Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
But for some reason, there does seem like there are many nurses that seem very insecure in the social nuances (and their place) within the medical field hierarchy.
You make this ^^^ statement and then..
Quote:
Why does the length of your white coat bother you?
ask this question when, from where I sit, is answered by your previous statement. I think the hierarchy may play a role. I saw it when I worked at a hospital and the medical field hierarchy is so goofy. Really, patients are walking into an asylum when they go to the hospital.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
One source: Why else are people...

I don't need to be a shrink to state the obvious. And I never bashed the field of nursing. I did state that I admire nurses. If you every read any of my posts on other threads, I have often come to the defense of nurses. Funny, I have even been accused of being a nurse in another thread.
But for some reason, there does seem like there are many nurses that seem very insecure in the social nuances (and their place) within the medical field hierarchy.

You mean basic algebra?
So LPNs are not nurses? So now the BSN is the entry level requirement to go into the field of nursing?
Then entry level to become an RN is an AAS degree. Hopefully, soon it will be a BSN. An RN and an LPN are not the same thing. The preparation is different. An RNs is longer, by at least a year. The licensing exams are different, and grant different priviledges.

As for never hearing anyone say nursing is not a profession, here you are calling it a trade, all b/c of some unsourced article you read somewhere, sometime:

Quote:
Huh? By the way. Isn't a one-or-two year nursing degree considered trade or vocational? I remember reading an article stating hot trade school degrees, and nursing was #1. (Though I have also read about there being to many nurses).
Also, I would assume an electrician's license says something like "professional electrician" or "master electrician"? There is nothing wrong with having a vocational or trade degree. Again, I know a lot of successful people who only have a vocational degree.
Clearly, you think a vocational degree is lesser than whatever you are comparing it to.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
President Obama recently emphasized the importance of a college-educated workforce. He stopped short of, yet alluded to, the popular goal of many educational leaders of all children going to college.

What would the unintended consequences be if this goal were achieved? It is hard to imagine that anyone would want to work as a cashier at Walmart, a truck driver, a construction worker, or work any other job that does not currently require an advanced degree.

It's time to stop the rhetoric and PC statements and focus on the goal of providing opportunity. This involves a structure that allows the learner to pursue the education and training necessary that matches their ability, aptitude, motivation and interest with the needs of society.

For many this may have little or nothing to do with college.
Interesting talk about nurses but a bit off topic. Let's see if we can get back to the OP. ^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM

436 posts, read 755,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb

You make this ^^^ statement and then..

Quote:

ask this question when, from where I sit, is answered by your previous statement. I think the hierarchy may play a role. I saw it when I worked at a hospital and the medical field hierarchy is so goofy. Really, patients are walking into an asylum when they go to the hospital.

Why does the length of one's coat bother a nurse, or a medical resident so much? If you are a nurse, you are a nurse. If you are a medical resident, you will be an experienced physician soon enough.
A nurse should not be ashamed at what he/she does.
All medical practitioners should be proud of what they do.
We all have roles, and I agree, patients do not want to deal with the insanity and jealousy found in hospitals.
I had first hand experience of this silliness during the first time I took my son to the emergency room. I don't want to get into details, but let's just say, when
I have to talk with someone in the hospital, I want to know whether this person is a MD, a resident, a nurse, etc.
In the case for my son's experience; thank god, my father was a physician and intervened before any damage was done.

And if you don't have a problem with the length of your white coat, than it is an easy question to answer. Why is it so offensive?

Why should you care about the length of their white coat...
Long or Short.

Why should you care about how people look at your degree...
Trade, Vocational, Associate or Bachelors.

Or if what you do has the criteria of passing as a...
Job or Career or Profession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Clearly, you think a vocational degree is lesser than whatever you are comparing it to.
You do realize that I am indeed promoting vocational degrees with this statement? When I make the comparison, one should assume that there are a lot of SUCCESSFUL people who only have a vocational degree versus a lot of UNSUCCESSFUL people who have a (take your pick), bachelors, masters, PhD.
I have no problems with vocational degrees. In fact, I have stated many times, that we should offer more vocational degrees.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Why does the length of one's coat bother a nurse, or a medical resident so much? If you are a nurse, you are a nurse. If you are a medical resident, you will be an experienced physician soon enough.
A nurse should not be ashamed at what he/she does.
All medical practitioners should be proud of what they do.
We all have roles, and I agree, patients do not want to deal with the insanity and jealousy found in hospitals.
I had first hand experience of this silliness during the first time I took my son to the emergency room. I don't want to get into details, but let's just say, when
I have to talk with someone in the hospital, I want to know whether this person is a MD, a resident, a nurse, etc.
In the case for my son's experience; thank god, my father was a physician and intervened before any damage was done.

And if you don't have a problem with the length of your white coat, than it is an easy question to answer. Why is it so offensive?

Why should you care about the length of their white coat...
Long or Short.

Or if what you do has the criteria of passing as a...
Job or Career or Profession

You do realize that I am indeed promoting vocational degrees with this statement? When I make the comparison, one should assume that there are a lot of SUCCESSFUL people who only have a vocational degree versus a lot of UNSUCCESSFUL people who have a (take your pick), bachelors, masters, PhD.
I have no problems with vocational degrees. In fact, I have stated many times, that we should offer more vocational degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Interesting talk about nurses but a bit off topic. Let's see if we can get back to the OP. ^
Agreed. In fact, I may start a new thread about nursing education.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:34 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,192,725 times
Quote:
It's a throw back to high school, I guess. That was the feel of it to me. Kind of like cliques. I think that would bother any sane person that doesn't get off on drama. For the one's that do enjoy such environments, they're at home I guess. Either way, it's pretty bizarre and rather unhealthy. Of course, I'm doing a lot of generalizing here simply based on my experience and that of a friend that works at a hospital.

Quote:
Yea. Frankly, it's one of the many things that makes me weary of going within a 100 yards of a hospital.

Quote:
I'm a little confused about this length of coat stuff. I didn't realize it was so important. I wear a lab coat. It's white. It's long. I do so because I need to protect myself while in the lab rather than wearing it as a costume for ego symbolism. It would be stupid for a scientist to wear a short coat. What would be the point of wearing it at all? Frankly, it's silly that people where lab coats when they're-not-in-the-lab.

Quote:
Well, if people are looking down at them, viewing them as if there is some kind of hierarchy, than I can understand being miffed by it.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's a throw back to high school, I guess. That was the feel of it to me. Kind of like cliques. I think that would bother any sane person that doesn't get off on drama. For the one's that do enjoy such environments, they're at home I guess. Either way, it's pretty bizarre and rather unhealthy.
I only identify the white coat as the symbol of the insanity and drama you would find in hospitals. From what I gather, the length of your coat use to signify if you were a nurse, physician, or resident, etc. If you read some of my posts in other threads, you will see that I have often said good things about nurses and other health practitioners. But the melodrama especially between physicians and nurses is down right silly. On many threads, you will always see physicians and nurses bash each other. A comment like, oh, if a nurse can't do it, an idiot doctor can't do it like the silly simple math examples stated earlier by Katrina. Or you will have doctor, usually a medical resident take a cheap shot that all nurses are all idiots.

Quote:
I'm a little confused about this length of coat stuff. I didn't realize it was so important. I wear a lab coat. It's white. It's long. I do so because I need to protect myself while in the lab rather than wearing it as a costume for ego symbolism.
Trust me, I understand. I use to be a chemist a long, long time ago. Less drama in a lab where we are all sniffing chemicals. I am not sure if the white coat example applies to all hospitals, but the white coat example is something that I have heard. (I haven't looked into it, but do a google search. I am sure it will pop up.) I don't even want to get into the whole, let's start referring to some nurses as doctors stupidity.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:55 PM

One of the unintended consequences of everyone getting a bachelors degree, is the meaning of a college degree no longer holds the same meaning, expectations or value as it did in the past.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I only identify the white coat as the symbol of the insanity and drama you would find in hospitals. From what I gather, the length of your coat use to signify if you were a nurse, physician, or resident, etc. If you read some of my posts in other threads, you will see that I have often said good things about nurses and other health practitioners. But the melodrama especially between physicians and nurses is down right silly. On many threads, you will always see physicians and nurses bash each other. A comment like, oh, if a nurse can't do it, an idiot doctor can't do it like the silly simple math examples stated earlier by Katrina. Or you will have doctor, usually a medical resident take a cheap shot that all nurses are all idiots.

Trust me, I understand. I use to be a chemist a long, long time ago. Less drama in a lab where we are all sniffing chemicals. I am not sure if the white coat example applies to all hospitals, but the white coat example is something that I have heard. (I haven't looked into it, but do a google search. I am sure it will pop up.) I don't even want to get into the whole, let's start referring to some nurses as doctors stupidity.
I"ve been trying to comply with the wishes of the moderator to get off this nursing topic, however, I feel compelled to defend myself. I never called any doctor an "idiot". My math examples weren't silly, either, they are derived from real life. I find it interesting that so many on this forum think the best way to convert from pounds to kilos is to go through some complicated formula instead of just weighing the kid on a kilo scale. The fewer conversions you have to make, the less likely a chance of error.

Your story about the length of lab coats is incorrect. No one wears lab coats on the floors; the docs sometimes show up in jeans, the nurses wear scrubs, and before that we wore white dresses.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:11 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I"ve been trying to comply with the wishes of the moderator to get off this nursing topic, however, I feel compelled to defend myself. I never called any doctor an "idiot". My math examples weren't silly, either, they are derived from real life. I find it interesting that so many on this forum think the best way to convert from pounds to kilos is to go through some complicated formula instead of just weighing the kid on a kilo scale. The fewer conversions you have to make, the less likely a chance of error.

Your story about the length of lab coats is incorrect. No one wears lab coats on the floors; the docs sometimes show up in jeans, the nurses wear scrubs, and before that we wore white dresses.
What is complicated about dividing the number of pounds by 2.2?

Its hardly advanced calculus....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities