U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2010, 09:11 PM

14 posts, read 45,048 times

Advertisements

The Southeastern Conference (SEC) is perhaps the best conference in America consisting of many national ranking universities in popular college towns.

This is a fun thread used to rank the schools in terms of academic excellence, reputation, location, and athletics. Please feel free to post anything about any of these universities. Comments and complaints from former/or current students would be a plus.

According to the U.S. News & Report, here is the national ranking of SEC universities among both private and public universities in the country:

17th: Vanderbilt - This Ivy League school of the South is top-notch in education that enjoys the urban location of Nashville. However, this school has the worst athletic program in the SEC especially in college football.

53rd: Florida - This school is excellent ranking high in all catergories especially in its athletic program with Urban Meyer and two recent national championships. Gainesville has enough amenties but it's pretty far from major cities in Florida with inland humidity. Yuck!

56th: Georgia - This school is excellent ranking high in all catergories and has been popular for being one of American Best Values schools. It benefits from Athens' close distance to Atlanta, also known as "Hotlanta".

79th: Alabama - This school has storied football history with Bear Bryant with 2nd most national championships behind only Notre Dame. The hiring of Nick Saban turned out to be a great idea that added another championship to its storied program. For some, Tuscaloosa and the state of Alabama might be undesirable.

85th: Auburn - This is another great school in rural area overshadowed by the Univ. of Alabama up north. Again, its rural location might be undesirable for some.

104th: Tennessee - The University of Tennessee and its Vols have the largest football stadium in the SEC with the capacity of 102,000. Everything in Knoxville revolves around the Vols and the beauty of the Smokey Mountains. It bleeds Orange earning the nickname "The Orange Nation." Neyland Stadium has been voted as one of the best college experiences many times. I am currently considering to attend graduate school at Tennessee.

111th: South Carolina - Who cares about South Carolina? Even Steve Spurrier can't turn the football program around.

124th: LSU - This is probably one of the most underrated schools due to the state's being hard hit by Hurricane Katrina then the worst oil spill in U.S. History. The disasters didn't stop the Tigers from being one of the top teams in the SEC with championships under both Saban and Miles.

129th: Kentucky - This school is in the middle of the Bluegrass of Kentucky with popular basketball team.

132nd: Arkansas (my alma mater) - This school is located in popular Northwest region in the state that have been experiencing explosive growth due to the headquarter of Wal-Mart in Bentonville. Poultry Science and Business are the most popular programs at Arkansas. Arkansas has the only mascot in America called the Razorbacks or the Hogs. Fayetteville has been nicknamed "The Track Capital of the World" due to Arkansas' national championships in Track. Woo Pig Sooie!

143rd: Ole Miss - This rural school in Oxford has been a rival of Arkansas Razorbacks especially since Ole Miss stole our previous coach Houston Nutt. Another interesting fact about this school is that its students are the most snobbish and well-dressed since it's full of mostly rich kids of southern families.

151st: Mississippi State - Another rural school in Mississippi overshadowed by Ole Miss has best programs in Veterinary Science and Meteorology. It has the second worst football program behind Vanderbilt.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 AM

1,986 posts, read 2,305,974 times
Alabama is #1 in football, so you have to add a point to their ranking. Florida is #5 so you would add 5 points to their scores.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:27 PM

10,450 posts, read 16,929,805 times
My daughter is starting grad school at Vandy next week so it only makes sense to me that it should be at the top of the rankings. I don't think she knows about their sports teams though.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:48 PM

4,019 posts, read 5,037,415 times
DS2 is starting his second year at the University of Arkansas. He's in the Walton School of Business. Fayetteville is a great town and UofA is really growing. They've gotten so big, they've had to reopen dorms that have been closed for a few years just to be able to house all the new freshmmen.
Woo Pig Sooie!

Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM

3,143 posts, read 3,033,155 times
interesting thought:

Is the state of Alabama an overachiever in higher education?

It seems to me that both Bama and Auburn's academic rankings are higher than one would expect from a state in the Deep South, often seen as the most regressive part of the region.

Is there a parallel up north: how about the University of Iowa, whose own impressive academic ranking (higher than UA or AU) comes from a state that is largely rural with no major city...not the usual for a school of its caliber.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,063,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
interesting thought:

It seems to me that both Bama and Auburn's academic rankings are higher than one would expect from a state in the Deep South, often seen as the most regressive part of the region.

Is there a parallel up north: how about the University of Iowa, whose own impressive academic ranking (higher than UA or AU) comes from a state that is largely rural with no major city...not the usual for a school of its caliber.
Yes, universities aren't necessarily reflective of the state's primary education system. Universities derive funding from many different sources.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
interesting thought:

What an interesting thought! I will have to agree with impressive universities' ranking especially in states like Alabama and Iowa.

On the other hand, Alabama is experiencing economic growth lately like Tennessee, Georgia, and Tennessee. It's what you call "The New South" unlike MS, LA, and SC.

Although Iowa is overwhelming rural, most population are in urban areas such as Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Ames, Council Bluffs near Omaha, NE, and Tri-Cities though. That's called rural flight. That's kinda different from Alabama where many people still live in rural areas throughout the state. Also, Iowa is more progressive state compared to Alabama.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My daughter is starting grad school at Vandy next week so it only makes sense to me that it should be at the top of the rankings. I don't think she knows about their sports teams though.
Congrats to your daughter! Vanderbilt is an awesome school. I'm sure that most graduate students don't care about sports like undergraduates since they already experienced college life.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
DS2 is starting his second year at the University of Arkansas. He's in the Walton School of Business. Fayetteville is a great town and UofA is really growing. They've gotten so big, they've had to reopen dorms that have been closed for a few years just to be able to house all the new freshmmen.
Woo Pig Sooie!
That's no surprise! I know all about its growth. I wish your son and all Razorbacks the best in their college education. Woo Pig Sooie!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:47 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,063,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAvidTraveler View Post

Although Iowa is overwhelming rural, most population are in urban areas such as Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Ames, Council Bluffs near Omaha, NE, and Tri-Cities though. That's called rural flight. That's kinda different from Alabama where many people still live in rural areas throughout the state. Also, Iowa is more progressive state compared to Alabama.
I don't think this is necessarily true.A good chunk of Alabama's population live in the Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery metropolitan areas. And as I said, it goes well beyond state support. Just look at the top public schools in the latest US News rankings-- Best Colleges - Education - US News Michigan is probably the only state that generally ranks higher in primary education measures that also has a school in the top 10. California, North Carolina, Virginia, and Georgia are all middle-of the road. And if you go down even further, you'll see that this trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities