U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
[/b]

Yeah but the difference is the upper tier SEC teams pound the hell out of and beat there ooc opponents handily and go on to win 5 out of the last 11 National Championships. BTW that was funny what went down in South Bend today and how about Texas.......they're real bad-ass beating up on powerhouse Central FL.
Texas loaded up it's schedule this year with Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP, Wyoming, and UCF...not ONE quality out-of-conference game. That should be illegal.

Not to defend Notre Dame's loss, but Navy is a pretty good team that should get a ranking this week. Three losses, two of them to Ohio State and Pitt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2009, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,278,210 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Texas loaded up it's schedule this year with Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP, Wyoming, and UCF...not ONE quality out-of-conference game. That should be illegal.
No, Texas loaded up it's OOC schedule this year with Utah, Arkansas, UTEP, and UCF.

Utah moved conferences and had to cancel; Arkansas canceled for other reasons (presumably the pigs wanted an easier OOC schedule, read: backed out). The others were kind enough to fill in for them at the last minute. Look it up!

Notre Dame is playing service academies. And losing 3 times. No comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 09:17 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
No, Texas loaded up it's OOC schedule this year with Utah, Arkansas, UTEP, and UCF.

Utah moved conferences and had to cancel; Arkansas canceled for other reasons (presumably the pigs wanted an easier OOC schedule, read: backed out). The others were kind enough to fill in for them at the last minute. Look it up!

Notre Dame is playing service academies. And losing 3 times. No comparison.
Service academies can't have good football teams? I think they can, and do...anyway, I wasn't comparing Texas to Notre Dame. Mine were two separate, unrelated comments.

Whatever the reason for the soft Texas schedule, it remains that it is shamefully soft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,278,210 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Service academies can't have good football teams? I think they can, and do...anyway, I wasn't comparing Texas to Notre Dame. Mine were two separate, unrelated comments.
Sorry if I misinterpreted, but the following sure looks like a comparison, and not "unrelated comments":
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Texas loaded up it's schedule this year with Louisiana-Monroe, UTEP, Wyoming, and UCF...not ONE quality out-of-conference game. That should be illegal.

Not to defend Notre Dame's loss, but Navy is a pretty good team that should get a ranking this week. Three losses, two of them to Ohio State and Pitt.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Whatever the reason for the soft Texas schedule, it remains that it is shamefully soft.
Incorrect. Texas' overall schedule is ranked MUCH higher than Notre Dame -- as well Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Iowa... so if Texas' schedule is shamefully soft, what would you call Notre Dame's? Ridiculously squeezably soft? Say what you will about our OOC games this season, but overall Texas schedule is #31 while ND's is #60.

College Football Power Ratings - College FB Strength of Schedule Power Rating on TeamRankings.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 11:32 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,280,512 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Sorry if I misinterpreted, but the following sure looks like a comparison, and not "unrelated comments":





Incorrect. Texas' overall schedule is ranked MUCH higher than Notre Dame -- as well Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Cal, Iowa... so if Texas' schedule is shamefully soft, what would you call Notre Dame's? Ridiculously squeezably soft? Say what you will about our OOC games this season, but overall Texas schedule is #31 while ND's is #60.

College Football Power Ratings - College FB Strength of Schedule Power Rating on TeamRankings.com
Yes, you misinterpreted. They were two separate, totally unrelated comments...hence the reason I put an extra space between them. If you'll notice, I never mentioned either school in the same sentence.

Again, you're comparing Notre Dame and Texas...keep going if you want, but I wasn't comparing the two teams in any way. What I would gather from the link you provided is that Texas has 30 teams ahead of it in strength of schedule...that's due to the ooc softies. I don't care where Texas is ranked in relation to Notre Dame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,278,210 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Again, you're comparing Notre Dame and Texas...keep going if you want, but I wasn't comparing the two teams in any way. What I would gather from the link you provided is that Texas has 30 teams ahead of it in strength of schedule...that's due to the ooc softies. I don't care where Texas is ranked in relation to Notre Dame.
Actually I was just pointing out your error regarding Texas' schedule. Your correct response should have been:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My mistake. The Texas schedule is not at all soft, but in fact ranked above the majority of other FBS teams at #31 of 119 Div I-A teams.

On the other hand, I see now that teams like Notre Dame (#60/119), Ohio State, Pitt, Michigan, Cal, etc have MUCH softer schedules than Texas. Thanks for the info!
There you go, fixed it for you. I even added the space between the sentences to make the separation between Notre Dame and Texas obvious... and you're welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
2,091 posts, read 3,019,397 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Notre Dame, Iowa, and Oregon

--stick a fork in em cuz they're done
In the words of Corso, "Not so fast my friend!"

Obviously, the Ducks are not going to get into the NC. Heck, they were never going to get into the NC with one loss. The polls would have found a way to assure that.

However, they still control their own destiny. We win out and we are destroying a Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl. But, our defense looked like garbage yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Fort Smith, Arkansas
1,466 posts, read 3,802,057 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
No, Texas loaded up it's OOC schedule this year with Utah, Arkansas, UTEP, and UCF.

Utah moved conferences and had to cancel; Arkansas canceled for other reasons (presumably the pigs wanted an easier OOC schedule, read: backed out). The others were kind enough to fill in for them at the last minute. Look it up!
For the record, the Hogs backed out because Jerry Jones was willing to pay them $5 million a year for at least 10 years and up to 30 years to play at his space-age stadium. To turn down a home-and-home with the Longhorns for a guaranteed $50 million and the chance to embarrass the Aggies ten years in a row is well worth it for the fans and for recruiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
7,183 posts, read 16,278,210 times
Reputation: 3474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
For the record, the Hogs backed out because Jerry Jones was willing to pay them $5 million a year for at least 10 years and up to 30 years to play at his space-age stadium. To turn down a home-and-home with the Longhorns for a guaranteed $50 million and the chance to embarrass the Aggies ten years in a row is well worth it for the fans and for recruiting.
Well, when you put it that way, embarrassing the Aggies 10 years in a row sounds pretty hard to pass up. Plus recruiting in DFW area vs. every other year in Austin. I can see that. Still, it would have been nice for Texas to play any SEC team OOC, good for the schedule and good for the fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,468,041 times
Reputation: 8158
Very disappointed in Iowa yesterday.

They had plenty of time left on the clock to tie the game, but seemed unaware that you need 1st downs to keep posession of the ball.

Yes, it was a 2nd string quarterback in the game, but he sure didn't resemble a 2nd string college quarterback.

He resembled a 2nd team high school quarterback and one from a very small school with a losing record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top