Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No kidding! I taught high school math and the kids often came to me with ideas they had to *unlearn* because they had been told things that were simply not true. When I changed my focus to preschool to try to get math concepts into the younger kids, I found that so many preK teachers were innumerate that it was difficult to teach them to get the ideas and concepts.

One example was the fact that they often taught that a square was unique and could not be a rectangle. If we can teach preschoolers that farm animals are still animals, I do not see why we cannot teach them that squares are a special kind of rectangle.

That's just one example and not even the most important one, but it is a pet peeve of mine because all the *shape* songs that are used get it wrong. In high school geometry when I tried to teach classifying shapes, it was hard to get the kids to believe me because it was so ingrained that a rectangle had to have two long and two short sides.
Here is a good example of the need to keep it simple in lower grades while maturity and confidence building is in progress. If the focus is in getting the correct answer in the easiest way possible at the youngest age (instead of giving 5 different ways to arrive at a simple subtraction answer in hopes of gaining "deep understanding") less kids would be frustrated into avoiding anything math related (for example) to begin with IMHO.

Who really learns to enjoy anything that they can rarely seem to get right? It stands to reason that enjoying what they are doing at very young ages encourages them to challenge themselves. Get the wrong answer nearly everytime and think about how long it would take to become discouraged enough to give up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
I love volunteering at animal shelters/vets. I would love to be a vet tech, just can't find a way into the school or to pass even basic college math.
Hire a math tutor so you can pass the test. It will be money well spent. A lot of college students tutor for extra $.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I wasn't referring to the workplace; I was responding to what the OP said about sp ed resources in community colleges or adult education schools. And I disagree that anyone, especially someone who appears to have made as much effort as this person has, cannot master basic math skills with the right resources.

And in regard to teaching, I disagree: in many states, one needs to pass a math competency test just to get a high school diploma, never mind what a college degree would require.
There's always teaching in private schools, which often don't require a degree in teaching or a certificate. Of course those that don't, don't pay much either.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:37 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
There's been a lot of discussion about OP becoming a teacher. OP didn't ask how to become a teacher. OP wants a career working with animals.

Or are you all making a statement about today's children?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:38 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Here's another idea:

Traveling petting zoo/pony rides. Get together some animals and take them to school fairs, street fairs, summer camps, etc. Let the littlest kids pet the animals; do some teaching about animals for the older ones. If you don't have one, get a pig. I've read of school principals who promise to kiss a pig if the kids read a certain number of books. (You won't get much money for the school, but you'd get some publicity for your business.)

I know someone who made a living doing this. It probably works best with city kids who don't already have their own animals.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 1,947 times
First, let me say that while I can't personally relate to your situation (I'm a math teacher who loves math ) I know what you're going through, as I have many students who hate math and can't do a whole lot of it.

I'd like to recommend you do NOT become a teacher. It may seem like you don't need math for subjects such as art, social studies, etc. but in reality, you need a good grasp on it. Especially for younger grades, that's when you teach the fundamentals and IMO, those are some of the most important years in a child's education.

Some jobs that came to mind are (seeing that you like animals):
*Dog trainer
*Pet store worker- if you can count money and a can use a calculator, I think this would work out.
*Humane society worker
*Dog groomer
*Writer who writes about animals

GOOD LUCK!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
I love volunteering at animal shelters/vets. But, there are only two shelters around here. One, won't take any volunteers, "liability" ya know. (Even though the place was staffed with teens and one adult. The other one is a hell hole, the place is run by a family of obese slobs whose main goal in life is to make others miserable. They are verbally abusive and they treat the dogs and cats like ****. They dump bleach into runs with dogs in them, use regular dish soap and a filthy sponge to clean litter pans/bowls/mats all in the same sink. The kittens are crammed into tiny cages in an overheated room where all they do is meow sadly all day, no human interaction at all. All the adult cats are allowed to run free in a room, and when I worked there last fall, they all had "colds" so they couldn't be adopted, even though they appeared healthy, ie: normal bowl movements, healthy appetite,no runny noses, etc. All they had me do was fold newspapers into little cubes, just so they could fit into smaller boxes. Of the three vets, one is a grade a a-hole, the man has a God complex bigger then a TV preacher, all I did was stand around and watch him do stuff, wasn't allowed do help/clean/walk dogs. Closest to me doesn't allow volunteers for some reason, another one is too far away and over staffed. I've gone to all sorts of tutoring places, Slyvain parred me up with this girl from a near by college, and she helped me along with some younger kids. She was constantly talking to me like I was a toddler, she would even try and write my name for me! After awhile I got a letter stating "they couldn't help me". I was A's in every thing but math, so I was fair game to teachers who don't believe in Learning disabilities. For twelve years I have:
  • Been put in Sp Ed classes and treated like I was too stupid to live.
  • In other Sp ed classes me, and the other 5 people, where treated like we didn't exist, teachers talked about us to other teachers, in front of US. IE: "I hope by the time Sally's 12, she can tie her shoes." "How is Billy even in this grade!?".
  • I've had teachers tell me if I was any stupider, they have to water me.
  • Been told it's my fault, I'm making it up, it's all in my head.
  • Had an aid follow me around in the 6th grade, and basically turn my life into a living hell, talking LOUDLY to me like I was mentally handicapped. "WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET A DRINK/GO POTTY/SIT OVER THERE?" and my parents wondered why I had no friends in that grade.
We took fake college entrance exams, I got three answers right on the math portion. I got one answer right on the TAKS exit exam (TX standardized test.). I would love to be a vet tech, just can't find a way into the school or to pass even basic college math.
How would you be at languages? Or something else in the humanities?

You are obviously NOT stupid.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:40 PM

571 posts, read 943,412 times
Even if you get a liberal arts degree, I've seen people really sell themselves, get internships, & do better than they did without a degree. Sometimes, just showing that you are educated, resourceful, creative, and able to spell the company's name is a huge plus for employers. I'd rather hire an English major with 3 years of internships & several jobs than a Marketing major with nothing but a degree.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Hmm, prostitution, um drug dealing.. Wait, you have to count the money. Acting! You can be an extra. Um, you can also um...be a lifeguard or um if you know how to swim you can join the coast guard and become a rescue swimmer.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Sometimes, just showing that you are resourceful, creative, and able to spell the company's name is a huge plus for employers...
Our daughter has a childhood friend who has a learning disability. She never attended college. She's in sales and makes more than any of her friends, including those with bachelor's and master's degrees. She DOES have a very dynamic personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities