U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-11-2010, 02:54 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,670,885 times

Advertisements

Tell your daughter that she wold be better off dating the college professor than the nosey janitor who is about to get fired. If he is in rehab, he is dealing with the problem. Does the nosey soon to be unemployed janitor not drink? If so, would it not be better to date a recovering alcoholic than someone who is only just becomming an alcoholic when he loses his job? Besides, he will likely be more interesting to talk to, have moeny for better dates and be a better potential provider. It is an all around win.

That is not to insult janitors. I was a janitor for several years and hopefully I was interesting to talk to, but I was pretty much broke all the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:57 PM

852 posts, read 718,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
College Profs don't have unions. They do have tenure if they have performed well and were on the tenure track. At any rate, I too agree that this is no one's business.
My husband and I instruct at two different state universities, and both of them have multiple unions.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM

43,017 posts, read 50,837,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can drink but can take it or leave it. One of my sisters, however, is an active alcoholic and my brother died from cirrhosis. Neither of our parents drank except perhaps occasionally on a holiday, but once they hit their 50's and developed high BP and diabetes, they didn't even do that because it interferes with the medication. I believe it comes down from a great-grandfather from hearing stories about him.

Meanwhile, I married and divorced an ordained, dyed-in-the-wool committed alcoholic from a family with a heavy history of alcoholism. My daughter struggled socially in college last year because she will not drink and drinking is such a big part of college life. She has seen too much and fears that if she ever decides to try drinking, she will become an alcoholic, too, and the possibility is a real one. She'll be all right--she just had to learn to stick to her guns and find people of like mind.
My biggest worry is that future generations won't realize the importance of not drinking because they will be generations removed from actually knowing an alcoholic in the family. My children never knew alcoholics in my family. My parents died near the time my children were born. They totally understand the risks because I drilled it into them. They know I'm not simply a conservative prude---I'm actually very liberal---and that helps them to realize how serious I am about the risks. I'm just afraid that their children or grandchildren won't understand the risks because future generations will fail to pass down this important information in such a manner that offspring will take it as seriously as it needs to be taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities