Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 02:04 PM

4,523 posts, read 6,768,857 times

Advertisements

President Obama recently emphasized the importance of a college-educated workforce. He stopped short of, yet alluded to, the popular goal of many educational leaders of all children going to college.

What would the unintended consequences be if this goal were achieved? It is hard to imagine that anyone would want to work as a cashier at Walmart, a truck driver, a construction worker, or work any other job that does not currently require an advanced degree.

It's time to stop the rhetoric and PC statements and focus on the goal of providing opportunity. This involves a structure that allows the learner to pursue the education and training necessary that matches their ability, aptitude, motivation and interest with the needs of society.

For many this may have little or nothing to do with college.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,648,910 times
Yes the myth that you are no one unless you have a degree has led us to WALMART cashiers with degrees. How will we ever live without illegals if none of us will work in the Meat Packing Plants and Chicken Processing Plants.
I am an Army retiree and live outside a Fort, everyday I see the best of Americas Youth showing how talented they really are without a Certificate that says so

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM

207 posts, read 962,588 times
You'll have to go to graduate school to get a decent job. It's what I'm doing. If everyone has a college degree then you have to have something better in order to be the one person picked for the job out of 1000.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:15 PM

8,598 posts, read 9,093,828 times
"What Are The Unintended Consequences Of Everyone Getting A College Degree?"

An educated trash man.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Yes the myth that you are no one unless you have a degree has led us to WALMART cashiers with degrees. How will we ever live without illegals if none of us will work in the Meat Packing Plants and Chicken Processing Plants.
I am an Army retiree and live outside a Fort, everyday I see the best of Americas Youth showing how talented they really are without a Certificate that says so
College for everyone is the current goal in education. There is no room for an opposing viewpoint if you are a teacher.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Having an overqualified employee can actually negatively impact job performance.

In college I worked in a bank's processing center opening and sorting receivables. Those who did the job best and enjoyed it the most were hired under an arrangement with an agency that employs adults with cognitive disabiliites.

This was a good match providing employment opportunities for the disabled while receiving good job productivity.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,451,170 times
Well I'm a waitress right now and sure it as hell doesn't pay much, I make less than 15k a year. So yeah Im in college to get a degree in the health care field. Thank God I dont have a ton of bills.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,257,490 times
I'm all for vocational programs.

People learn in different ways and it is a shame to force someone to go to college if they don't want to. Especially if there is a need for a, say, construction job without the need of a degree. For that, you'd want experience. Same with a mechanic.

Now I personally loved college, but I can see this 'Utopia' that will never come. I think the idea is that everyone will go to college while robots do all the hard work. In the meantime someone is going to get screwed. Its was and is blue collar worker in the U.S. and then it will be the red collar worker in China.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
It degrades the degree. Then the Masters becomes the degree to set people apart.
Then the PhD will become the next.

You hear constantly that you need a college degree to get a job today.
With government now owning the student loan market..YES everyone can go to college via a government loan.

Students graduating with $90K+ loans is NEVER a good start in life.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:42 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,312,328 times
The normal curve prevents everyone going to college, because everyone cannot handle the work load or the intellectual preparation. To give everyone a college degree means that college will have to be dumbed down even more than it is now.

There was a time when no one without an IQ of at least 135 went to college(this was before there were IQ tests). Then it got dumbed down and people with 120's could go. Now its down to about 105 or less. Now we no longer have highly intelligent doctors working on us because the medical schools have dumbed down to any 110 who has a good memory.

In a word: mediocrity.

They are giving EdD'a and PhD's now in certain subjects as long as you have the money. To be labeled "smart" now you have to get a PhD in nuclear physics from a major university and do your dissertation work in a different 1st world European country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.