Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
He's talking about the first ever Big 12 championship game, in 1996. Nebraska was a powerhouse at the time, having just come off the 1995 national championship. Texas was a big underdog, but upset the Huskers. Texas went for it on a 4th and 1 on their own 28 yard line. The play was a pass play, with James Brown throwing to Wane McGarity for a 66yd touchdown. Texas won the game in huge upset.

Now the rolls are reversed, so some people are making parallels...

However, I still think Texas rolls easily. They are 14 pt favorites, and Nebraska doesn't have the offense of the '96 Texas Team. The A&M game was more of a concern to me. Nebraska has come a long way, though, and I hope for the conference that they make it competitive -- and that our players give them the proper respect.
Ah, yes. I remember now. (I was very young)

I don't think it's much comparable. Nebraska would have trouble scoring on many high school teams. It's too bad the offense was such a letdown, they could have had quite a good team this year.

My guess, Nebraska is able to keep it close until the end of the 3rd or so. 14-10 halftime, 31-10 final Texas

Whoever get's closest get's rep pts. =-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,028 times
It will behoove Texas to take Nebraska very, very seriously. I haven't caught many of Nebraska's games this season, but if Pelini has them playing tough, up-the-gut, smash mouth football, they'll have a shot at loosening up the Texas D and putting the secondary on their heels. It didn't take the most astute of observers to notice that the defense, which had up until now been one of the more consistent elements of Texas's game, showed serious weakness against A&M. True, it was a rivalry game in what is arguably one of the toughest stages in college football, and such conditions are often a huge factor. Enough cannot be said about the intangibles (i.e. crowd noise, momentum shifts, etc). Alabama had a similar kind of showing with Auburn.

It will be interesting to see if McCoy decides to make plays with his legs as well as his arm. He's become noticeably reticent as a rusher, but that's understandable as I'm sure he sees what happened to Sam Bradford and is legitimately worried about his NFL prospects. Even so, it was nice to see some of that aspect of his game resurface against A&M. Also, it goes without saying that Shipley will need to have a big game, but I'm sure Nebraska's defense is preparing and hoping to create ways to stanch Shipley's effectiveness. If Texas becomes too one-dimensional with the passing game I think Nebraska will try and capitalize on that and put pressure on McCoy at every given opportunity. The risk of course is if you blitz ferociously you'll open up the pass as McCoy has been pretty good at finding the open receiver or making plays on his own if the need requires.

I can remember very clearly that Inaugural Big 12 Championship game. Priest Holmes had a sensational game, which most people were surprised to see as Ricky Williams was also in the game, but was mostly blocking for big gains that day. And the site of the game (I believe it was Saint Louis?) which was said to be "neutral", appeared to favor Nebraska somewhat. The roles are indeed reversed. It should be a good game. I don't expect Texas to run away with it.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Whoever get's closest get's rep pts. =-)
That would be a pretty cool thing, especially if EVERYONE agrees to rep the winners. We could do it for the SEC championship too.

Here are my predictions:

Big 12 championship
Texas - 42
Neb - 24

Summary: Cowboys stadium should be like a home game for Texas, but Nebraska fans travel so well. Should be a great stadium environment. It *might* be a pretty close first half. Our offense needs to find early rhythm and that tends to be hit or miss. Against the Nebraska defense, it might be harder than most games. However, Mack Brown is well known for his halftime transition game; always deferring to hopefully get the last 1st half drive (and score) plus get the ball back to begin the 2nd half. When the offense has trouble in the early game, he often sets us up for an upswing in that transition. Not sure when in the game it will happen, but the Texas offense will rack up a string of successful drives. Mack Brown will not allow a high score game if we have 2-3 TD lead though, and teams always score in the late parts of the game on us. I do think Nebraska's running game will have some success at least part of the time against our D.

SEC championship
Alabama 20
Florida 17

Summary: The law of averages would dictate that this incredible Florida team of basically the last 2 seasons will stumble, and that Alabama is "due" enough that they can take advantage. Florida's offense will have to be stifled every minute of every quarter, which is nearly impossible -- but Alabama might be the team that can do it. I do admit that from a talent perspective, and based on the majority of this year's games... it should be an easy Florida victory. But we haven't seen a major upset at the top this entire year... so again, we're due. Some people surely think it's Texas that is "due" to be the long-awaited upset, but I'm obviously biased... so, Florida loses by a FG.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
I'll play.

Nebbish-9
Texas-7

'Bama- 13
UF-10

Love me some underdogs!! Hate me some Gators and Horns!! LOL.

I just hope the games are good.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Sounds good.

Tex - 31
Neb - 10

Fla - 28
Ala - 17

Nevergoingback, you love your low scoring games dont ya? lol

How are we going to score this between both games? Least total margin between guess and actual score?

Old 12-02-2009, 03:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Coaching news...

1. Several sources say Brian Kelly has accepted the Notre Dame job

2. Louisville is expected to announce Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong as head coach on Monday. If Kentucky's Rich Brooks retires that would mean all 3 D1 coaches in Kentucky would be African American. Brook's successor will be Joker Phillips, Western Kentucky recently hired Willie Taggart.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:40 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Coaching news...

1. Several sources say Brian Kelly has accepted the Notre Dame job

2. Louisville is expected to announce Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong as head coach on Monday. If Kentucky's Rich Brooks retires that would mean all 3 D1 coaches in Kentucky would be African American. Brook's successor will be Joker Phillips, Western Kentucky recently hired Willie Taggart.
Blue grass and black coaches. They do everything a little different in Kentucky.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:43 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
How are we going to score this between both games? Least total margin between guess and actual score?
I think we'd need to allow for 1 winner for each game, so it's like 2 contests. Closest score guess (least total margin between guess and actual score) for each game wins the respective game.

Basing it on a combined 2 game prediction would be too difficult. Although if one person happens to be closest on both games, we can't really double rep them. But they'd be legendary on C-D football thread.

Someone needs to alert TexasReb about this thread... he predicted the TX/OU game score almost exactly.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I think we'd need to allow for 1 winner for each game, so it's like 2 contests. Closest score guess (least total margin between guess and actual score) for each game wins the respective game.

Basing it on a combined 2 game prediction would be too difficult. Although if one person happens to be closest on both games, we can't really double rep them. But they'd be legendary on C-D football thread.

Someone needs to alert TexasReb about this thread... he predicted the TX/OU game score almost exactly.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking we wouldn't be able to rep twice for some reason... I guess we couldn't only if one person wins both.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:26 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Texas-37
Nebraska-20

Alabama-14
Florida- 27
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football