U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Reputation: 944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Not if BSU or TCU is ranked higher. Only one Auto bid for a non BCS Conf. (if they are ranked higher than 14th). IIRC. The four at large BCS IMO are going to be PSU, TCU, Bama/LSU, and BSU. But then again, alot can happen and who knows?
Notre Dame gets an automatic bid if it finishes in the top 8. That was a special rule from when the BCS created.

Notre Dame is eligible if it finishes in the top 14 for an at-large pick. Since at-large picks are discretionary (as long as the team is in top 14) and NOT objective based on exact spot in ranking, Notre Dame could very easily be picked over a higher ranked TCU team that can't even sell out a stadium on homecoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,267,115 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Not if BSU or TCU is ranked higher. Only one Auto bid for a non BCS Conf. (if they are ranked higher than 14th). IIRC. The four at large BCS IMO are going to be PSU, TCU, Bama/LSU, and BSU. But then again, alot can happen and who knows?
I think the ND clause stands alone, at least that's how it appears here: CFB - - FOX Sports on MSN (http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility - broken link) ...

Regardless, I was wrong about ND possibly being in one of the BCS bowls this season (see below).

Rule 3 limits to 1 automatic at-large for the Non BCS conferences
Quote:
3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year.
But rule 4 is separate, and since ND is not in one of the non-BCS conferences listed in rule 3, I interpret that as an automatic for ND as well as one for either BSU or TCU (assuming win-out scenario)

Quote:
4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings.
I was wrong about the 9 wins / 14th ranking for automatic, though... they'd have to be #8 or better in the BCS, which is extremely unlikely this season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,267,115 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Notre Dame gets an automatic bid if it finishes in the top 8. That was a special rule from when the BCS created.

Notre Dame is eligible if it finishes in the top 14 for an at-large pick. Since at-large picks are discretionary (as long as the team is in top 14) and NOT objective based on exact spot in ranking, Notre Dame could very easily be picked over a higher ranked TCU team that can't even sell out a stadium on homecoming.
Notre Dame is #22 right now, and only plays 1 more ranked team (Pittsburgh). I'm thinking TCU goes in over Notre Dame, they will maintain their human poll advantage. Plus the "discretionary" (money) aspect will be closer to even with TCU (huge Texas market). Not saying it will be as big of a national draw as ND, of course, just saying if the pressure is there to take one of the non-BCS undefeateds... the bowls are breathing a sigh of relief that it could be TCU instead of BSU...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 04:34 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Notre Dame could very easily be picked over a higher ranked TCU team that can't even sell out a stadium on homecoming.
I wouldn't say easily.

It would be BS if any 2 loss team would get in over any undefeated team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
the bowls are breathing a sigh of relief that it could be TCU instead of BSU...
I think if they both stay undefeated, they both go BCS. Of course there are certain scenarios that could happen that might deny one of them... a certain one comes to mind that I personally would LOVE to see. heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I wouldn't say easily.

It would be BS if any 2 loss team would get in over any undefeated team.



I think if they both stay undefeated, they both go BCS. Of course there are certain scenarios that could happen that might deny one of them... a certain one comes to mind that I personally would LOVE to see. heh.
Add a C to that and you have BCS.

Even if ND doesn't get a BCS bowl, they'll get the Gator Bowl over the #2 Big East team. So even if they lose to Pitt, there's a good chance a 3 loss ND team would get a better bowl than a 2 loss Pitt team (assuming Pitt loses to Cincy and beats ND).

The Big East and the non-AQ's are going get screwed in favor of the other five AQ conferences and Notre Dame. That's B(C)S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Invercargill, New Zealand
2,818 posts, read 5,817,361 times
Reputation: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Dirtiest player in CFB? This is worse than Blount IMSO. Edit: He is suspended for the first half of their game against Vandy


YouTube - Brandon Spikes Florida Gators eye gouge vs Georgia
So Dez Bryant can lie to the NCAA and get a whole year suspension, but he if you eye glauge someone you get less than a game,

LOL at the NCAA's lovefest with Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I wouldn't say easily.

It would be BS if any 2 loss team would get in over any undefeated team.



I think if they both stay undefeated, they both go BCS. Of course there are certain scenarios that could happen that might deny one of them... a certain one comes to mind that I personally would LOVE to see. heh.
Not if a 2-loss team lost to two ranked opponents, and the undefeated team played a schedule full of never-gonna-be-ranked oppponents. What would really be BS is to reward teams for a cakewalk schedule and punish teams for a tough schedule.

If Boise State and TCU want more respect and recognition, they will need to play a schedule that will earn respect and recognition. Put either team in a BCS conference and I guarantee they would have 2 losses as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:48 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,852,418 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Put either team in a BCS conference and I guarantee they would have 2 losses as well.
I honestly think that TCU or BSU could win a BCS conf title this year.

BSU already BEAT the PAC 10 leader and quite possibly the Pac 10 champion this year.

To say that BSU or TCU couldn't beat UT, GT, UO (already happened) Cincy or Iowa is laughable.

Texas would be by far the toughest out of those teams, but the others, not so tough, really.

TCU and BSU are awfully good football teams in this "down" year of CFB.

Oregon is getting screwed out of the MNC for scheduling a tough OOC while UT is getting a pass for their OOC.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 11-02-2009 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,265,202 times
Reputation: 2781
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I honestly think that TCU or BSU could win a BCS conf title this year.

BSU already BEAT the PAC 10 leader and quite possibly the Pac 10 champion this year.

To say that BSU or TCU couldn't beat UT, GT, UO (already happened) Cincy or Iowa is laughable.

Texas would be by far the toughest out of those teams, but the others, not so tough, really.

TCU and BSU are awfully good football teams in this "down" year of CFB.

Oregon is getting screwed out of the MNC for scheduling a tough OOC while UT is getting a pass for their OOC.
It's not about whether TCU or BSU could beat the top team in each BCS conference...some of those top teams have been beaten once already. It's about whether TCU or BSU could play a full schedule in those conferences and still be sitting there undefeated. I don't think so...but we won't know until they make a move to join one of those conferences, and I haven't heard anything about the PAC-10 expanding anytime soon.

I've watched both teams play, and they do look pretty good. BSU played Oregon several games ago...I don't think Oregon is that same team anymore - they have looked much better since then. TCU squeaked one out 14-10 against Clemson (the 5th or 6th best team in the ACC), and only beat Virginia by 2 touchdowns (possibly the worst team in the ACC).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Florida
1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Reputation: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Notre Dame is #22 right now, and only plays 1 more ranked team (Pittsburgh). I'm thinking TCU goes in over Notre Dame, they will maintain their human poll advantage. Plus the "discretionary" (money) aspect will be closer to even with TCU (huge Texas market). Not saying it will be as big of a national draw as ND, of course, just saying if the pressure is there to take one of the non-BCS undefeateds... the bowls are breathing a sigh of relief that it could be TCU instead of BSU...
What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter whether TCU has a poll advantage over ND or not. If ND finishes in the top 14, then the decision is a solely subjective one on the hands of the bowl selection committee. ND could be 14 and TCU could be 4 or 5 and they could still pick ND over TCU.

The bowl committee is mostly concerned with selling tickets and TV viewers. TCU couldn't even sell out their stadium for homecoming. Fair or not, this will be taken into consideration by the bowl committee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top