Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You think this would worK?
Yes 4 15.38%
No 13 50.00%
Maybe, but it needs tweeking 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:29 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times

Advertisements

As good as it would be for the program and for football in Houston, I'm having a hard time picturing UH in the Big 12. One reason is Robertson Stadium, and UH's "commuter school" reputation is the other. But do we suppose the conference would overlook that to have a foothold in such a large city/metropolitan area?

I could see both UT and A&M being against it because it would plausibly weaken their recruiting pull in an area rich with football talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
As good as it would be for the program and for football in Houston, I'm having a hard time picturing UH in the Big 12. One reason is Robertson Stadium, and UH's "commuter school" reputation is the other. But do we suppose the conference would overlook that to have a foothold in such a large city/metropolitan area?
I could see both UT and A&M being against it because it would plausibly weaken their recruiting pull in an area rich with football talent.
Anything's possible....

Like I mentioned, by adding U of H and TCU, you're taking two schools that are in the top 10 largest markets in the country.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Anything's possible....

Like I mentioned, by adding U of H and TCU, you're taking two schools that are in the top 10 largest markets in the country.
They won't add the Houston nor the DFW market. Texas and Texas A&M already covers Houston and Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma already covers DFW. TCU nor Houston does not really bring anything to the table. I mean TCU had a hard time selling out it's stadium late in the season when they were in the top 5.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:10 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
You have to remember, this thread is just throwing out possibilities. I hate to say it, but it might be a cold day in Hell before TCU joins the Big XII within the next 8-10 years.....
TCU could join the Big XII. It's just that Texas and Texas A&M won't be in it with them. It will be a cold day in hell before TCU and Texas/A&M play in the same conference again.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I mean TCU had a hard time selling out it's stadium late in the season when they were in the top 5.
When they were playing against one of the Mountain West's little sisters of the poor with no regional/rivalry implications, sure. Put the Longhorns or Aggies or even Tech in there and see if it doesn't sell out.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
When they were playing against one of the Mountain West's little sisters of the poor with no regional/rivalry implications, sure. Put the Longhorns or Aggies or even Tech in there and see if it doesn't sell out.
TCU (stadium capacity roughly 44,000) has had three sellouts in the past 25 years: in 1984 vs. Texas, in 2006 vs. Texas Tech, and in 2009 vs. Utah (ESPN Gameday was there). It may be a tough sell, considering that it would have to draw crowds for northern programs at higher ticket prices than they are faced with now.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
TCU (stadium capacity roughly 44,000) has had three sellouts in the past 25 years: in 1984 vs. Texas, in 2006 vs. Texas Tech, and in 2009 vs. Utah (ESPN Gameday was there). It may be a tough sell, considering that it would have to draw crowds for northern programs at higher ticket prices than they are faced with now.
The big schools' fans travel well though, and they've got alumni in spades in DFW and HTX. Besides, it's a little different if a team is not only ranked but has an actual shot at a national championship, which they'd have in a BCS conference. Unless of course hell freezes over, the NCAA enters the 21st century and we have a playoff system before this theoretical Big 12 comes to be, in which case they'd have a chance anyway. Then you're reasonably going to have a lot more buzz on a local level than you would for a CUSA or Mountain West tilt against nobody special. What would be crucial is that TCU/UH be competitive when they start out. I bet if they have a fighting chance to take out UT or OU or some other heavy hitter, even from the north, it's standing room only.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:50 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Keep in mind, TCU's program just 13 years ago only one a single game and they were a pretty mediocre program that hasn't seen its glory days in decades. Also, because of the BIG program mentality of this state, TCU doesn't get any kind recognition, even when they're winning, and the Horned Frogs wont get that if no school with a much better chance of going to the Title game wants to play them. From those three sellouts, two were the state powerhouses, and one of them was the ESPN Game of the Week. If those powerhouse schools played TCU @ home every year, then maybe we'd sell out every season instead of getting New Mexico and UNLV.... If TCU (and the same goes for Houston) just keeps winning, then there's no reason why they shouldn't at least get a shot at a BCS conference if there will be no playoff.

And it just goes for all of the non-BCS schools that are ranked every season. Just keep winning, and eventually, they'll get their chance. No matter what the "big boys" want.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Keep in mind, TCU's program just 13 years ago only one a single game and they were a pretty mediocre program that hasn't seen its glory days in decades. Also, because of the BIG program mentality of this state, TCU doesn't get any kind recognition, even when they're winning, and the Horned Frogs wont get that if no school with a much better chance of going to the Title game wants to play them. From those three sellouts, two were the state powerhouses, and one of them was the ESPN Game of the Week. If those powerhouse schools played TCU @ home every year, then maybe we'd sell out every season instead of getting New Mexico and UNLV.... If TCU (and the same goes for Houston) just keeps winning, then there's no reason why they shouldn't at least get a shot at a BCS conference if there will be no playoff.

And it just goes for all of the non-BCS schools that are ranked every season. Just keep winning, and eventually, they'll get their chance. No matter what the "big boys" want.
Yes, I agree...if TCU (and other mid-tier schools) keep showing a consistency of winning and beating a larger program often then they definitely deserve a shot at the BCS title.

The fact that the Big 10 (+1) is even talking realignment is a pretty big deal. If Missouri left for the Big 10 that would definitely shake up the Big 12 and open the door for some other teams. However, would the Big 12 Bigwhigs (Commissioner and all the Fat Cats with money) want to change the greatest division in all of college football (the Big 12 South)? My guess is probably not.

Hence, even if Missouri did leave for the Big 10, the likelihood of the Big 12 South shifting is slim....which probably leaves TCU (as a Southern team) on the outside looking in. The Big 12 North would probably go after some of the Western teams that have already been mentioned.

I could see TCU joining the Big 12 if there was an East/West designation like I have already laid out. It will be interesting to see if there really is anything to this realignment talk.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times
Saw this little tidbit about Pac-10 expansion. As posted before, I think it is likely the Pac goes after CU and Utah for reasons I've stated before. looks like some others might be hearing slight rumors as well.

Utah to the PAC 10? Not BYU? It could happen - ABC 4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football