some of those old-school rivalries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football