U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM

2,818 posts, read 5,818,697 times

Advertisements

Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was suspended Friday for the upcoming season by coach Chip Kelly after pleading guilty to second-degree burglary in the theft of a pair of laptops and a guitar from a campus fraternity.

Masoli, who had been mentioned as a potential Heisman candidate, will remain on scholarship with the Ducks.

"He does have a redshirt season available to him if he chooses to do that," Kelly said.

Kelly announced the suspension just hours after Masoli appeared in Lane County Circuit Court to answer to the burglary charge.

Kelly, who has come under fire for some of his disciplinary decisions, also meted out punishment for running back LaMichael James and place-kicker Rob Beard.

"I am extremely disappointed anytime any of our players fall short of our expectations that have been clearly outlined for them in advance on numerous occasions, and this is especially true regarding their roles within the community," Kelly said. "Their accountability for their actions is paramount and any tainting of the reputation of the University of Oregon and this football program will not be tolerated."

Masoli pleaded guilty as part of a deal that reduced his charge from a felony to a misdemeanor. Former Ducks receiver Garrett Embry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of second-degree burglary as well.

Both were sentenced to 12 months of probation and 140 hours of community service. Together they must also pay $5,000 restitution.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns, leading Oregon to the school's first Rose Bowl appearance since 1995.

Kelly's action was the latest twist to the Ducks' offseason of disarray.

Beard was placed on probation after entering his plea.

Linebacker Kiko Alonso pleaded not guilty to drunken driving charges in Eugene Municipal Court last week. Kelly suspended Alonso for the 2010 season upon learning of the arrest.

Defensive end Matt Simms was dismissed by Kelly after he was cited on assault charges last month. Simms pleaded guilty to physical harassment for striking a man he thought had beaten Beard.

Receiver Jamere Holland was dismissed from the team after posting vulgar comments and criticizing Kelly on the Facebook social networking site.

Kelly, who made his debut as a head coach last season, was questioned after he brought back running back LeGarrette Blount early from a season-long suspension.

Blount was suspended for punching a Boise State defensive end following the season-opening loss. He missed eight games before he was reinstated for meeting certain academic and behavioral criteria set down by Kelly.

University president Richard Lariviere issued a statement late Friday in support of Kelly's actions.

"I am confident that Coach Kelly has carefully and fairly considered the disciplinary actions he is imposing," Lariviere said. "I know that he understands the high expectations of Oregon's faculty, students and fans."

University of Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli suspended for season after pleading guilty to burglary charge - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Just gonna post it.

Srlsy, how stupid do you have to be to screw up that situation?

Pretty much makes him a worthless POS IMO.

Maybe he's mentally disabled?
Nah, I'm leaning towards POS.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Just gonna post it.

Srlsy, how stupid do you have to be to screw up that situation?

Pretty much makes him a worthless POS IMO.

Maybe he's mentally disabled?
Nah, I'm leaning towards POS.
Couldn't agree me, I guess the question is that will he redshirt the season or just transfer.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,853,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Couldn't agree me, I guess the question is that will he redshirt the season or just transfer.
I don't think a transfer would help him. What FBS school would want him after this? Huge question mark with his ethics, morals and personality in general.

Acuda comes to his defense in 3...2...1...

Old 03-13-2010, 01:53 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,989,654 times
Oregon is turning into a thug school. They used to be a respectable program and instituion, now they're letting in any moron who can becnh 300 lbs or runa 40 in 4 and a half seconds. I saw a documentary about their program and each player gets a TV with a PS3 in their locker. They also have a pool table and a big screen TV in the locker room and all sorts of futuristic technological devices. It looks like the Jetsons with a $50 billion makeover. The kids that play there are spoiled stupid and the school has little to no standars of whom they admit. They are the new "U"

Old 03-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I don't think a transfer would help him. What FBS school would want him after this? Huge question mark with his ethics, morals and personality in general.

Acuda comes to his defense in 3...2...1...
No dobut some Div-1 team would snap him up, even though what he done was pretty bad. Some team would be desperate enough too.

Every Ducks fan I've talked with thinks the punishment is fair enough. But we shall find out if Acuda thinks the same!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
My God, you wonder what goes through peoples minds sometimes.

Thanks for the report on this mattyj46!

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,003 times
Masoli is a f***in idiot!

When was the last time a player who was at least in the conversation for a Heisman fell that far? The situation was a very strange one to say the least. It dragged out for a long time, with an eyewitness that claimed he chased down a football player, the fingerprints apparently did match, then they didn't match...who knows what the heck went down?

I think what got Masoli suspended for the year was he apparently lied to Chip Kelly. Players will break laws, make stupid decisions, act a fool, but do not lie to the coach. Masoli did, and he'll sit.

As far as the comment about us being Thug U, that is not accuarate at all. Masoli screwed up and was dealt with. The LaMichael James incident was blown WAY out of proportion by the media, haters, and general morons. You can read what happened and there was never any strangulation, major physical violence, and the chick actually would not leave his house, stole his keys and broke his chain. They actually talked after and then she called the cops the next night. He could have easily called the cops and had her removed. He didn't, made a dumb, immature mistake and will have that on his record. Now, hear me out, I DO NOT condone physical violence against women (or Boise State players...they are in the same class...I kid, sort of), but I felt James was treated poorly throughout the whole situation and ended up getting shafted with his sentence (10 days in jail + 24 months of probation). However, I think he should have been suspended for 3 games, but no longer. We have had a string of dumb college kid mistakes (not counting Masoli and James)...like DUIs, MIPs, but we ain't stealing car stereos (laptops only), getting paid by Luther Campbell, selling textbooks, and rockin gang colors, etc. So the whole Thug U comment is a bit of a stretch. Oregon actually does have higher standards, like other Pac-10 schools, that prevent many from getting in. We've lost many (especially D-linemen) who have gone on to enroll at other major conferences.

I find it rather comical that one could base their opinion on an exerpt from a documentary. Aren't you the lil' Fox News junior reporter? Yes, you're right, our school allows ravenous hordes of athletes that roam the Eugene countryside looking to brutalize the student body, terrorize the fraternity houses and, and...play video games in thier locker. No standards? Get a clue. Oregon may have nice facilities (all those newfangled, fancy-nancy techo gadgets), but if you really think that other major football programs do not spoil their athletes more than you and I would, or think they do not have opulent facilities as well, you do not know football.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWag...eature=related

Overall, this has been pretty embarassing for the alumni and fans. 99% of us feel Chip Kelly has dealt with this correctly and I do not think this will continue. We are looking forward to next year. We feel we can win a lot of games next year with either Nate Costa or Darron Thomas as qb. Thomas looks like a Dennis Dixon clone, so watch out.

Last edited by Acuda; 03-13-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 03-20-2010, 05:38 PM

623 posts, read 1,349,602 times
I'm sure he'll complete a series of conditions to the satisfaction of the athletic department and be back by July, just like Blount. Kelly's "suspensions" are a joke at best.

Hateful Facebook musings are worse than burglary, at least at Oregon.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,018,003 times
Jeremiah Masoli is now officially off the Ducks football team. He was popped for possession of less than an ounce of marijuana, driving with a suspended license and failure to stop at a driveway/sideway.

What's New | "UPDATE: Ducksā€™ Masoli kicked off team after being cited for pot possession" | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Thanks for the memories. Masoli= fail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football