Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:58 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times

Advertisements

I still think the Big Ten is going to add three teams. Nebraska, Kansas and Rutgers.

I don't see the point of taking Missouri when you can get Kansas just as easily.

I do know they won't expand without adding either Notre Dame, Nebraska or Texas. They must have one of those teams to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Nothing till June, all rumor hogwash. As expected that WHB report was bogus.

Jesus, do we really need 16 teams? Just get one and be done with it.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Nothing till June, all rumor hogwash. As expected that WHB report was bogus.

Jesus, do we really need 16 teams? Just get one and be done with it.
From what I understand, this isnt a rumor. It has not and cannot be announced yet but there is truth to all of this.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I still think the Big Ten is going to add three teams. Nebraska, Kansas and Rutgers.

I don't see the point of taking Missouri when you can get Kansas just as easily.

I do know they won't expand without adding either Notre Dame, Nebraska or Texas. They must have one of those teams to make it work.

Where did you get Kansas? I am a KU fan and follow everything that goes on there very closely and it has never even been metioned that KU is a possibility.

KU has not reason to go anywhere. KU makes a ton of money. MU does not and needs the revenue sharing for the Big 10 which is why they are so interested. KU has no need to move conferences.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Where did you get Kansas? I am a KU fan and follow everything that goes on there very closely and it has never even been metioned that KU is a possibility.

KU has not reason to go anywhere. KU makes a ton of money. MU does not and needs the revenue sharing for the Big 10 which is why they are so interested. KU has no need to move conferences.
Kansas makes about 10 million a year from the Big 12. Every team in the Big Ten makes 22 million. That's 12 million reasons.

I look at it like this: a school must bring in enough money so that every school in the Big Ten continues to get at least 22 million. I don't see how Missouri can do that. Kansas basketball will. Add Nebraska, Kansas and Rutgers and the payout could easily jump to 30 million per year per school. That's just TV money. Any tshirt and ticket sales is kept by individual schools.

Plus, the Big Ten has a much better deal with ESPN. Better games times. More games. And better bowls than the Big 12. That puts Kansas in a better spotlight for football.

And, from what I can tell Kansas is better academically than Missouri which is what the University presidents in the Big Ten are looking at. If I were Kansas I would jump in a heart beat. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Especially if the Big Ten gets Nebraska or Texas. The Big 12 could very well fall apart when/if that happens.

Any population differences between Missouri and Kansas are nullified by Kansas basketball. Big Ten Network is already in St Louis. Kansas would deliver K.C. as much as Missouri. And what is gonna get higher rating? Michigan State-Missouri basketball or Kansas-MSU? Kansa-Indiana or Missouri-Indiana? No brainer.

No reason to take Missouri if you can get Kansas. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Big Ten invites Kansas. And no doubt that Kansas would accept.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM

897 posts, read 1,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Kansas makes about 10 million a year from the Big 12. Every team in the Big Ten makes 22 million. That's 12 million reasons.

I look at it like this: a school must bring in enough money so that every school in the Big Ten continues to get at least 22 million. I don't see how Missouri can do that. Kansas basketball will. Add Nebraska, Kansas and Rutgers and the payout could easily jump to 30 million per year per school. That's just TV money. Any tshirt and ticket sales is kept by individual schools.

Plus, the Big Ten has a much better deal with ESPN. Better games times. More games. And better bowls than the Big 12. That puts Kansas in a better spotlight for football.

And, from what I can tell Kansas is better academically than Missouri which is what the University presidents in the Big Ten are looking at. If I were Kansas I would jump in a heart beat. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Especially if the Big Ten gets Nebraska or Texas. The Big 12 could very well fall apart when/if that happens.

Any population differences between Missouri and Kansas are nullified by Kansas basketball. Big Ten Network is already in St Louis. Kansas would deliver K.C. as much as Missouri. And what is gonna get higher rating? Michigan State-Missouri basketball or Kansas-MSU? Kansa-Indiana or Missouri-Indiana? No brainer.

No reason to take Missouri if you can get Kansas. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Big Ten invites Kansas. And no doubt that Kansas would accept.

I could see the remnants of the Big 12 and the Mountain West after Big 10-Pac 10 and maybe SEC invites to some of it's better teams,merging to form a new(lets say) Western Conference.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:49 PM

2,325 posts, read 3,932,372 times
I thought that the Big Ten only looked at universities from neighboring states. If so, they would have to take Nebraska or Missouri before they would take Kansas.

I think that 16-team conferences are too big, and 14-team ones are very difficult to manage.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
^One would hope they'd do something like. One of the things that makes college sports great is that historically they're about neighbors playing each other and not tv markets. Unfortunately ESPN runs the world and doesn't understand this.

I'm sure Iowa's been in the Big 10 sinde the Hoover administration or some similar length of time, but for me schools on Great Plains don't belong in the Big 10. In my mind its a conference of the Rust Belt or the Great Lakes states. So if you want to keep the Big 10 the Big 10 schools like Nebraska, Rutgers, Missouri, or who have you don't belong there. If the Big 10 wants to offer 4 teams that make sense then in my mind the most logical ones are Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, and one of Cincy, Army, or Syracuse.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:58 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
I agree with the above sentiments, keep it tight knit. Does anyone in Boston care about their Eagles being in the ACC? I mean casual fans (if they have any).

I still believe that the rumored mega-conferences don't hold water, there would be massive restructure and reorganization needed beyond the scope of creating the BCS.

Honestly, after all this they should just take Rutgers, get the conference game and that's it. I still haven't found where Delany said he and the Big 10 was interested in making super conferences, I could be wrong but it's drowned out in all the internet rumors.

In the case of Rutgers? Probably best deal for the Big East overall, they aren't a factor in Basketball which is really what the Big East is a bout. They could just pick up Temple (providing even more interest in the Philly market).

Just the like coach for Pitt Bball raised, how much of a fit is Rutgers in the Big 10. Leaving the location deal aside, it's a state university with AAU membership and has a gradually growing football program (remember not everyone can shoot from worst to first in like 5 years) that seems to get moderate play in New Jersey.

Similar to Pitt Bball, how would it affect recruiting? I don't think there would be a huge effect. It's not like the Bball situation where most of the recruits are primarily interested in playing those big cities in the East. New Jersey would really only TRUELY embrace Rutgers once it hit the big time (they have the Giants-Jets and Yankees-Mets to contend with), and everyone at least has heard of the various bowl games. Continue to build Rutgers and put it in place where it could contend for the "grandaddy of em all" I think more kids would stick around in Jersey to play for em.

In short despite being primarily money grubbing for the Big 10 network, RU should go to the Big 10, they get their championship game and that be it (if they don't get Mizzou) although i still think the best choice for FOOTBALL (read; not money) out of the big east would be Pitt.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I could see the remnants of the Big 12 and the Mountain West after Big 10-Pac 10 and maybe SEC invites to some of it's better teams,merging to form a new(lets say) Western Conference.
I could see that too. If they all go to 14 then I could see something like this:

SEC adds Oklahoma and Okie St
PAC 10 adds Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M and Utah
ACC gets West Virginia and Souht Florida
Big Ten gets Nebraska, Kansas and Rutgers

That is why if I'm a scool like Kansas I'm very interested in the Big Ten or SEC. Not only is it more money, it assures me major conference status if/when the Big 12 falls apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football