U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 05:33 PM

9,569 posts, read 27,064,579 times

Advertisements

Why have they been so terrible in recent years? I'm a hokie and remember how they always gave us a run for our money and even dashed some of our major bowl hopes during the mid-late 90's and early 2000's. I haven't paid much attention to them since the Hokies moved to the ACC but I was listening to Jim Rome talk about Syracuse football today and his criticism was brutal.

They use to be pretty darn good. What went wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,019,837 times
Syracuse seemed to completely unravel when they fired Paul Pasqualoni. Gross, the AD, brought in Greg Robinson that he felt was better and could take them to "the next level." Ultimately, he was horrible. Pasqualoni on the other hand had one losing season in his 14 years at SU with a record of 107-59-1. He recruited McNabb (which I remember watching his first game at SU) and had some great teams with Marvin Graves even before McNabb. Now, with the rise of Rutgers and even UConn, recruiting New York and the Northeast is becoming more an more difficult.

But, things go in cycles, so it may change one day.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:25 PM

623 posts, read 1,350,438 times
Doug Marrone is a good coach. I say they'll be on the rise.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:32 AM

2,818 posts, read 5,821,786 times
Look forward to see how that Palus QB, who played Basketball for Duke goes.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 AM

16,532 posts, read 20,994,530 times
They had SUCH a winning tradition that doesn't seem that long ago. Check out this group of backs from the 50's and 60's that were from Syracuse; Jim Brown, Ernie Davis (first African American football player to win the Heisman trophy, Floyd Little, Larry Csonka. Head coach Ben Schwartzwalder cranked out some great teams in those years.

The OP is right. I caught just a little of Jim Rome on that subject and he WAS critical of the program!

Very puzzling.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:03 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,362,383 times
Jim Rome is a jack--- who is critical of everything.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 112,257 times
Despite having the worst 4 year span in school history under Greg Robinson Syracuse is still the 16th winningest football program in college football ahead of both Florida and Miami FL with an NFL pedigree that is elite. Needless to say its been a rough half decade but.....

The 'Cuse shall rise again!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,867,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robb350 View Post

The 'Cuse shall rise again!
hopefully, because the Big East is getting weaker

I'm a WVU fanatic, but it's sad seeing a team like that get there ass kicked, unless its by a Mountaineer

Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Not gonna be easy though.

Syracuse can improve, I am not sure if can necessarily be as dominant eastern power as it once was.

It used to be The Cuse, Pitt and Penn State. And even then Penn State was the only team that was really competing on a national scale competiively year in and year out.

Now its them AND Rutgers, UConn, Boston College, you should include WVU because they mine the Northeast alot too.

Hey, I wanna see em come back too. They can be a regional contender for sure. But a NATIONAL one? That's gonna take some doin....

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

81 posts, read 112,257 times
The Cuse just needs some of its magic ala "86 vs #1 Nebraska and '"87 Penn State.

Those 2 games featured complete domination over a title contender and the defending national champion and set the tone for about 15 years of success.

SU is in a good position because there are some real big games over the next few years, but this years schedule is relatively easy in comparison and is an opportunity to create a little buzz by winning some games and at least making a bowl game.

This way we can attain some more depth and settle into our new recruits to at least have some chance in these future mega games (Penn State, USC, Notre Dame, Boston College) Is it a steep climb? Yes, especially with your points on UCON and Rutgers, but it can be done. Plus, Syracuse has the resources to dedicate to it.

As for WVU, I have always liked them and pull for them when they do not play Cuse, unlike some other BE teams, which is why I greatly look forward to being at the game in Morgantown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or