Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times

Advertisements

I have a 4 year math degree that I refuse to display, because it's useless.

This morning I finished framing my high school diploma over the fireplace, and I was thinking "wow, this diploma was free, and I'm proud to display it, yet the $40,000 diploma is in a box... how ridiculous".

Of course, high school is free because it's 100% taxpayer-subsidized. The University of Texas system is partially subsidized for in-state residents. 4 years of public school costs $30,000 for one student.

I don't know what the university tax subsidy is, that when added to the $40,000 of my own money I blew, would be the total. Does anyone know what the total cost is for a 4 year degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
well with a Math Degree, You can use it for computer Pgm jobs, Jobs that require Logical thinking, Process controls.

The cost of the 'degree' Take the 'out of state' cost for it, add about 20-25% for Sunk cost in the college, (cost of buildings, land, Overhead that is paid for by others) that are not 'billed' back

Old 06-25-2010, 12:21 PM

aha, I found it

THECB - Reports/Publications

$27,500 per year... over 100 grand!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
Well, my degree cost me $8k for all four years (including all housing and food).

My college owned the town's water rights and had some pretty hefty endowments, so the townspeople and Carl Sagan paid the other $192,000 for me. Thanks guys!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 PM

571 posts, read 943,412 times
its useless? What did you expect people to camp out on the lawn waiting to interview you?

You have a college degree! You're more educated/privileged than 80% of people in the US. Go out & use it to your advantage.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
its useless? What did you expect people to camp out on the lawn waiting to interview you?

You have a college degree! You're more educated/privileged than 80% of people in the US. Go out & use it to your advantage.
That's what I've been trying to do since day one. I've been either looking for work (as I am at the moment), or working at a crappy job. I should have majored in playing tetris -- it would have been slightly more practical, and whole lot more fun.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:51 PM

571 posts, read 943,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
That's what I've been trying to do since day one. I've been either looking for work (as I am at the moment), or working at a crappy job. I should have majored in playing tetris -- it would have been slightly more practical, and whole lot more fun.
Well, have you interned anywhere? Maybe we can help if you tell us more? Where have you been looking?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Well, have you interned anywhere? Maybe we can help if you tell us more? Where have you been looking?
just about anywhere, I don't care

Internships are for college students, and that was 14 years ago for me.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
A degree in Mathematics (like many things) does not have a direct career path, that does not make it useless in any sense.

If you were actually interested in Mathematics you would never say things like this, I suppose this is what happens when people incorrectly perceive a degree as a meal ticket.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:46 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Math degree? Totally useless. Employers want people with SKILLS. What skills does a math degree give you? None that an employer wants! I have an AA degree in accounting and thats sure as heck what I learned. The most important thing to get: skills that employers are willing to pay for. For me, that turns out to be stuff like quickbooks, tax prep skills (ie. CTEC license or CPA), excel, and auditing skills (ie. CPA). Of course, now that I am going for my BA I know exactly what employers want and I am taking full advantage of that knowledge!

As far as the total cost of college, its pretty high.

tuition
books
room & board (if living on your own)
food
Misc fees (parking permits, calculator etc.)

also another expense most people don't account for: opportunity cost. If you are putting so much time into school then that means you can't work full time. You have to account for that cost as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities