Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 12:31 PM

115 posts, read 266,243 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering are 2-years no longer a foot in the door getter? LOL (And trust before anyone says it, I take in to account Economy) But seriously, is it just about obtaining Bachelor's and above with experience? I currently hold a 2-year network systems administration degree that I finished over 2 years ago.

And really feel like I am in the, (if you don't use-you lose it phase..) So I guess 2 year degree were good to have in the early 90's and before.. Just my take on it.. I would like hear some positive success stories from folks who have 2 year degree's and achieved the actual network admin position(whether in the past or present)..

True Story: About 2 years ago, I was working at this company and I asked this guy who was the head in the Networking department downstairs from the company I work for. I said, Oh good opportunity to ask someone who is in the field. So I asked him how did he get his foot in the door as a Network Admin, before he became head in 3 years. He said, well I don't have a degree, everything was self taught, when I became an Admin. I was like say what. So he goes on to tell me that we he just hired someone who had a two year degree in networking. He said, he didn't have much experience tho' so I have him to do the simple things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,130,303 times
Sometimes with hard work and experience you just get lucky. Some jobs are like that. For example I know of a lady who started working for the city 20 years ago in the finance dept. Now she is an accountant but she never finished college. She never took an accounting class just worked her way up.
She now makes about $60K.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,497,497 times
It's very hard in today's market to place a value on the paper whether it is a 2 year, 4 year or higher degree. HR departments seem to have lead the charge toward requiring degrees to the point where even $30k per year entry level jobs are asking for 4 year degrees. This may have something to do with the value that HR folks seem to place on their own college experiences.

However, I have never looked at someone's degree as anything more than an accomplishment. Of course if we are talking about doctors and scientists, the degree certainly matters as it is proof of knowledge, but in general business the degree while required (seemingly for no reason) has little bearing on an individuals ability to do most jobs.

So, I think it is better to have it than not have it, as it can open doors and the higher the level the better. However, experience especially in technical fields like IT is far more important than any degree. One example was a company I used to work for was started and run by folks with masters level educations from impressive schools. Despite the fact these folks knew very little about running a business, they were insistent that everyone hired have at least a bachelor's degree. I had to turn down an extremely qualified applicant for a management position because they didn't have a degree, just 30 year of experience in the field. You can imagine where this company has ended up.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Definitely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
So, I think it is better to have it than not have it, as it can open doors and the higher the level the better. However, experience especially in technical fields like IT is far more important than any degree.

Definitely, I wish I would have known the latter 4 years ago now. So all I got now is the debt and not the job to pay it back. So I guess the older you get the more we are suppose to get wiser. LOL I should have followed my first mind and went to UMKC (where my nephew got his PH D) ,and kept my first plan for a Bachelor's in Computer Science in my early 20's, now I am 2 away from 40.

And unfortunately Devry ate up all of my financial aid. And I can't lie that didn't just come from Devry eating it up(they just at the rest), that is from going to those other little tinky side schools(Wright Business School, Brown Mackie, Longview Community College, Penn Valley Community College), you get the picture. That's why I preach to my teenagers get in the best grades in HS as you can, so that you can get awarded scholarships, to help out. Which I just found out from my 15 year old son that he wants to go into the Marines, not my fortae' at his age, but will support him in whatever he wants to do in life that's positive.. My daughter 13, is on a whole another track. God help her...

Old 06-09-2010, 05:01 PM

26,595 posts, read 26,486,330 times
You're at a much greater advantage in the job market than than those who have a high school diploma. Be proud of yourself. If you want to pursue your Bachelor's later, you can always do so. In this economy and with all the cutbacks at colleges and universities, having that Associate's degree is an advantage. Many students are now forced to take take 3, 4 and 5 years to complete that degree.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Thanks everyone..

Thanks everyone for responding with such encouragement. Because when I completed the degree 2 years ago; I was truly happy because, I achieved everything in school that I wanted like; getting nothing but A's and B's all the way through, staying on the Dean's List, and graduating Magna ***-Laude. So I will always be grateful for that part in achieving a goal. Something I never did in HS, because I was too busy in the streets, I guess I could say in my thuggin' years. So thanks again for everyone's wise and encouraging words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities