Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD_Rlz View Post
I don't want to learn a foreign language because, quite frankly, they bore me. I just finished taking French 2 this year, and I hated it. Only took two years of it to get into a university. I honestly could not stand that class. Not to mention, I'm really bad at it. lol. Got a C in the class.

However, I do love finance and everything about it. I just want to double major so I can be pretty competitive.
A double major per se means squat with respect to competitiveness. Especially one degree with two majors. Two different degrees, now that can be useful, depending on what the degrees are. Better to finish one major a year early, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM

83 posts, read 279,903 times
Quote:
Hi, I need some advice on what to double major in. I already know that I want to major in finance, but what else should I major in? I'm trying to decide between economics, math and accounting. I figure that if I say, double major in finance and economics, I'll minor in math and accounting, if that's possible. So, what do you think should be my other major and my two minors?
Why not "single major" and focus all that saved effort into getting the highest grades you can? Not only will you have far better job opportunities, but graduate schools (in the form of an MBA or JD) really don't care about your double major - they care about your GPA and entrance exam scores.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
I don't want to learn a foreign language because, quite frankly, they bore me. I just finished taking French 2 this year, and I hated it. Only took two years of it to get into a university. I honestly could not stand that class. Not to mention, I'm really bad at it. lol. Got a C in the class.

However, I do love finance and everything about it. I just want to double major so I can be pretty competitive.
I'm speaking as a math/foreign language hybrid. It's boring to LEARN a foreign language. It's really cool and useful to be able to speak one. Mathematics is difficult, but it is beautiful and useful. They are both building blocks to a liberal education.

Knowing a foreign language is an important part of a professional repertoire. Having a major or minor in a foreign language on your transcript can make you more attractive to large, multinational employers. As you have already begun with French, you may consider that continuing to build on that could lead you to an interesting job with one of the major French corporations such as EADS/Airbus, LVMH (the luxury goods conglomerate), or the media giant Vivendi.

College foreign language instruction is often more satisfying for a number of reasons, one of which is the immediate availability of study abroad programs.

In my mind, math and foreign language are complementary--math is the language of the universe, while human language is the means by which we communicate about the universe. I've always been drawn to the balance.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Hi, I need some advice on what to double major in. I already know that I want to major in finance, but what else should I major in? I'm trying to decide between economics, math and accounting. I figure that if I say, double major in finance and economics, I'll minor in math and accounting, if that's possible. So, what do you think should be my other major and my two minors?
Accounting is more useful than finance. I would make sure I could sit for the CPA exam, it will open many more doors for you in the future.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
What is your ultimate career goal?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:

What would ultimately make you competitive is actual experience. All the degrees in the world cannot replace the value of a strategic internship within the field that you want to work in.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:52 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Whatever you do, don't major in math! I have a math degree, and it's useless. All the jobs I've worked in, or have located as available, involve doing retarded work no different than accounting. At least with accounting you have more opportunities.

One of my jobs was to count and scan boxes in the middle of the night, and my supervisor had a double major in math and biology (maybe that's why she was the supervisor, since I had only one college degree). Our performance was pretty good, since being mathematicians, we can count fast. Gee, I wonder how many boxes are on this pallet, and they're stacked very neatly in a 2x3x5 stack, um, 30? .

Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Whatever you do, don't major in math! I have a math degree, and it's useless. All the jobs I've worked in, or have located as available, involve doing retarded work no different than accounting. At least with accounting you have more opportunities.

One of my jobs was to count and scan boxes in the middle of the night, and my supervisor had a double major in math and biology (maybe that's why she was the supervisor, since I had only one college degree). Our performance was pretty good, since being mathematicians, we can count fast. Gee, I wonder how many boxes are on this pallet, and they're stacked very neatly in a 2x3x5 stack, um, 30? .
Majoring in math makes you overqualified for working in a warehouse? Is this supposed to be some great discovery?

If you want to "use" your math degree, then get your Ph. D. and work in academia. But you chose not to do that, so I don't really know why you're surprised that your degree is of no "use" in the "real world."

Old 07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Majoring in math makes you overqualified for working in a warehouse? Is this supposed to be some great discovery?

If you want to "use" your math degree, then get your Ph. D. and work in academia. But you chose not to do that, so I don't really know why you're surprised that your degree is of no "use" in the "real world."
I have no intention of going to school again, or working in academia. If a college degree isn't enough, then I'll burn it and apply my high school diploma to work in a warehouse.

The reason I'm surprised that my math degree is of no use in the real world is because that's not what I was told when I was going to school. While I can't read minds or see into the future, I can tell people who have this decision to make, not to make the same mistake I did.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
If your first major is Finance, then as others have said, a second in Math won't really "fill out" your resume much; people will think of it as "all a bunch of numbers". If you're good at Math, take practical Math courses such as Actuarial Science, Statistics/Probability, or Numerical Analysis. Completing a math major involves a LOT of Calculus which, beyond the basics, isn't really used in many professions outside of Engineering. Stat or Numerical Analysis might come in handy in para-financial careers.

Frankly, many employers get dozens of resumes with similar degrees; you could make yourself stand out by getting your second major in something completely different from Finance, that you are good at and find interesting, such as something in the Huminities. Not every class you take in college has to (or should) be directly applicable to the 8 hours you'll spend at work; there is value in liberal arts (though Lib Arts itself should be supplemented by a practical field!), so much so that many universities are instituting "Masters in Liberal Studies" that have no real practical value, but serve to "huminize" or "flesh out" all of those dry business/engineering majors.

Being well-rounded is the best of all to most employers. Not that you should not concentrate on a practical career, but if you're going to double-major, I'd say pick one for a career (supplemented by other practical courses, see above), and one that you enjoy, preferably not too similar to the first (can boost your GPA as well). Just for an example, a Finance/English major who also had Math and Accounting courses in there would stand out more to me than a Finance/Math major with nothing beyond the requirements for humanities. Using both sides of your brain is more and more seen as a benefit in today's economy.

Taking a programming class or two is certainly very useful in this day and age, but you can always do that at a community college in your spare time; for a resume, it's experience, not classes, that matter in programming. They'd rather have a high-school grad who taught himself programming and has been working in it for 2 years than someone with 4-5 college classes in it, usually.

I don't have children, but if I did, my advice to them would be to get one major in something you're sure you can get a job in, and one in something you love, whether practical or not. While you do need practical skills to get that first job, once you land in finance, among dozens of others with the same degree, it will be what OTHER skills you bring to the table that set you apart from the other people.

BTW, I have two Bachelor's degrees (one a double major, one a single major/double minor) and a Masters (major/minor) and my fields of study have run the gamut from "practical but I hate it" to "I love it but it's useless in the working world". I currently work as a data analyst where I am not the most crackerjack programmer on staff, but I am lauded through the organization for my analytical ("thinking") skills about what the data says once it is retrieved.

Good luck--and bear in mind that once you get to college, you might scrap it all and become an Art major--college is like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities