U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM

591 posts, read 1,793,178 times

Advertisements

I was driving down the road today and I saw a billboard that had an advertisement for ECPI College of Technology's Zero to Bachelor's in 2.5 program.

I had to pull off the side of the road and park my car because I was laughing so hard.

In 2.5 years you can go from having zero debt to having 50K worth of debt with a worthless degree making minimum wage...hahahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 AM

917 posts, read 1,748,212 times
Well, in 2.5 years I had completed all the requirements for my major and all my gen ed classes and was only a few credits shy of the required credits for graduation- I didn't have any requirements left to fulfil, I just needed to take some fluff classes to have the required number of classes. Of course, my scholarship covered me for four years and I decided to complete a second major and minor, but I theoretically could have graduated in 2.5 years from a great school if I'd taken some extra PE classes.

It's not impossible, it just depends on what the school's requirements are and what the course load is.

Now, whether anyone thinks a diploma from this school is worth the paper it's written on is another story . . .

Old 07-19-2010, 10:55 AM

536 posts, read 1,158,715 times
Yeah, 2.5 is not that big of deal depending on the degree. I was looking into accelerated programs after I had completed my Associates degree (which only took 18 months). Would have only taken another 18. If I had a more relevent associates degree I could have gotten my 4 year even quicker. Value/debt is another story

There are students that do double BS degrees in 4 years. If you could get the classes scheduled, and are crazy, you could do a BS in 2.5. Even my school had a semester in summer, so 2.5 years is ~7 semesters. So that is roughly 18/19 credits per semester. So a full time student can take 17/semester during the day (not unusual), and take a blow-off class or two at night. Stupid/crazy, but it could theoretically be done

Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM

3,786 posts, read 2,814,447 times
I guess it all depends on how many credits you need to graduate. Personally I'd avoid it like the plague if it doesn't have the traditional route of a 4 year degree program. Generally the only programs that garner respect from employers and grad schools are institutions that do grant 4 year bachelor degrees. The exceptions are schools abroad (UK, Canada etc) which grant 3 year diplomas in many cases.

Edit: Just looked it up. It's a for-profit institution. Nuff said

Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM

19,127 posts, read 14,838,927 times
I could have easily received my BS in 2.5 years if I had the luxury of being a full time student with no job. Between splitting up classes at the CC and University, plus the lovely advent of online classes it would have been a piece of cake.

Unfortunately, I had to work full time +, so I was a part time student...but still finished my BS in 6 years, getting one AA and one AS along the way.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 PM

914 posts, read 691,310 times
It can be done ,there is nothing that I find funny about.It depends on the school .

Old 07-21-2010, 01:41 AM

591 posts, read 1,793,178 times
Yes, it can be done but ECPI is for-profit school that is not highly respected among many companies or organizations.

You could do your own zero to bachelor's in 2.5 at a state-run university for half of the cost and headaches...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities