U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 03:28 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camonberre View Post
Karma's a B*TCH ain't it Oregon? Your cheating officials during the OU game and now you get the beat down! I love it.

Oregon 0-1.

Ducks are pathetic.
And the Sooners are 0-1 as well. Time to move on. Lots of football to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times
As one of the resident Oregon Duck fans on this board, I've kept silent regarding our former running back, LeGarrette Blount. I've had a few days to process the events that transpired on Thursday and will now comment on them. Feel free to read or not.

First, as a team we were horrible. We were not prepared to play that game and it showed. We were outcoached and outplayed. Our O-line was patheitic at best and that effected QB and RB play. I do believe athletically UO is better than BSU, but was that is another thread.

Second, it is undeniable that Hout provoked Blount by screaming in his face and slapping him on the shoulder. This occurred while Blount was walking away. There are even rumors that have not been denied by BSU that Hout asked about Blount's recently deceased aunt. These are rumors, not facts, so only Blount and Hout know the truth. However, Blount should have walked away. Plain and simple. This year the NCAA is promoting sportsmanship like it is the DARE program. Besides Blount knowing that it was on national TV, the fact remains, you simply cannot punch another player. The more concerning fact is that Blount tangled with his own team and went after the crowd. Yes, the crowd provoked him too. Yes, a BSU fan threw a punch. Yes, another picked up a chair. But, athletes know and have learned from Artest, you can't go after fans without consequences.

Third, the punishment: I fully support UO's decision to not allow him to play for the remainder of the season. Chip Kelly has said that Blount can practice with the team and he can continue to learn in hopes he will get another opportunity in the NFL. Kelly appears to have an interest in his players as men and not look at them as wins/loses like so many other traditional powers. I can say that in Eugene, there is more of a family atmosphere with the team than other places I have lived. I went to Tennessee and now live in Austin, so I have a little bit of perspective regarding this. That is my opinion only. I've read posts that touched on UO's suspensions in the past and especially DUIs. We have a new coach that handles things differently so far. UO is not a program known to have very many discipline issues. Kelly has stated that the Blount situation is closed and will not be reversed.

Final thoughts: Blount is gone, end of story. Given the added spotlight on sportsmanship this year, would the punishment be different last year? Hard to say, but I don't think so. Kelly is a hard-nosed East Coast man. He seems to call it like he sees it. Blount had some issues in the summer as well. Early in the year, a potential starting LB left suddenly and claimed he wanted to move back home. Apparently, he may have burned a bridge or two in leaving. Later, he wanted to come back but Kelly said it was best for himself and the team if he did not.

Many of you want to crucify this young man. Some of you do not see a problem with his reaction. IMO it lies in the middle like almost all situations in life. Was Hout wrong? Yes. He should get suspended for a game or two. Is BSU being too easy? Yes. The new Pac-10 commisioner has talked with the WAC commissioner and it is now up to BSU to do something as well...which I do not believe they will. One thing is for sure, the University of Oregon has handled this situation, not you or any of us other 'armchair QBs.' They have made a hard decision and hopefully that will continue the rest of Kelly's tenure. This decision is setting in place firm and clear expectations if you want to play for Oregon.

Here's to the Ducks learning from this and rebounding with a win versus Purdue.

Last edited by Acuda; 09-07-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football