Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
What about the people with degrees who are working in retail and doing manual labor jobs?

I wonder if college was worth it for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Difference is they're not necessarily stuck there forever.

/from a person in that position
Yup. When the market turns around for their profession, they'll be eligible to apply for those jobs. The person who didn't go to college at all is going to have a much harder time getting an interview.

Also, I have to wonder how many of the people working retail majored in areas with strong job correlations, and were willing to move to where the work is? I'm sure some did (especially at the height of the recession!), but my friends who have been unable to find work were political science, religious studies, psychology, and a "general studies" majors. My engineering, information systems, accounting, etc friends have had no trouble finding work. Heck, if you're an info sys major who can't find a job and is willing to relocate, contact me. My company is hiring like mad right now to fill technical positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM

24 posts, read 41,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yup. When the market turns around for their profession, they'll be eligible to apply for those jobs. The person who didn't go to college at all is going to have a much harder time getting an interview.

Also, I have to wonder how many of the people working retail majored in areas with strong job correlations, and were willing to move to where the work is? I'm sure some did (especially at the height of the recession!), but my friends who have been unable to find work were political science, religious studies, psychology, and a "general studies" majors. My engineering, information systems, accounting, etc friends have had no trouble finding work. Heck, if you're an info sys major who can't find a job and is willing to relocate, contact me. My company is hiring like mad right now to fill technical positions.
I am an accountant but my original undergrad was in English. People say all the time that you can't do anything with an English degree...that's a load of bull (in my humble opinion). Sure I went back and got the credits necessary for the CPA exam, but I held quality jobs with "just a BA" well before that. Liberal arts degrees are valued in many situations and if you can write a quality thesis dealing with the complexities of literary criticism you can surely write communications pieces in business settings. With my BA I started in corporate communications, then started working on my accounting studies later on...

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
I think people should sue their schools. That is the only way to reduce false advertisement. When the reality between what schools are selling compared to what graduates are receiving is quite different, then, I think they have a case. Not everybody is going to get a shot at the brass ring but every college out there, makes it sound like everybody has a chance. Some 17, 18, 19 year olds aren't entirely aware of what they're getting into; isn't that the reason people aren't allowed to drink until 21 or rent a car until 25?

Last edited by Jay100; 07-19-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM

387 posts, read 532,979 times
Don't bother suing. Students should get together and create consumer report websites. If they felt their education was bad or the advertising was misleading then they have every right to complain. I understand where students come from because it's hard to take a few semesters and then decide to stop after you realize it's a waste of money. A lot of students want to graduate with a degree even if it's a huge gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I think people should sue their schools. That is the only way to cut down on false advertisement. When the reality between what schools are selling compared to what students are receiving is quite different, then, I think they have a case. Not everybody is going to get a shot at the brass ring but every college out there, makes it sound like everybody has a chance. Some 17, 18, 19 year olds aren't entirely aware of what they're getting into--just as people aren't allowed to drink until 21 or rent a car until 25.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM

68 posts, read 201,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Has anyone on here ever thought about suing your college because you can't find a job or because you are making minimum wage.

I know some majors are better than others in terms of finding work, earning a decent living, etc, but I have read about some engineering grads and law school grads who can't find work.

If I went to school to get a Masters in Engineering or a JD and I couldn't find a decent paying job, I would be angry.
All I can say to you is 'Gimme a break.'

Old 07-19-2010, 09:01 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoyalTrust View Post
Don't bother suing. Students should get together and create consumer report websites. If they felt their education was bad or the advertising was misleading then they have every right to complain. I understand where students come from because it's hard to take a few semesters and then decide to stop after you realize it's a waste of money. A lot of students want to graduate with a degree even if it's a huge gamble.
With some degrees and schools, students are better off gambling their tuition money in Vegas.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I wouldnt be suprised if some schools do get heavily sued (and maybe even shut down).

-This generation (gen y, millenials) has endured so much garbage. So many false promises (go to college, go to college, you'll be successful). So much 1/2 information.

In 5-7 years, when the employment pictures really fully matures, people are going to realize, "what a minute!?!? There are 350 law schools around the country churning out X graduates, but the number of law school grads earning more than $40 or $60 k is only this." Colleges can't fool people forever.

-Just wait until economic crisis round 2 or 3. A lot of people are going to want their money back.

The numbers are hideous and very much open to lawsuits. I graduated highschool in 96, how many jobs have been created since then? Very few, if any. But they keep pumping out the college grads, keep pumping out false promises, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:38 PM

24 posts, read 41,525 times
It's hard to make a false advertising claim, especially in this situation. The idea that college guarantees a good job is a function of things much more complex than college advertising gimmicks:

First of all, the whole mythical equation "college degree = great job = great life" is not generated by colleges so much as it is by parents, the media, and other societal forces. How colleges play up this equation is not universal: some colleges provide actual raw statistics while others may show pictures of successful, happy people with college diplomas in their hands. As with anything else, marketing is just marketing; the consumer can do the research and obtain the facts to ameliorate the effects and desires created by slick marketing ploys.

Second, on the other side of the equation there is the assumption that a great job with great pay is the key to happiness. The problem with this assumption is that there is no universal definition of a great job, and there is no assurance that great pay will bring happiness. I am sure there are well-paid managers who lead miserable lives and underpaid bus drivers who are happy out there in the world.

Third, this mythical equation is only part of the problem. Our society has misplaced values when it comes to many occupations; we have devalued jobs that are truly valuable to society because they appear "dirty" or "blue-collar". As such society has played a big part in pushing people away from these types of occupations and creating the idea that everyone needs to go to college. In truth, telephone lineman, mechanics and plumbers should be celebrated as much as other occupations are because they provide value to society. Trade schools should be promoted as a viable and worthwhile alternative to college degrees.

There are many more reasons why there is no direct correlation between college degrees, great jobs, and happiness. It is much more complex than advertising issues. In education, as with any other product or service, it's caveat emptor. Educate yourself on what you are buying and you won't go wrong (or at least you will minimize the chance of it).

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
What ever happened to just going to college to become better educated?

Old 07-20-2010, 01:42 AM

610 posts, read 3,015,655 times
I have come to the conclusion that college is a joke, period.

Unless someone has a desire to go to school to become a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, or maybe nurse, college is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities