Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
as opposed to Texas that scored, what 13 points, on the big stage of the bix XII championship that determined if they got to play in the NC

I think it's hard to argue against Bama ..... but you can certainly argue against TX for Boise or TCU

I mean TX went out and scheduled out of conference power teams like UTEP, UCF, UL-M and Wyoming despite having such intense conference matchups as baylor, colorado and kansas

With TCU playing clemson, utah and byu (all 3 of which won their bowl games) I don't think a TX fan can knock their schedule .... TCU regular season opponents are 6-0 in their bowl games
You know, I think the TX schedule for this year can be considered somewhat irrelevant because of the simple fact that they have pretty much the same team as last year and the schedule last year was a total beast. I know that's not how it's supposed to work (every year is independent), but if you just think about it...

I'm not sure Nebraska or OU wouldn't have clobbered TCU or Boise St. And you don't have to see them play each other. You just had to watch the Fiesta Bowl and all the basic football mistakes and simple failures to execute simple plays on both sides of the football. Compare that to the precision and execution Florida displayed at the Sugar Bowl...it's night and day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
And if margin of victory is your biggest problem:

Alabama - Tennessee 12-10
Alabama - Auburn 26-21

Florida - Arkansas 23-20
Florida - Miss St 29-19 (but if you really watched that game, it was closer than the score)

Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,613,121 times
Like TCU's 14-10 win over Clemson or the 20-17 win over Air Force? C'mon its easy to nit pick out the close ones for any team.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I think the TX schedule for this year can be considered somewhat irrelevant because of the simple fact that they have pretty much the same team as last year and the schedule last year was a total beast. I know that's not how it's supposed to work (every year is independent), but if you just think about it...

I'm not sure Nebraska or OU wouldn't have clobbered TCU or Boise St. And you don't have to see them play each other. You just had to watch the Fiesta Bowl and all the basic football mistakes and simple failures to execute simple plays on both sides of the football. Compare that to the precision and execution Florida displayed at the Sugar Bowl...it's night and day.
cincy isn't exactly known for their defense.......

also you don't have to watch every single game to realize that the guy with the highest passer efficiency in the nation missing open receivers probably isn't indicative of his every day performance

Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

180 posts, read 526,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
Uhhh dude, this is college.
Uhhh, dude...I think he was referring to all the other levels of college football. Division I-AA (or whatever they call it now), Division II, and Division III all have playoffs.

Last edited by cdc1211; 01-06-2010 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 01-07-2010, 11:12 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times
First of all TCU vs. BOise disappointed many not because it wasn't a good game, but because most expected a total of 70+ points. Defenses stepped up and controlled the offenses.
My opinion is that these teams should not be discarded just because of the name they have. Only a ply-off system would solve the issue but we know the BCS won't allow that to happen.
Until then, every year we will have the same discussion. However I don't think that by watching a game between Boise and TCU you can determine that neither teams could play the big guys.
It depends on the matchup and many other factors.
I personally would love to see the top 8 ranked team play a simple play-off (8th @ 1st, 7th at 2nd etc...) and I am sure many would be suprised of what some of these underrated teams could do.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
P.S. It's not just the Fiesta Bowl that was a joke. The whole mishmash of bowl games is a joke, and has been for several years now. And the silly names imposed by sponsors don't add anything, either. Let's be honest: how could any school be proud of fielding a team in the "Chick-Fil-A Bowl?"

Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,080 times
Yeah, we all get it. Once again, same ignorant BS from the same ignorant BcS supporters. This game proved they suck because there was "no offense." If it had been 49-45, it would have proved they suck because there was no defense.
TCU's bowl-bound opponents this year went 6-0. Maybe that goes to show that their schedule wasn't as weak as you'd like to think it was. And Boise still beat them. Maybe that proves that in spite of Boise's comparitively weaker schedule, they are still an elite team. They still beat the PAC 10 and MWC conference champions.
Get over it. Either one of these teams are better than every team in the Big East or ACC and have as much right to the big stage as any of the BCS conferences.
If you can get some of these big-name schools to quit hiding under their desk and be willing to schedule these teams (in particular Boise State) during the regular season, then you are a better man than most. Only in college football can you stay on top by running away and hiding. That's how the BCS conferences keep the WAC and MWC out, and that's a fact.

There needs to be a 16-team playoff, all 11 conference champions included. That way, if one of the smaller conference champs gets destroyed by an at-large, there is no argument about whether or not they are good enough to play for a title. If they beat the big schools, then there's still no argument.

Both of these teams are top-5 caliber teams. TCU is not "overrated" because they lost a game. By that logic, Florida is overrated. Both lost to elite teams this season.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Look, there will never be a PERFECT way of deciding who wins the National Title, but there can at least be a FAIR way of doing things.

Most of you guys who support the BCS put so much stock in "strenght of conference" and total ignore the fact that they finish undefeated. Isn't that what the BCS is supposed to be? Win every game on your schedule and you're #1?

Apparently not.... Besides, the only reason why you say Bosie State couldn't compete against Alabama is because (1) you let the media and your conference presidents tell you and you follow that like a bunch of mindless sheep and (2) you know there's no way they will play against each other just based on how this system is. Admit it!

Old 01-07-2010, 01:02 PM

2,625 posts, read 11,217,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
As I watched this game all I could think of was that I was watching two lower level schools play. Anyone who still argues that TCU should have been in the national championship conversation is looney, and the same goes for Boise St. These two QB couldnt throw a damn out route across the field to save thier lives. They booth looked like a tired Chad Pennington. The defnses played well, but heck the offense wasnt that impressive so how hard would they have been to stop? Both of these teams would have gotten destroyed by Alabama, Florida, or Texas. Finally the nation can see these two schools are benefactors of lame schedules. They are not ready for the BIG TIME!

mid majors have been whooping majors alot more recently, you have to give boise st their due, they whooped the ducks, you can speculate, but well never know until we have a playoff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football