Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 08:20 AM

738 posts, read 2,947,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I went off who got closest to the total point total.

flyingwriter came in within one point of the point total.

go hokies go came closer to each individual teams score.

I can see it both ways.

go hokies go maybe appears closer though.

On second thought I think the way that you figured it would be correct.

I think too much on the over/under sometimes.

I'll rep em both, I hand that stuff out like candy anyways, LOL.
I sent reps from me over to TTDave and flyingwriter, congrats on getting so close to the over/under. Thanks to the couple guys that repped me, starting the morning with C-D rep points starts the day nicely, lol

About the games- man, what a weekend! All the games were great to watch, the conf. championship games lived up to making it one of the best weekends of the year.

I felt kinda bad for Tebow, yeah it's a bit of a wuss action to cry when you're the face of college football, but I thought it was a bit of a low blow that they interviewed him while he was still crying. Let the kid have a little dignity and get cleared up before you put his face in front of the camera; I think he's been overhyped throughout his career, but he was a great player and leader.

Texas & Nebraska - man, did Colt look sloppy or what? I think he lost his heisman with that, while Ingram shined in his final game of the season. I knew Nebraska had a stout defense, as they held VT to our lowest points total of the year when we played them, but I didnt expect them to be as successful against an offense like Texas. Suh is still awesome, one of my favorite players this year, plus who wouldn't want a first name that means "house of spears" I think the right team won after the season they had this year, but man was I rootin for Nebraska to pull the upset, if only for that 1-second left.

Best bowl matchups imho:
  • BCS NC - 'Bama v Texas will be good. I think they got the top 2 right for the BCS this year, even with the other undefeated teams, should be a decent fight, although I'm expecting the Tide to pull out the W for the crystal ball.
  • BCS Rose - OSU v Oregon, I think will be good. OSU defense vs Oregon offense, I think this is OSU's first even match-up in a few years and expect it to be a great game. rootin for OSU.
  • the other BCS games aren't as appealing to me
  • Capital One Bowl - PSU v. LSU - juggernaut match-up, I'd expect this to be a pretty hard-hitting game. Joe Pa is always a classic, and Les Miles should keep this one interesting.
  • Peach Bowl- VT v. UTenn - forget calling it the Chik-Fil-A, I still call it the peach. Obviously it's my team, so I'm interested. I expect it to be a good match-up though. Minus our mid-season slide, VT played a great season against a very touch schedule. Tennessee seems to be going the right direction with the Kiffins (even though I hate how much Lane mouths off), and UT played both Florida and 'Bama pretty tough. On paper, VT should win going away, but we tend to struggle in bowl games and against SEC competition.
  • Champ Sports - Miami v Wisconsin - Wisconsin was a decent team this year with a solid rushing game. Miami surprised many is seems to be on their way back with their balanced offense, I expect this to be a even match-up
  • Emerald bowl - BC v USC - wait, USC in a non-BCS bowl? Bad match-up for BC, as they have to travel cross-country to a down, but dangerous USC. Not sure what to expect, USC should crush BC, but I have a feeling that BC keeps it interesting.
Can't wait till the bowls. What're the match-ups you guys are looking forwards to most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,348,991 times
I can't wait to see Cincy smack Florida. Boise vs. TCU should be good too. I could care less about the so-called "National Championship" game with Texas vs. Bama. Man, this would be a great year for a playoff.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:12 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
I'm looking forward to all the games.

Many times the 7-5 vs 7-5 turns out to be great games to watch

Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,104,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
PROTEST THE FIESTA BOWL!!!!

Seriously. I'd love to see TCU and Boise State do this as soon as the coin flips:

- Act as if you're going to kick the ball off.
- Then right before the kicker starts to run, walk off the field..... BOTH schools. Just walk off.
- Then the crowd from both schools come on the field carrying signs (and this is all LIVE on national tv) saying "NO PLAYOFFS, NO PLAY!"
-And both TCU and Boise's head coaches should get into a locker room with both their teams combined and sit in 60's style and not come out until the big heads who run the BCS listen to their demands.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

??????????????
what planet are you from ?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,798,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
fyp. Past results have absolutely no bearing on this game. Texas is by far teh inferior opponent in this matchup. I understand that football is played on grass - not paper, so anything can happen but Texas is not near as good as Alabama.
Perhaps you are right, but remember that pride and heritage can find a place. Texas will be playing for the pride of record as well as the pride of winning! Texas is 5-0 in bowl games under its current coach Brown.

Hook'em Horns!!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,012,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'm looking forward to all the games.

Many times the 7-5 vs 7-5 turns out to be great games to watch
I'll prolly pick one or two of em. Kinda interested in Kentucky and the job Brooks is doing over there, seems like he got the fanbase pretty excited going to consecutive snack bowls.

As a Philly lover, I'll watch Temple no matter who they will fight but I wanna really see em fight UCLA. I dunno if they would win, but it would be such a great milestone to face a big name program in a bowl season after so many years of terrible football.

Mike London was chosen as new coach for my Cavs. Seems like he knows defense and can recruit now we need offense!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:02 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,575,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Texas is 5-0 in bowl games under its current coach Brown.

Hook'em Horns!!
Coach Brown is 8-3 in bowl games as head coach of the Longhorns.

They've won their last 5 in a row.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Marmac is right. If there is any crucial time for keeping it in bounds it is when you are 2 points up with less than 2 minutes to go in the game, it is that one. But give credit to Nebraska. Nobody gave them a shot and they almost pulled it off. Their program looks to have a bright future.
All Nebraska would need to do now is recruit offense. The defense is set, but they need to strengthen their moribund offensive unit. If they do that, they will dominate the Big 12 North next year rather than whimper. And Texas, of course, will have one of the top two or three incoming classes in America once again in February.

Quote:
Great teams??? You're joking right? They played a couple of halfway decent teams I guess. Nothing more.
Granted, Texas did not play a lot of great teams this year, but they still won, and that's the important thing. The kids learned how to win and did the things it took to win when there was adversity. It's not easy going undefeated all year long, regardless of who you play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Texas record against Alabama since 1902.... 7-0-1
Hook em Horns
And I have faith they'll do it again in Pasadena on January 7. All the Texas haters can ponder this thought: How do you like your crow??

Quote:
Coach Brown is 8-3 in bowl games as head coach of the Longhorns.

They've won their last 5 in a row.
Brown is legendary and the upcoming championship game will only add to that. The Nebraska game was just an anomaly; we all know the Horns' offense didn't play well at all that night and should have had a better outcome had they not turned the ball over early. A few publications predicted 51-14 Texas, but that just wasn't going to happen even if Texas' offense had played any better. If I had my druthers, I'd rather play poorly in the game last week than in the championship game.

Bama-Texas will be a hard-fought game, no question. I think it will be close and not the 56-10-type game that Texas is used to winning. Both offenses should have a good showing.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:08 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,508,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post

Brown is legendary and the upcoming championship game will only add to that. The Nebraska game was just an anomaly; we all know the Horns' offense didn't play well at all that night and should have had a better outcome had they not turned the ball over early. A few publications predicted 51-14 Texas, but that just wasn't going to happen even if Texas' offense had played any better. If I had my druthers, I'd rather play poorly in the game last week than in the championship game.

Lol, whatever you gotta tell yourself to feel better. The fact is, both defenses dominated the game and the final score is proof of that. Anomaly? NU's D is one of the best in the nation. The front 4 is EASILY the best in the nation.

There is no "anomaly" to it, the Texas offense could not and probably never could move the ball on the 2009 huskers D. I think it's so funny how many excuses I'm hearing. Let me guess, the T-Tech, Oklahoma and a&m games were "anomalies" too?

Get real. Fans like you make me wait in anticipation for Bama to put Texas in its rightful place; behind TCU, Boise, and Cincy.

Last edited by Jays1983; 12-07-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,575,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Both offenses should have a good showing.
Based on what? UT has played 3 top 25 Defenses this year (CU, OU, and NU), in each of those games Colt and the offense has been less than stellar. Averaging less than 200 yards a game passing and only throwing 2 Tds with 5 int's.

'Bama is #7 in passing Defense. #2 in total defense.

I don't see how all of the suddden Texas is going to find a passing game against the best pass defense they will have faced all year.

We all saw what 'Bama did to very good UF defense.

Pointless in Pasadena. Tide is going to roll huge. McClain is going to have a field day with Colt.

I'll call it 31-10. 'Bama. 2-3 td margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football