Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,400,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
The Big 10 is waaaayyy over rated just like they have been for at least the last five years so I think TCU fairs well with that schedule. And lets not forget Iowa should have lost Northern Iowa.

I no longer consider the Big Ten an elite conference. I mean, over the last 6 years.. 15-28 in bowl games, 1-6 last year.

You're right, they're overrated....the SEC, Big 12 and Pac 10 are on a whole different level.

All this makes Iowa's record suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:51 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,432,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Iowa's schedule thus far:

09/05/09 vs. Northern Iowa
09/12/09 at Iowa State
09/19/09 vs. Arizona
09/26/09 at Penn State *
10/03/09 vs. Arkansas State
10/10/09 vs. Michigan (HC) *
10/17/09 at Wisconsin *
10/24/09 at Michigan State *

I count two games I don't think TCU would win, Penn State and Arizona.

I count three games TCU would be in danger of losing in an "upset," Michigan, Wisconsin, and Michigan State. "Easily undefeated?" Not even close.

and Iowa's upcoming schedule:

10/31/09 vs. Indiana *
11/07/09 vs. Northwestern (FW) *
11/14/09 at Ohio State *
11/21/09 vs. Minnesota *

No way TCU goes into Columbus and beats OSU.

I think 9-3 against that schedule would be a success for TCU.
TCU losing to Arizona, what the hell are you smoking, hahaha thanks for my laugh of the day, apart from Iowa, they havn't really played anyone.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,979,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Who is this?

I don't know what will happen if we can take down USC, but I bet we leap frog Boise State. Not to mention, if Arizona continues to win and we can beat them, that would help us out. Now, if only some teams can lose who are ahead of us.

Arizona shouldnt even be ranked, they dont even have any quality wins, and a few weeks ago Washington was ranked, they are now 3-5, they didnt belong, I think they just randomly pick teams to place in the top 25 sometimes.

anyways I hope OU beats the crap out of over-hyped USC

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 AM

629 posts, read 3,590,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Tennessee....Why!!???!!??!!

BS non-call in this game too. SEC is crap. Gotta have UF and 'Bama undefeated so one of them is guaranteed to go to the BCS MNC. **** this bull****, lets see what crap comes out of the MSU game tonight.

You know when Gary Danielson points something out against one of the SECs chosen-ones that the situation is not right.

What are you talking about?

Gary Danielson needs to get the rule book out. There would not have been a re-kick b/c it was 4th down! It does not matter that there was no more time on the clock! A 15yd penalty would have been given to Bama on the next drive. Bama ball = Game over - move on!

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,792,628 times
So, with Iowa now earning the #1 computer ranking and having some ground to gain available in the human polls... anyone think an undefeated Iowa team jumps an undefeated Texas team in the BCS rankings?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,432,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
What are you talking about?

Gary Danielson needs to get the rule book out. There would not have been a re-kick b/c it was 4th down! It does not matter that there was no more time on the clock! A 15yd penalty would have been given to Bama on the next drive. Bama ball = Game over - move on!
+ if a kicker is 1-4 on field goals then you don't deserve to win period.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
Unbeaten Iowa pulls it out in the final two seconds against unranked Michigan State. Alabama holds off unranked Tennessee on the last play. Iowa jumps to fourth and Alabama stays at #2. After all, great teams just know how to win (even when they barely beat unranked opponents).

Meanwhile, Boise State trounces Hawaii and Cincinnati rolls Louisville continuing undefeated seasons but moving down in the rankings. After all, when they beat unranked teams it is said that they don't play anyone tough.

BCS proponents can't have it both ways. You can't say that small conference teams don't have a tough enough schedule because they don't have enough ranked opponents while at the same time rewarding big conference teams for pulling off wins against unranked teams.
Essentially, your argument is that an AP voter should weigh victories over Hawaii and Louisville more strongly than victories over Michigan State and Tennessee. Why?

Hawaii and Louisville combined have beaten DIA teams Washington State and Southern Miss.
Michigan State and Tennessee combined have beaten DIA teams Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio, and Western Kentucky.

which pair looks like a stronger record to you?

Last edited by le roi; 10-27-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 08:19 AM

77,726 posts, read 59,889,067 times
And this people....is why I like the BCS.

You guys torture statistics like you are some sort of gulag commandant.

The difficulty, pure and simple is that it's hard to accurately rank teams without a number of games played and also if they are playing notably weaker opposition it's hard to gauge just how good the team is. Especially when it comes down to whether a team should be 3rd, 6th or 9th....

I'd love to see an 8-team playoff but for now this is what we have. The current formula is at least objective and doesn't involve having to listen to phrases like "should have".

Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,561,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Essentially, your argument is that an AP voter should weigh victories over Hawaii and Louisville more strongly than victories over Michigan State and Tennessee. Why?

Hawaii and Louisville combined have beaten DIA teams Washington State and Southern Miss.
Michigan State and Tennessee combined have beaten DIA teams Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio, and Western Kentucky.

which pair looks like a stronger record to you?

I don't think it is necessarily is about comparing the opponents, I think the op was comparing how the wins happened and also if it would make a difference if you would flip flop them. I am 99.99% sure that if Iowa or Bama played Hawaii or Louisville they would have not dropped and if BSU and Cincy would have played Tennessee and Michigan state they wouldn't have moved up especially if they would have won in the fashion that Iowa and Bama did.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,609,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I don't think it is necessarily is about comparing the opponents, I think the op was comparing how the wins happened and also if it would make a difference if you would flip flop them.
Which makes EVEN LESS sense.

Quote:
I am 99.99% sure that if Iowa or Bama played Hawaii or Louisville they would have not dropped and if BSU and Cincy would have played Tennessee and Michigan state they wouldn't have moved up especially if they would have won in the fashion that Iowa and Bama did.

I'm 99.999999% sure that if Boise State was in California, and Alabama had pink uniforms, then the global demand for zinc would skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football