Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
One can obtain open source equivalents of Microsoft/Adobe, etc. software products for a fraction of the price with open source.
There is no open source alternative to Adobe's flagship products and businesses are still using Microsoft Office over things like Open Office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:50 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
and businesses are still using Microsoft Office over things like Open Office.
The doesn't mean Open Office isn't a threat. They (OO.o) have a handsome (and growing) market share and a super-long list of notable/large-scale users. A number of fine corporations (IBM, Oracle, Sun, Novell, etc.) have embraced open source and it will continue to change the way software is developed. Open Source is also spreading like wildfire in the developing world.

IMHO, cloud computing and open source are two upcoming mammoth changes that are going to sweep the industry entirely.

I'm not necessarily saying that CS isn't lucrative, just giving something to consider/to think about.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 06-23-2010 at 12:59 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
The doesn't mean Open Office isn't a threat. They have a handsome (and growing) market share and a super-long list of notable/large-scale users.
Its not a threat, desktop office software is the past. Microsoft is going to provide a basic version of office for free via its cloud environment.

The open source community is decades behind in office/productivity software, its not a threat to anybody. The most successful open source products (apache, linux, etc) are software that are primarily used by developers.

Regardless, computer science goes well beyond developing things like Microsoft Office which are for the most part theoretically uninteresting.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 AM

867 posts, read 2,976,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Regardless, computer science goes well beyond developing things like Microsoft Office which are for the most part theoretically uninteresting.
I know that as my dad is a computer scientist for an energy firm (he programs oilfield drilling equipment). Mentioned in the my original post in this thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 AM

436 posts, read 755,523 times
An EECS degree is usually much harder to obtain than a CS.

I work in the IT field, and personally, I feel that IT companies should be hiring engineering students. Too many idiots in the field.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 AM

343 posts, read 1,313,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
An EECS degree is usually much harder to obtain than a CS.

I work in the IT field, and personally, I feel that IT companies should be hiring engineering students. Too many idiots in the field.
I agree too.

The poster can ask her son to go for EE. As with EE you have a broader scope of options later in life. You could choose higher studies or you could work in EE stream jobs or go on too CS jobs too. With CS, you can't do much except be stuck in it unless you plan to get a master's degree in some other major and move on.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
I would lean towards a BSEE. CS is ok. You should be able to find a job with both, but EE is a great degree to get. I am a ME, but wish I had the skills, or even the desire, to have gotten an EE.

What about a computer engineering degree? I think that combines alot of CS and EE, but it has been a while since I have looked at the curriculum.

I agree with another poster about looking into two degrees. You could get a double BS. Or maybe stick with EE and get a masters in engineering something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Quick question for you:

I have some electrical engineering classes under my belt, but never finished. I was contemplating going back until I heard horror stories of unemployed engineers fighting over scraps while their jobs are sent overseas. Also, I am hearing that the schooling is grueling (especially in the junior and senior years) and while the starting pay is good, there is a ceiling that you hit and I am reading about many disgrunted engineers who whine that they topped out at $65,000 and will never earn anything more than that. They all seem to think they should have gotten a business degree instead. The thought of grinding it out 60 hours a week for $60,000 a year sounds like a pretty bleak existence to me.

What is your say on all of this stuff?
Topping out at 65K is not bad when you compare it to what other fields may top out at. And even if others jobs topped out the same it probably took them 20 years to get there. But in truth, if you have a BSEE or BSME, and only make 65k, you must have less than 5 years xp, or have no desire to relocate or try a different field. I am in automotive and notice that most engineers with no xp start in the 50's. At my current company some of the engineers make 90k and beyond. I never work over 45 hours. Now, there are engineering fields in which 65k is well paid. It is usually civil or structural. But there is money to be made there as well.

We used to joke that anyone with a business degree was an engineering dropout that couldn't hack the math Honestly, I sucked at math, but still got through. I struggled more with my basic EE courses. Getting a business degree used to be a good alternative, but that was before the economy took a dump. Plus, I hear everyone say a graduate degree is a must with a business degree. I know too many business degree holders with 10 + years making 50k.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
I would say the EE degree. If the engineering program is accredited by the ABET, than it is much easier to gauge the rigor and employability of the degree. CS doesn't really have this going on. Sometimes the CS degree is affilitated with the engineering department; sometimes it is in a different department. My goodness, at my alma mater, the CS department was in the college of arts & sciences (it was heavily math based) until the year 2002 or so!

But this also means that the EE degree will be a bit tougher. Your son can expect to take a hefty dose of math and science classes before he gets deep into his engineering classes. Whereas with CS majors, they don't have such stringent pre-requisites, leading them to get into their major sooner (in some cases). With some students this matters....with others it doesn't. It depends on what makes your son tick.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 PM

76 posts, read 274,710 times
I think that your son should try a mixture of degree specific classes from each major.

After finishing about 4 classes of my CS degree, I could already see I wouldn't like it. So, I'm now switched to an EE degree and hoping something grabs my attention when I start it next semester.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 5,418 times
dear sir,plz kindly reply,which is better for anyone,enjinering or doing honours in maths,physics or chemistry.i m very confused,plz kindly reply.plz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities