Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:23 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Just a couple random questions for whatever reason.

What did you major in?
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)?
What college did you go to?
And finally
What was your first job after graduation?
English/Liberal Arts; State College, Associate Editor of a book company that published books on collectibles.

Later, when non-specialized jobs dried up: a Masters in Urban and Regional Planning at another state college, and jobs in the public sector, followed by the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM

191 posts, read 945,825 times
What did you major in? Information Technology
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BS
What college did you go to? Private, 4 year college in NY
What was your first job after graduation? Software developer for a large financial company

Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
What did you major in? Information Systems and Operations Management
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BS
What college did you go to? University of Maryland
What was your first job after graduation? Systems Integration consultant for a big-name IT consulting firm.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
What did you major in? English (literature), then Library & Information Science.
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BA and MLIS (Master of Library & Information Science)
What college did you go to? University of Oregon and University of the Pacific undergrad, San Jose State University for grad school.
And finally
What was your first job after graduation? After college graduation, I actually worked at a pet store... after completing the Master's degree, I was quickly hired as a Teen Services Librarian for a public library.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default What did you major in?

Quote:

What did you major in?
General Science
Quote:
BS (appropriately enough)
Quote:
A medium size state university.
Quote:
And finally
Military service (Vietnam era)

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,708 times
Default About community colleges...Just saying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Community college isn't good for everyone. In the fall, I am going to be taking 300 level classes as a sophomore. Can't take 300 level classes at a community college. I would just end up being behind if I started out at community college.
You're right that Community Colleges (CC) are not for everyone, but many good students don't consider it when it can be a great option for them. I completely agree with the writer that mentioned this point. I started college at a CC. Sure, you can't take 300 level classes at CC, but you don't have to be behind. Many students end up taking 100 and 200 level classes in their junior and senior year anyway, if they take their 300 level classes early. You can get all the lower-division out the way at a CC and go on to a good school. I know this because: 1) I was a transfer advisor for 3 years, and 2) I teach lower and upper-division college courses at a major university.

I am got BA in exactly 4 years with no summer school or winter sessions needed (which is rare these days!). I now have an MA and I am in a PhD student at a top university...I'll have my PhD before I am 30 (and that's with a 3 year break in between)...just saying CC can be a good option for people. I saved a bunch! And no one cares I went to CC first.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,531,662 times
Major: Which one, LOL? In high school, I went to college part time. Got an AS in Physics. It was a CC. In college (4-year), went to Georgia Tech for degrees in ECE and Econ. Got MA in Econ from Emory and currently getting MS in ECE at GT. I'm only 22. The AS help with many pre-reqs for both degrees.
First Job: Quantitative/computational financial analyst at Lehman Bros. Saved a ton of cash, went back to school (MS ECE and MA Econ). Was thinking "did I make the right choice? I could have moved up in the company..." Yeah, I definitely made the right call as it was only months before the collapse.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Very interesting question.

I went to college believing I would become a physicist, without knowing what a physicist did. I thought a phycisist was a person called "Doctor" at scientific conferences. (It wasn't until ten years later that I saw what they really do, when I was visiting a university in France with some student acquaintances and saw PhDs sitting the floor of a laboratory at 11 pm trying to repair a broken centrifuge with a Swiss army knife.)

However, early in my second year of college, the Soviets put up Sputnik*, and I observed the feral way the Americans shifted their entire psyche to one emphasizing lashing out at someone who dared to one-up us, and I quickly decided that I would not be a pawn in that game, so I started wandering aimlessly through the catalog looking for a new major. After another year of free electives, my university flunked out. It failed to make its form of education seem relevant to me. That was LSU-Baton Rouge.

I went on from there to become a disc jockey, but owing in part to my sobriety and the modicum of education I did have, I never became as powerful or influential as Glenn Beck.
-----------
* That was a particularly disastrous day for American narcissism. Lew Burdette, pitching for a backwater beer town, had just humiliated the mighty Yankees, challenging New York City's undisputed birth-right to consecutive championships, and he would go on to beat them twice more, allowing them no runs in 24 innings.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-01-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Quote:

What did you major in?
And finally
My B.A. was in International Relations and a combined Sociology/Social Anthropology (a second major subject) and was done outside the USA. My first job after graduating was a temporary one working for British Airways as the assistant to the local office sales manager (while the regular assistant was on maternity leave).

My M.A. was in Education/TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) from NYU. When I graduated I continued working at the same full time job that I was doing while I was going to school as I was considering relocating at that time.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default Some time ago

What did you major in? Engineering (generic) and Business (generic)
What kind of degrees did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BS + MS + MBA
What colleges did you go to? RPI, RPI, Babson
What was your first job after graduation? Programmer at MIT/Lincoln Lab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities