Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:30 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
If the way this year went down doesn't "enlighten" folks to the parity in college football nowdays, nothing will. Sadly, you'll have not only fans down in the good ol' south, but voters and coaches that will continue to perpetuate the myth that the SEC is beyond every other conference and should get a free pass to the NC game without playing anyone besides their overrated conference teams.
I actually think the PAC-10 may be the best all-around conference this year. This after they were arguably the worst BCS conference last year. SEC is little more than Florida and Alabama, and the Big 12 is little more than Texas, Oklahoma State, and an inconsistent Nebraska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
I actually think the PAC-10 may be the best all-around conference this year. This after they were arguably the worst BCS conference last year. SEC is little more than Florida and Alabama, and the Big 12 is little more than Texas, Oklahoma State, and an inconsistent Nebraska.
The Pac-10 went 5-0 in the bowls including USC demolishing Penn State, Oregon laying down the wood on Oklahoma State, Arizona beating a top 15 BYU team, Oregon State beating Pitt (currently ranked in the top 10), and Cal beating Miami (if I remember correctly). That's pretty darn good against teams that have all continued to be good this year. But, I guess it's your opinion.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:37 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
President Obama has already endorsed the idea of a playoff.
Who cares?

Obama's -endorsement--of a playoff and 25 cents will get you coffee at Ma and Pa's Kettle in Cameron Missouri

Old 11-27-2009, 05:42 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
I like the BCS just the way it is.

Heck,basketball has a tournament selection that picks 65 teams, and still people cry that their favorite team got " robbed" cuz they didn't get selected.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
You know, I love it when people say TCU shouldn't be in the National Title because they're in a "weak" conference.

You do know that the MWC is NOT a BCS conference, right? Because of this, TCU has to not only beat down every team in its conference, which they've done, but they also have to play (and beat) more than one of the BCS schools... which they've done. It's also funny how you say, "PAC or WAC patsies" as if they're all just that weak. What, they're NOT supposed to win those games?

Because TCU isn't in one of the "big boy" conferences, they don't get that much exposure and the rest of the country can only go by what they see or hear on Sports Center every night, which doesn't really help that much. But this team is tough and arguably the most complete team in the nation. They've proven that they can win

So my question to y'all is, what the hell gives you the right to say that they DON'T deserve to play in the National Title game? Is it arrogance or fear that you guys won't be on top forever.....?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:27 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Is it ... fear...?
Yes, yes it is. And rightfully so...I think TCU might just be the best team this year. Maybe we'll get lucky and Florida will lose to Florida State, then beat Alabama, and Nebraska will beat Texas. But then we'd probably end up with Ohio State vs Cincinnati in the championship game. Damn!

Old 11-27-2009, 10:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Yes, yes it is. And rightfully so...I think TCU might just be the best team this year. Maybe we'll get lucky and Florida will lose to Florida State, then beat Alabama, and Nebraska will beat Texas. But then we'd probably end up with Ohio State vs Cincinnati in the championship game. Damn!
That's what you get with the BCS....

Old 11-27-2009, 10:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I like the BCS just the way it is.

Heck,basketball has a tournament selection that picks 65 teams, and still people cry that their favorite team got " robbed" cuz they didn't get selected.
True, BUT there are two differences.

1) All conference are represented by a champion OR a tournament champion.

2) At the end, there is a champion decided.

Old 11-27-2009, 10:43 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,497,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick828 View Post
President Obama has already endorsed the idea of a playoff.
Oh, that's wonderful. Can I be an NCAA Playoff Czar? I pledge to cover any advertising loss from bowl games by sticking it to the taxpayers for a BCS Bailout

Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM

623 posts, read 1,542,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
If the way this year went down doesn't "enlighten" folks to the parity in college football nowdays, nothing will. Sadly, you'll have not only fans down in the good ol' south, but voters and coaches that will continue to perpetuate the myth that the SEC is beyond every other conference and should get a free pass to the NC game without playing anyone besides their overrated conference teams.

This year you have 2 very fine teams in Florida and Alabama. One has proven they can win consistently this last decade and have won two NCs. Bravo! The other on the other hand, appears to have risen from it's past, but pathetically got "knocked the f*** out" last year by Utah, a team from a conference so many in the SEC speak ever so highly of... In my opinion, it is "what have you done lately for me." Bama hasn't done sh**. They got curbstomped by the Utes last year. This year the SEC was garbage. Florida, who I feel is a good team, played weak a** teams like they always do. The argument of the tough SEC schedule is old. LSU barely got by a Washington team and LATech, two teams with a combined 6 wins. Mighty LSU aka "The 2 Minute Phenoms" was both of UF's and Bama's best wins.

Sadly, nothing will change. The top SEC teams will gorge themselves on cupcakes or step it up and schedule a toughy...the bottomdwellers of the BCS conferences, and then pound their chest and claim they are King Kong!

I cannot wait until my Oregon Ducks stormtroop into Neyland, wipe out the good ol' Vols, take the Southern women, pillage and burn Knoxville, and feast upon giant turkey legs like the conquerors we will be...

Oh, who am I kidding...why get so pumped up for a patsy like UT...
God you're not bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football