Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,590 times

Advertisements

Until they hit relevance again?

Until they make it to a REAL bowl game?

Until Al Groh is dropped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 AM

God, good question. I watch Tech too but pull for the flagship. If places like UNC, Cal, Standford and Wake Forest can be respectable, so can we! That's all I need for now, to get respectable again. It'll take longer though cause of academic standards.

Groh does need to go, we haven't made it to the next level like he said we would, we went backwards. I don't think the UVA athletics department will wanna give up the revenue and attention we earned under Welsh, so hopefully things will change after this season.

One question though, what is a REAL bowl game (besides the 5 big BCS ones)? After all all give payouts and get your team on ESPN (Even if we get things together it'll be a LONG time 'fore we can aim for say the Gator Bowl again

Last edited by waltlantz; 09-18-2009 at 04:20 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,631,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
God, good question. I watch Tech too but pull for the flagship. If places like UNC, Cal, Standford and Wake Forest can be respectable, so can we! That's all I need for now, to get respectable again. It'll take longer though cause of academic standards.
Does UVA have different academic standards for football players than, say, Clemson?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:36 AM

Couldn't find much numbers, but according to College Football News, both VA and Clemson have relatively high Academic Performance rates.

Scout.com: CFN Three-Year Program Rankings - APR

Old 09-18-2009, 08:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,621,288 times
^^^UVA and Clemson both get very good recruits. Both teams are where they are because of the coaching.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:49 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,445,415 times
Quote:

Groh does need to go, we haven't made it to the next level like he said we would, we went backwards. I don't think the UVA athletics department will wanna give up the revenue and attention we earned under Welsh, so hopefully things will change after this season.

One question though, what is a REAL bowl game (besides the 5 big BCS ones)? After all all give payouts and get your team on ESPN (Even if we get things together it'll be a LONG time 'fore we can aim for say the Gator Bowl again
Did you just answer your own question?

Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Actually, I kinda figured it out later by looking at payouts and which have top 25 teams.

Anyways, I can't believe that the team at one point could regularly win 7-8 games, I became a fan way after the glory years. Just gotta wait for a change at the helm I guess.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
^^^UVA and Clemson both get very good recruits. Both teams are where they are because of the coaching.
Hmm, I always though hoity toity VA with it's high academic rankings would have the problem that Ivy League schools due in loosing out best recruits to easier schools (at least thats what my pop told me) but after reading history, I know that's not an excuse. I agree, it's coaching. What ever Groh's doing, it hasn't meshed well with the team.

There was an interesting article at ESPN talking about wiether certain coaches "fit" a school's system. Dunno how much it applies to this situation, but tell me what you all think.

Coaching "fit" is hard to define, but success is one size that fits all - ESPN

Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,462,584 times
Quote:
Until they hit relevance again?

Until they make it to a REAL bowl game?

Until Al Groh is dropped?
Not until they lob George Welsh a phone call?

Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,621,288 times
Quote:
Hmm, I always though hoity toity VA with it's high academic rankings would have the problem that Ivy League schools due in loosing out best recruits to easier schools (at least thats what my pop told me) but after reading history, I know that's not an excuse. I agree, it's coaching. What ever Groh's doing, it hasn't meshed well with the team.

There was an interesting article at ESPN talking about wiether certain coaches "fit" a school's system. Dunno how much it applies to this situation, but tell me what you all think.

Coaching "fit" is hard to define, but success is one size that fits all - ESPN
In 2001 Al Groh became the head coach of UVA. In 2002 the Grapes (uva means grape in Italian) had the 12th best recruiting class. In 2003, the Grapes had the 20th best recruiting class. In 2004 they had the 40th best class but they still had the guys from 02 and 03 on the team. In 2005 Virginia had the 19th best recruiting class in the nation, better than Texas and LSU. In 2006, they had the 39th best recruiting class. UVA had the 25th ranked recruiting class in 07 and here's the link so that you can see for yourself Rivals.com Team Ranking (http://rivals100.rivals.com/TeamRank.asp?postype=0&sort=0&year=2002 - broken link) (it starts at 2002-2010). Groh had some good talent but couldn't coach them up. UVA underachieved most of those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football