Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
The last time the SEC expanded the only thing that kept Texas from joining was that Texas A&M wasn't going to be invited which killed the deal with the Texas state government. Similarly A&M will have to go wherever Texas ends up or have a standing offer from another major conference because Aggies in the state government won't let their team be left out in the cold.

If the SEC expands it will go for Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, and Clemson. It will make a run at Texas, but as stated above and for other reasons nothing will happen. After that its first order of business will be to get the football teams of the ACC simply because a major realignment of the football conferences will have them interested in finding a new home. After it will fill any available spaces by going after the basketball schools of the ACC probably in the order of UNC, Wake Forest, and Duke. Lousiville might sneak in in ACC bball round. Memphis won't because too many SEC schools recruit Memphis for football. Va. Tech and Maryland are too far north which is also why West Virginia won't get an offer. UAB, Troy, Southern Miss, and some others lack the fan base and ability in any major sport to be seriously considered and will continue to for as long as they are outside the SEC. The directional Florida schools would have a chance due to long term prospects except that its highly likely the SEC will be able to take most if not every school it wants in the ACC if major realignments are under way. Maybe something wierd will happen like Rice getting an offer based on baseball or Tulane getting an offer based for old times sake and the New Orleans road trip.

Personally I think 14 teams is the ideal number and Auburn should be moved to the East no matter how it shakes out since aside from Alabama all our historical rivals are in the East. This will be even more true if Georgia Tech or FSU joins.

I'd love to see GT and Auburn play every Year like in the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
If that was true the SWC would still be around instead of falling apart when it became a one state conference.
I still say Texas won't let it's big schools go. UT, A&M, Tech, TCU, Houston, and (to a lesser extent) Baylor could make up the new Big XII South if Mizzou, Nebraska, and/or Colorado gets bounced to another conference, making a mini SWC.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM

364 posts, read 717,181 times
Texas would never come to the SEC, they dont want to get exposed by the the SEC defences week in and week out. Its easy to have a conference like the Big 12 that puts up such big offensive stats when the defences are cupcake every week. The speed and size of SEC defences would put that Longhorn rep to the test...

Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Texas would never come to the SEC, they dont want to get exposed by the the SEC defences week in and week out. Its easy to have a conference like the Big 12 that puts up such big offensive stats when the defences are cupcake every week. The speed and size of SEC defences would put that Longhorn rep to the test...
Oh for God sake....

This ain't about which conference is better, this is about expansion. No Texas school is goin' to the SEC. The Big XII (south, at least) is good the way it is. It would be great if TCU and U of H filled the spots that Mizzou and possibly Colorado may leave open.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Oh for God sake....

This ain't about which conference is better, this is about expansion. No Texas school is goin' to the SEC. The Big XII (south, at least) is good the way it is. It would be great if TCU and U of H filled the spots that Mizzou and possibly Colorado may leave open.

I have a feeling the SEC expansion spots will come from the ACC(Georgia Tech,Clemson,Florida State and Maybe North Carolina will be candidates).

Old 05-13-2010, 06:19 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Yeah because the Big12 only had 3 of the top 10 defenses in all of FBS last year while the SEC had, wait for it, only 2 teams in the top 10 for total defense.

I really would have thought the SEC would have had more since the offenses down there average about 50 yards a game. oh wait, I forgot, thats only because the Defenses are so stout.

SEC fan does a good job not letting facts get in the way of PURE DOMINANCE!!!1!!

I heard they actually lift weights in the SEC!! no one stands a chance I tells ya!!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yeah because the Big12 only had 3 of the top 10 defenses in all of FBS last year while the SEC had, wait for it, only 2 teams in the top 10 for total defense.

I really would have thought the SEC would have had more since the offenses down there average about 50 yards a game. oh wait, I forgot, thats only because the Defenses are so stout.

SEC fan does a good job not letting facts get in the way of PURE DOMINANCE!!!1!!

I heard they actually lift weights in the SEC!! no one stands a chance I tells ya!!
50 yards per game... Classic

Yeah, but when you win a game 3-2, do you really need more than 50 yards per game? Geesh...

Yowzaa!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Don't forget Alabama toyed with Texas! Tennessee,LSU and Auburn gave Alabama tougher games than Texas did.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Don't forget Alabama toyed with Texas! Tennessee,LSU and Auburn gave Alabama tougher games than Texas did.
toyed with em? right. yeah they just let texas get within 3 points with 3 minutes left in the game with a QB that had ZERO starts and had already thrown 3 ints. yep, toyed with them.

save the SEC logic for someone else.

McCoy doesn't get hurt, Bama doesn't win.

Tenn, LSU and Auburn couldn't sniff the Longhorns jock last year.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
toyed with em? right. yeah they just let texas get within 3 points with 3 minutes left in the game with a QB that had ZERO starts and had already thrown 3 ints. yep, toyed with them.

save the SEC logic for someone else.

McCoy doesn't get hurt, Bama doesn't win.

Tenn, LSU and Auburn couldn't sniff the Longhorns jock last year.
Right on the money here, NeverGoingBack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football