Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I took a year out of school to deal with financial issues. They told me then that if I withdrew completly, the odds were 90% I'd never come back. I'm one of the few who did. Of course I had a full paid scholarship waiting for me and the school arranged for a year long co-op job, which were huge plusses towards helping me go back.

If she does not go now, she will most likely never go. She has a baby to think about now and that baby's future. This isn't about doing what is easy.
The school has an ulterior motive to say that. They want your tuition money now...not later! I don't have kids; but I dropped out of college and came back 8 years later. In the department where I work (education...at a public state university)...there are quite a few students who are in the same boat (in their late 20s early 30s...back in college).

Also working in a university I see how many people have to drop out AND lose their money because of bad planning and not taking family issues into consideration. We have not 1 but 2 pregnant women who were slated to do an internship for credit over the summer and dropped out. But they still had to pay for the credits.

Only these people know how much they can handle; and it is ultimately their call. I just call it as I see it...day in and day out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I had a good friend in college who was pregnant. She had her (full term) baby a week after finals in the Spring.

She carried her own books, trudged up and down stairs, argued with the professors (Lol). What struck me about her was that she was both physically and mentally strong. She also got great grades. I admired her enormously. I always figure where there's a will there's a way.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
.... CCs usually have daycare, ...
No, not all do - even those with Early Childhood Ed programs.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:34 AM

354 posts, read 712,164 times
Congratulations on the new addition to your family. Of course you would like to see her continue/begin college life as normal, interacting with profs., friends, etc. The reality, however, is that she is not your normal, typical college freshman, and will unfortunately, need some modifications to her college experience, seeing as she has a newborn. Online courses for the first year sound like a good idea, followed by regular courses the next year, once the baby is not a newborn. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 PM

299 posts, read 903,565 times
What she should have done was worry about getting through college, get established in her career, and THEN worry about having kids.

Denial-It's not a river in Egypt!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
What she should have done was worry about getting through college, get established in her career, and THEN worry about having kids.

That's real practical advice for the current situation.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 AM

354 posts, read 712,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post

That would have been the ideal situation, however, this is not where she's at right now, so the best advice would be advice geared toward her current situation--not would have/could have/should have.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:00 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Obviously it would have made her life far, far easier if she were not having a baby now, but there are also some advantages; while I still think she should go to school now (and not take time off), and try to incorporate at least a few on-campus classes, she has the support of her mother (in terms of daycare, etc.), and assuming she's not working FT and going to school FT she'll enjoy having a more flexible schedule that can be more easily worked around her baby's needs than she would if trying to balance a FT regular job with a new baby. I can't remember the statistics right now, but haven't there also been some studies showing that for some women having a baby at a younger age is actually a good thing? There's nothing like having a child to support to provide a more focused sense of motivation and encourage thoughtful planning for the future, career-wise and otherwise, and when she graduates she'll be entering the job market with a child in preschool and soon to go into kindergarten. Many of her coworkers will be interrupting their careers to have children (she might too to have any future children, off course) while she'll have that behind her. She sounds like a reasonable and smart woman, obviously has a supportive mother, and while it's not going to be easy going, it can still work out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities