Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,778,651 times

Advertisements

what are the reasons they can't create a tournament with the top 8 teams in it?...I mean is there an elite organization behind the scenes like the government who only want certain teams to be crowned each year?...i think they should do a tournament already...this points system is stupid...the best must play the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,449,678 times
Quite odd that you want a playoff in this thread, yet in another thread claim that anyone who plays Florida is going to get destroyed in the NC, thus proving that the "real title game" is in fact the SEC Championship.

"whoever plays in it will get demolished by Florida i think...except Alabama....that would be a close one.....i think the real championship game will be the SEC title game...trust me"

So, which one is it? It seems that you think that the two best teams are Bama and UF and they should play for the NC. It won't happen, but the system has been set up to sure help that scenario the best it can. I feel that if we did have a playoff this year, neither of those teams would be in the NC game. They have only proven that they can beat a horribly overrated LSU team and a bunch of other patsies from both OOC and the SEC.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,841,032 times
Do this.....

- The Top 8 in the BCS play each other in a tournament.
- The 6 teams that don't make the final game (i.e., The National Championship Game) play in the other three BCS bowls. Those teams must be selected to the bowls AFTER the 2 rounds are played.
- Obviously, this would get rid of that "Plus 1" idea and the extra BCS game, but it would still be 1000Xs better than the system we have now.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,193,073 times
So whats 4-8 done? Beat a bunch of patsies that would be 0-10 in the SEC and be victims of the SEC patsies if they had to play them instead of glorified high school teams.

One can be impressed by the TCU and Boise St. highlight reels throwing 50 or 60 points on some PAC or WAC lightweight all they want........it would not happen against a FL or AL defense. The BCS is fine, no playoff needed.

The BCS busters have to get pumped up for what ,1 or 2 games a year. FL and Bama have to stay on their toes every SEC game. The SEC is 5-0 in BCS NC games, only conference undefeated in BCS NC games. Who's supposed to get to the NC game does get in, BCS is fine.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
what are the reasons they can't create a tournament with the top 8 teams in it?...I mean is there an elite organization behind the scenes like the government who only want certain teams to be crowned each year?...i think they should do a tournament already...this points system is stupid...the best must play the best.
There are three NCAA football tournaments: Division 1-AA, Division II, and Division III. By December 16th, there will be three champions that are readily identifiable. All schools schools playing in those divisions have the opportunity to play for the chanpionship.

In the FBS, only the top six conferences have ANY opportunity to play for the championship. It is all about the money. They do not want to split the pot among all of the schools. When the "lower tier" starts playing better and becomes more competitive, they are shunned by the larger schools.

If I remember right didn't Alabama lose to that phenomenal power - Northern Illinois - about four years ago ... and Tennessee won the next year by FIVE points?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 AM

369 posts, read 774,333 times
President Obama has already endorsed the idea of a playoff.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM

977 posts, read 1,950,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
So whats 4-8 done? Beat a bunch of patsies that would be 0-10 in the SEC and be victims of the SEC patsies if they had to play them instead of glorified high school teams.
One can be impressed by the TCU and Boise St. highlight reels throwing 50 or 60 points on some PAC or WAC lightweight all they want........it would not happen against a FL or AL defense.
Same old tired BS from the same old tired SEC homers. Utah already proved your theory wrong last year. This year it's TCU's turn. The MWC is not as tough as the Big 12 or SEC, but they are not as weak as you would like them to be. I will take TCU over ANYONE this year.
If you guys aren't scared of Boise State, then why does the entire SEC (and every other major conference) REFUSE to play them? Should be another walk in the park like Troy and Charleston Southern, right?

Quote:
The BCS busters have to get pumped up for what ,1 or 2 games a year. FL and Bama have to stay on their toes every SEC game.
Because surely the SEC is the only conference that does that....

Quote:
Who's supposed to get to the NC game does get in, BCS is fine.
When a 13-0 Utah team who destroyed the SEC's 2nd place team does not get in, no it is not working fine. That's what you SEC homers love...NOT playing the games. You can dodge Utah and Boise State for Charleston Southern and Troy, then proclaim you are the greatest. It's no different for Florida to beat those teams 62-3 than it is for Boise State to do the same to San Jose State.

By your logic you all should WANT to play TCU or Boise State in the championship game...should be easy to keep that undefeated record in BS NC games.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,001,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post

One can be impressed by the TCU and Boise St. highlight reels throwing 50 or 60 points on some PAC or WAC lightweight all they want........it would not happen against a FL or AL defense. The BCS is fine, no playoff needed.

The BCS busters have to get pumped up for what ,1 or 2 games a year. FL and Bama have to stay on their toes every SEC game. The SEC is 5-0 in BCS NC games, only conference undefeated in BCS NC games. Who's supposed to get to the NC game does get in, BCS is fine.

cause you wouldnt want to take the risk of having your SEC team lose to a MWC team like TCU or a WAC team like Boise St, having the BCS systems guarantees that Alabama or Florida wont lose to them in the playoffs and jeapordize a chance at the championship game.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:36 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,449,678 times
If the way this year went down doesn't "enlighten" folks to the parity in college football nowdays, nothing will. Sadly, you'll have not only fans down in the good ol' south, but voters and coaches that will continue to perpetuate the myth that the SEC is beyond every other conference and should get a free pass to the NC game without playing anyone besides their overrated conference teams.

This year you have 2 very fine teams in Florida and Alabama. One has proven they can win consistently this last decade and have won two NCs. Bravo! The other on the other hand, appears to have risen from it's past, but pathetically got "knocked the f*** out" last year by Utah, a team from a conference so many in the SEC speak ever so highly of... In my opinion, it is "what have you done lately for me." Bama hasn't done sh**. They got curbstomped by the Utes last year. This year the SEC was garbage. Florida, who I feel is a good team, played weak a** teams like they always do. The argument of the tough SEC schedule is old. LSU barely got by a Washington team and LATech, two teams with a combined 6 wins. Mighty LSU aka "The 2 Minute Phenoms" was both of UF's and Bama's best wins.

Sadly, nothing will change. The top SEC teams will gorge themselves on cupcakes or step it up and schedule a toughy...the bottomdwellers of the BCS conferences, and then pound their chest and claim they are King Kong!

I cannot wait until my Oregon Ducks stormtroop into Neyland, wipe out the good ol' Vols, take the Southern women, pillage and burn Knoxville, and feast upon giant turkey legs like the conquerors we will be...

Oh, who am I kidding...why get so pumped up for a patsy like UT...

Old 11-27-2009, 04:48 PM

369 posts, read 774,333 times
Alabama beat Virginia Tech out of schedule...pretty good team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football