Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times

Advertisements

NBC thinks the rest of us want to see Notre Dame vs Michigan State. I think they dubbed it as "A clash of unranked heavyweights." I'd rather watch Boise State play Fresno. I'm a Yellow Jacket fan anyway, so I have better things to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Well, the joke is on them. So Notre Dame beat Nevada 35-0. Whoop-te-doo-dah! How many bowl games has Nevada been in over the last, say couple decades?

I've been meaning to check their schedule for this season. In a different thread it was stated that out of the 12 game schedule Notre Dame has 8 of them at home.

Huh?
It was a hyped up Nevada team but as we saw in that game, our pass defence hasn't improved and we were ranked LAST last year, a solid team in which doesn't front for big openers.

We've been to a bowl for the last fours years, we havn't been in Div-1A for long though, less than 20 years.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I kind of thought my mouth overloaded my, um, skip it! Done some digging a while ago and found I goofed on some facts. That's OK, don't mind taking my medicine on this one.

Thanks for the correction! Actually, it wasn't meant as a slight on the Nevada program, but Notre Dame has too much pull with the system. I agree w/Ocean 2026 on the issue

Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
I love to see ND lose just cause they are always so over hyped, I also noticed ND was the 2nd game they showed coverage of last night when I was trying to catch coverage of the U of TX game so I had to wait while they talked about ND and Michigan for a long while.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
I like Notre Dame. I used to be a HUGE fan of theirs in the 80's and 90's. I still like them, but I will admit I am a bit put off by the over-exposure they get. That being said, if any other team had the history that Notre Dame has had, then that team would be getting the same over-exposure as well. Notre Dame's schedule is usually pretty tough. Go look at their schedule of the years; you'll never see an Eastern Washington or a I-AA team.

Everyone wants to play Notre Dame. Probably because they too want a chance to smack them around, but still, playing Notre Dame doesn't hurt your image.

Cal is a good team, but beating Eastern Washington isn't impressive and Maryland isn't very good either. That being said, you play the schedule your given and make no apologies for it. Usually schedules are made 3-5 years in advance which can bit you in the ass.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:36 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
ND sucks, I actually relished them getting beat Saturday because I am sick of the over hype they get every year. And Lou Holtz does not help their image either when he says that "Charlie Weiss is the most underrated coach in college football" or that "ND will play for the BCS title this year". I say to that, no Mr. Holtz, ND is an overrated and overhyped team year in and year out, and you have an affinity for them because you used to coach there and/or some of the boosters still have their hands in your pockets

Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Cal is a good football team and deserve their top 10 ranking. However, they still need to come to Autzen. Sept. 26th should be a big game. Hopefully by then that Duck running game should be humming.
and Cal will be coming to Minnesota this Saturday to play the Gophers.

It's a big plus for Minnesota as it allows us to showcase our new outdoor stadium on national tv( ESPN2 ) .

This is only the 2nd game in it and people are referring to it as the "Taj Mahal"

After 27 years absence, it's nice to see college football back on campus ( where it belongs) instead of downtown in the Dome.

I'm also glad the Gophers are scheduling tougher teams that people have heard of for their pre-season.

At least people heard of Syracuse and Air Force ( who the Gophers beat) and certainly have heard of Cal .

A tough game for the Gophers coming up Saturday !

Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Its all about $$$....no team has a fan base the size of Notre Dame's. If you ran a TV network, you'd want to broadcast their games too....its the one team that has appeal all over the country.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:44 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Its all about $$$....no team has a fan base the size of Notre Dame's. If you ran a TV network, you'd want to broadcast their games too....its the one team that has appeal all over the country.

Where at??? Nobpdy where I am gives a flying rat babies @ss about ND. I would think the only large fan base they have would be in the Chicagoland/NWI area. And I would think people in places like Cali, Texas, and Washington St dont want to watch an overrated, overhyped program get pushed around the field by second class competition either

Old 09-14-2009, 09:13 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
Where at??? Nobpdy where I am gives a flying rat babies @ss about ND. I would think the only large fan base they have would be in the Chicagoland/NWI area. And I would think people in places like Cali, Texas, and Washington St dont want to watch an overrated, overhyped program get pushed around the field by second class competition either
ND has a big following in the northeast....and anywhere there are a lot of Irish Catholics. Here in NE PA, ND has a lot of fans....Penn State and Notre Dame are the only two college teams anyone cares about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football