Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:32 PM

713 posts, read 3,437,724 times

Advertisements

Yep start summer class in just a week and am really excited. I debated with myself for weeks on what I wanted to major in and have finally come to a conclusion that I like building computers so have opted into majoring in Electrical Engineering.

Question I would like to ask for those who are in college or been to college is how do you set your schedule for all your classes? For me I am taking 2 classes at a time giving me a break in the middle, so it would be 2 classes then 1 hour break then another 2 classes. I am allowed to take 18 credit hours at a time and am wondering if taking 6 classes is a good idea when you are just starting off?

So many questions so little time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Well I'm speaking as the mom of a college student and recent college grad but they didn't usually have a whole lot of choices in setting their schedules. The first two years they didn't have priority for registration so they grabbed whatever they could, although the intro GE courses offered a little flexability. Later, you will take the classes they need when they were offered, and there usually wasn't much choice in that. My daughter had night classes, morning classes, all over the map classes for her major.

Jump on registration the moment you can, that's your best bet!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the information! Ceece

How should I handle a minor with my major? Would it be wise and if so what minor goes well with a EE degree? Two choices that pop into my head are Computer Science and Chemistry

Old 07-06-2010, 07:37 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
Thanks for the information! Ceece

How should I handle a minor with my major? Would it be wise and if so what minor goes well with a EE degree? Two choices that pop into my head are Computer Science and Chemistry
Oh I'm so out of my league there. I hope someone pops in with advice. Have you talked to a counselor yet? They would know what people have done before with majors/minors and what was the most popular, etc.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,157 times
If you were smart you'd opt out of the racket that is American higher education, stay out of debt and learn a highly sought after skill that will allow you to become more self sufficient. Electrical engineering? And then what? Go work for corporate America that will undercut you and hire an Indian for half your necessary salary to make ends meet. You'd be better off learning how to weld. Sorry but that's the cold hard truth. Remember these words kid! College is a waste of time nowadays.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 PM

299 posts, read 903,343 times
I'm about to start my 5th and final year of college, and I do have to agree that it is somewhat of a racket. With that said, majoring in electrical engineering will make you more marketable than someone who majors in something worthless like philosophy or art.

To answer your first question, scheduling classes will be easier when you first start college than it will be when you are in your upper-division classes. Most gen-ed classes are offered 2 or 3 times a day, so that will give you more flexibility. At my college, M,W,F classes last 50 minutes and T,Th classes last an hour and 20 minutes. I find it a lot easier to stay focused in shorter classes, but sometimes, you have to take longer classes.

For your first year, 18 credit hours would probably be to many. I would sign up for 12 in the first semester, and maybe increase your class load to 14 or 15 in your 2nd semester. The most I've ever taken was 16, and it was quite a challenge.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2010, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the information goyanks57 I for one do not see college as a waste and value higher education over any skill, before I was out of high school I posted in the Canada forum saying if welding was good up there since I planned on being a boilermaker. Well since then I did my research and found that money wise, a degree is the way to go.

To my question, I will then just stick with my 4 classes at the moment. Also did you do any internships goyanks57? I always wondered how you would do an internships when you still had classes to take since a lot of the internships posted at my college site are from around the US and even overseas? Again, thanks for all the information

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Don't over schedule yourself your first semester, 4 classes should be plenty your first semester--especially if you are going into EE you will probably have at least one lab. On average I would say that most college students take 2 classes/day and usually classes are offered either on an every other day basis on a 6 day cycle or on a M,W,F or T, TH rotation. The college I attended had a 6 day cycle which was really a nice schedule. For the most part I carried 17-18 credits/semester having 4 classes-2 each day and a lab or a shorter 1 credit class (PE was required and was a 1 credit class, for example).

My oldest heads off to college in August. He has a full day of classes on Monday which includes his biology lab but then has 2 classes every other day except Friday where he has one class. It came down to which classes worked into his schedule more than anything.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the information golfgal

Still need info on internships tho

Old 07-07-2010, 12:02 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
My DS is an engineering student and I have to agree to sticking with 2 classes (or labs) a day unless they are fluff classes like PE. Might not be a bad idea to schedule at least one fluff class to keep you at at least 16 hours, that way if one of the other classes doesn't work out you can drop it and still have the minimum 12 hours a lot of places require to consider you a full time student.
DS was interested in interning but he tells me that it would probably extend the amount of time it takes for him to get his degree (not a bad thing in this economy). I think he still plans on doing it between his third and fourth year because most of his friends that have already graduated tell him it makes getting a job after graduation easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities