Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 05:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

Texas turns down Pac-10; Big 12 schools have framework of deal | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
If Texas is still getting more money and gets their own TV Network the Big 12 will implode within 10 years.

I think Colorado and Nebraska should breathe a sigh of relief to be out of that disaster.

ACC, Big Ten and SEC are the places to be. Stability.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
I will believe this when all the involved universities make a formal announcement. I hope this holds together as the week progresses. As far as stability goes, the Big 12 will have to go to more equal revenue sharing or the next time this new TV contract is about to expire, the conference will implode again. The chaos that's been unfolding over the last several days has highlighted some serious problems in the Big 12 that need to be addressed.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:40 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
UT, A&M both staying in Big 12 Conference | Sports | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Hmm, ioono I was looking forward to the Aggie-Arky game

Old 06-14-2010, 06:43 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
This has all been very interesting to witness. I'm curious to hear about this sudden, mystery TV deal. I highly doubt it could possibly trump an expanded Pac-10 deal with the following markets in the conference: Seattle, Portland, Bay Area, Los Angeles, Denver, Phoenix, Texas. Yet, I hear claims it may rival the SEC's. How is that suddenly possible? You now have only 10 teams, with only the Texas market really being substantial, possibly no championship game, and the possiblity that Texas will eventually form their own TV network leaving the rest to essentially fend for themselves. It had to have come down to this:

1. Texas will still be the driving force/decision maker behind the conference. In the Pac-10, they would have had much less say against Stanford, Cal, USC, UCLA

2. They will be allowed to pursue their own TV deal (not gonna happen in the Pac). Apparently, the Pac-16 deal was in place(as late as this morning), but Beebe made a deal with UT to continue to allow UT to develop own network regardless of this new mystery deal. Possibly as late as early afternoon, UT came to Larry Scott and again asked if they can pursue thier own network and were told no.

3. Academically, they are now the top school. They would have been 5th or 6th (including Colorado) in the Pac-10.

4. They will now possibly not have to play a conference championship game (something Brown and Stoops apparently do not like)

5. Ready for this (yes, I'm a Pac-10 homer)?, there will continue to be less competition in the new "Big 12 (only Oklahoma)." No USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, and shockingly Stanford now.

I'll be very interested to see how this will benefit teams like Tech, Okie State and to a lesser extent OU. Yes, they may make more money through the new TV deal (again I can't believe they'd make more than a super-conference). Yes, they will be able to stay in the Big 12, but if Texas rolls out a new TV deal, how long will it be until that new mystery deal reverts back to a much more limited share/coverage/revenue without possible Texas games and the lack of the bigger tv markets (Lubbock, Stillwater, Waco are small markets).

Just some thoughts.

Last edited by Acuda; 06-14-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football