Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2010, 03:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post

It's still basic pre-algebra, tho. I hope a physician could handle it. I don't see how a person could pass calc I&II and not know the basics. Ideally, a HS grad should be able to handle, tho, I've heard how that might not be the case these days.
You have to use it all the time to feel comfortable with it. The physician could probably catch on faster than some others.

I threw in the baby's weight in pounds, no one seemed to notice that. It has to be converted to kilos.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
per OP
white collar applicant glut.
and i hate to say it but we are seeing some glut in the pink & blue collar jobs too.
RN hiring is down. my contractor friends say biz is bad too.
so that goes for blue collar too. the economy is hurting white pink and blue collar alike.
here is the difference---- my friends in the pink and blue collar do not have monster, and i mean monster, student loans to pay. the monster loans for advanced degrees are permanent, non dischargable they dont go away. the people that got pink and blue collar VE trade education are- for the most part- debt free --unless they made the mistake of going to private schools or got on the RN degree fever tract at the universities.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You have to use it all the time to feel comfortable with it. The physician could probably catch on faster than some others.

I threw in the baby's weight in pounds, no one seemed to notice that. It has to be converted to kilos.
Have there been examples? I've missed them. lb to kilo is just a conversion, which is, again, pre-algebra type stuff. Don't get me wrong, if a person isn't doing it often a conversion chart might be needed. It should not take years to figure out this stuff, tho, be it ratios, conversions, whatever. If it is, that's a problem. Do you think this contributes to the issues of patients getting over-dosed in hospitals? That happened to my brother once, many moons ago, and his heart stopped for a few minutes. I always attributed that type of stuff to nurses being overworked.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
per OP
white collar applicant glut.
and i hate to say it but we are seeing some glut in the pink & blue collar jobs too.
RN hiring is down. my contractor friends say biz is bad too.
so that goes for blue collar too. the economy is hurting white pink and blue collar alike.
here is the difference---- my friends in the pink and blue collar do not have monster, and i mean monster, student loans to pay. the monster loans for advanced degrees are permanent, non dischargable they dont go away. the people that got pink and blue collar VE trade education are- for the most part- debt free --unless they made the mistake of going to private schools or got on the RN degree fever tract at the universities.
I'm glad you're here. Here's the article I wanted to post in the other thread.

"Erin Lawley of Nashville City Paper reports of jobless new graduate nurses in "Tough Economy Creates Nurse Overload." Gale Scott also explores the plight of unemployed new grad nurses in Crains New York Business article "Nurse Shortage Replaced by Job Shortage." Chris Linden and Melissa Suran contribute the Kaiser Health News article Nurses Once in High Demand Face Job Shortages."

Old 09-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Have there been examples? I've missed them. lb to kilo is just a conversion, which is, again, pre-algebra type stuff. Don't get me wrong, if a person isn't doing it often a conversion chart might be needed. It should not take years to figure out this stuff, tho, be it ratios, conversions, whatever. If it is, that's a problem. Do you think this contributes to the issues of patients getting over-dosed in hospitals? That happened to my brother once, many moons ago, and his heart stopped for a few minutes. I always attributed that type of stuff to nurses being overworked.
Yes, somewhere upthread are some examples.

IMO, the easiest way to convert to kilos is to just weigh the kid on a kilogram scale. It eliminates the chance of error.

Generally, in a hospital, the pharmacist takes care of the dosing. I work in an office. However, in a place like an ICU, the nurses may do their own calculating. Hopefully, they would check it with someone. However, even then, both people may make the same mistake.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
I'm glad you're here. Here's the article I wanted to post in the other thread.

"Erin Lawley of Nashville City Paper reports of jobless new graduate nurses in "Tough Economy Creates Nurse Overload." Gale Scott also explores the plight of unemployed new grad nurses in Crains New York Business article "Nurse Shortage Replaced by Job Shortage." Chris Linden and Melissa Suran contribute the Kaiser Health News article Nurses Once in High Demand Face Job Shortages."
already read it. everybody is getting beat up, blue, white and pink collar jobs.
the difference. the jr college people with VE in the pink and blue collar field are not being crushed to death by monster student loans. if you wana talk to me just DM me im approachable dont do anon reps, i cant find you that way.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, somewhere upthread are some examples.

IMO, the easiest way to convert to kilos is to just weigh the kid on a kilogram scale. It eliminates the chance of error.
Would you otherwise be expected to do the division in your head? I imagine you would have a calculator.

Quote:
Generally, in a hospital, the pharmacist takes care of the dosing. I work in an office. However, in a place like an ICU, the nurses may do their own calculating. Hopefully, they would check it with someone. However, even then, both people may make the same mistake.
That's so odd and doesn't bode well with me. That's clearly a problem. These folk have people's lives in their hands and arithmetic/algebra should not be a problem. Also, what if the label on a particular bag is wrong? Don't the nurses check it, first? To be clear, I don't believe this is due to stupidity. Anybody can do arithmetic/algebra with practice. There's obviously not enough schooling/training. So, Ivory might have a point here.

I used to formulate and prepare dosing solutions for studies in a previous job. I'd check and recheck. The folk administering would check and recheck. That should certainly be the case in hospitals.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
already read it. everybody is getting beat up, blue, white and pink collar jobs.
the difference. the jr college people with VE in the pink and blue collar field are not being crushed to death by monster student loans. if you wana talk to me just DM me im approachable dont do anon reps, i cant find you that way.
I don't know what an anon is. Anonymous? It wasn't anonymous. We were having a conversation and I could only fit so many letters in a rep column.

Any way, a lot of folk are having a hard time right now. As stated, I think it might be a good idea for those who can't get scholarships to consider a trade. Sure. It's better than 100k of debt for a major that won't lead to a successful career. OTOH, this whole nursing thing is starting to sound really bad due to this thread. If these people cannot do basic maths, then obviously, they are not getting enough training. One-two years clearly won't cut it if they are administering drugs at any level or if they are consulting with families about a patient's illness. Unless, of course, if their job is to just bring food, or clean patients. I can see limited education for that.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yet nursing majors have one of the highest rates of loan default. I can't find a link right now, but I have read this in many nursing journals.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yet nursing majors have one of the highest rates of loan default. I can't find a link right now, but I have read this in many nursing journals.
Here's some info...

"For some institutions, though, the threat is worrying. The practical-nursing program run by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services in the New York counties of Madison and Oneida saw its default rate surge from 16 percent under the two-year measure to 43 percent under the three-year window, according to the Education Department data."

Also, I remember watching a series another poster linked some time ago about how CC's are starting to turn people away because they're jammed packed. So, a lot of students are attending these Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed.

"As expected, the highest default rate--11.9 percent--was among borrowers who attended for-profit colleges."

Those schools tend to be very expensive and for the one's that offer nursing programs, they're not accredited and don't offer clinical experience. So, these students graduate and can't get nursing jobs any way. It's pretty sad.

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities