Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 09:06 AM

472 posts, read 347,355 times

Advertisements

These schools reputations vary by program. For law, Yale is the top. No idea where it is for other programs.
Harvard isn't too far behind though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 10:31 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
These schools reputations vary by program. For law, Yale is the top. No idea where it is for other programs.
Harvard isn't too far behind though.
Obviously, neither school’s reputation varies by program; Harvard and Yale are amongst the world’s best (and most competitive) universities. That their rank may vary ever-so-slightly based in re: specific programs (or publications, for that matter) does not translate to a variation in academic reputation and overall excellence.

In fact, specifically relative to law, it speaks to differences in size, grading system and so on rather than the quality or reputation of such. While several comparisons can be made/debated, it ultimately comes down to where one is accepted anyway.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:32 PM

207 posts, read 220,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Obviously, neither school’s reputation varies by program; Harvard and Yale are amongst the world’s best (and most competitive) universities. That their rank may vary ever-so-slightly based in re: specific programs (or publications, for that matter) does not translate to a variation in academic reputation and overall excellence.
For example, in Engineering, Harvard's Graduate Program is ranked #21, Yale is ranked #38.
In Computer Science, Harvard is #16, Yale is #20. In Earth Sciences, Harvard is #12, Yale is #19...

Bottom line, I would not go for graduate studies to Yale School of Engineering & Applied Science if I had better options I heard their graduate program in Environmental Health Engineering is very good though...

Old 11-30-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsocal View Post
Bottom line, I would not go for graduate studies to Yale School of Engineering & Applied Science if I had better options
‘Better options available’ at that level are non-existent for most; but hey, good luck with that. :-) The point being, various programs are going to fluctuate a bit (for all schools); but it doesn’t change the fact Harvard and Yale are amongst the world’s best (and most competitive) universities. That said, Crazybreakfast’s post specifically mentioned (Harvard and Yale) law and stated the schools’ reputations vary by program. Obviously, a few notches in rank (relative to specific programs) does not translate to a (complete) change in reputation and academic excellence.

In other words, any student who graduates from Harvard or Yale (per the thread) is going to have the same (high) level of opportunity and probability for success.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:14 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socstudent View Post
I would say that by virtue of where it's located, Yale is inferior to the other Ivy League schools. They all carry weight in the name and prestige, all have great resources to offer but most of them don't require a bullet-proof vest to go to class. Of course that's an exaggeration but unfortunately not by much. I grew up in Connecticut, I've visited New Haven on several occasions and it's a pretty scary place, even where the university is located. Also being in the social sciences I've read several lengthy ethnographies about the poverty and crime in New Haven. It's not a place I would ever want my child if they were picking a college. I just think if a student has the credentials to get into an Ivy League school they should steer towards Harvard or Princeton. Much nicer areas equal a better overall college experience.
That's a very strange reason to say that a university is "inferior".

Areas such as New Haven, provide a rich learning environment for students with an interest in law, public policy, sociology, ethnography, American studies, history, and a myriad of other majors.

A privileged upper middle-class student can learn much from living in a place such as New Haven. Many internships can be found there, also.

Old 12-01-2022, 03:24 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Ordinarily I wouldn't respond to a thread like this, but this really put a relatively recent societal obsession into focus.

Would someone, anyone please tell me what the fixation with eight schools in an athletic conference is? They have always been elite, yes, but when I was looking at colleges many years ago no one (and I mean no one) obsessed over getting into, say, Penn. They were more likely to obsess over getting into Wesleyan or Amherst. I really hope that personone is a teenager looking at schools, because if you are an adult, your strange preoccupation with granularly ranking schools (most of which are equally accomplished) based on some ethereal notion of prestige is truly pathetic (psst, the university with the second most Nobel Laureates isn't even on your list).

This newish obsession with college prestige is a creeping virus that has now moved beyond places like Boston (where it has long been a plague) to the general population. And, all it is doing is creating a false notion of success for young kids.
As an independent academic advisor, I find that Ivy Mania is more common among first generation Americans, wealthy but first-generation students of parents who did not attend college, and, of course, legacies.

Children of professors and other academics, seem to prefer Amherst and Wesleyan. As well as the many other schools that are not in "the league".

Old 12-01-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As an independent academic advisor, I find that Ivy Mania is more common among first generation Americans, wealthy but first-generation students of parents who did not attend college, and, of course, legacies.

Children of professors and other academics, seem to prefer Amherst and Wesleyan. As well as the many other schools that are not in "the league".
It isn’t about preference (at the surface) or closed-minded stereotypes. Is it not your job to align students’ abilities, goals and needs with specific schools for the best fit? The acceptance rate of any Ivy/top-tiered school is the ‘elephant in the room’, so to speak.

Old 12-02-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
‘Better options available’ at that level are non-existent for most; but hey, good luck with that. :-) The point being, various programs are going to fluctuate a bit (for all schools); but it doesn’t change the fact Harvard and Yale are amongst the world’s best (and most competitive) universities....
There is a very significant difference between a graduate program that is ranked say in top three and a graduate program ranked #38. If you do not know the difference than I do not know what to add...

Again, a typical PhD in Engineering from Yale will not " have the same (high) level of opportunity and probability of success" as a typical PhD in Engineering form MIT. It is obviously still very very good and valuable, just not in the same league.

P.S. Regarding your "good luck with that": well, I know what I am talking about and good luck has nothing to do with it And yes, better options are non-existent for most but this, strangely, did not stop you from chiming on this subject, right ?

Old 12-03-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
There is a very significant difference between a graduate program that is ranked say in top three and a graduate program ranked #38. If you do not know the difference than I do not know what to add...
The (obvious) question is why a program is ranked as they are i.e. it does not automatically (nor literally) translate to one school/program being several notches ‘better’ than another, lol - particularly relative to top-tiered/prestigiously academic universities overall. One must know what, specifically, is being measured/compared i.e. differences in grading systems, teaching methodology, size and other factors that are not necessarily relative to quality (or one’s potential success) in and of itself. Rather, it may often be about preference - particularly in re: graduate programs.

Hence my point, relative to the thread and another’s post (re: law), i.e. one must understand such in consideration of rank rather than simply taking it at face value and negating overall rank/reputation (or other factors) in the process. In other words, one’s dreams for the future aren’t dashed if they’re accepted at one over the other; to even suggest such (or state one is looking for ‘better’ options at that level based on program rank sans other information) tells me said person doesn’t understand (yet alone has ever gone through) the application process relative to the Ivies (and/or other top-tiered universities).

Quote:
Again, a typical PhD in Engineering from Yale will not " have the same (high) level of opportunity and probability of success" as a typical PhD in Engineering form MIT. It is obviously still very very good and valuable, just not in the same league.
Point being, it’s ludicrous to suggest doors of opportunity will be shut relative to one over the other i.e. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and MIT are all globally-ranked universities at the top of the list. That said, ‘equal’ (for all intents and purposes) is not the same as identical (nor do schools need offer or emphasize the same type of programs in order to be ‘in the same league’).

However, the thread isn’t about MIT; hence you clearly didn’t understand (nor did you respond to) my comments relative to such. Harvard and Yale are amongst the world’s best (and most competitive) universities; and their overall rank and reputation for academic excellence doesn’t change because another academically-prestigious university ranks higher for a specific program (or even overall). I certainly didn’t state, nor implied, Harvard and Yale are the ONLY well-respected and academically-competitive universities nor, obviously, is any school the best of everything.

Old 12-03-2022, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Point being, it’s ludicrous to suggest doors of opportunity will be shut relative to one over the other i.e. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and MIT are all globally-ranked universities at the top of the list. That said, ‘equal’ (for all intents and purposes) is not the same as identical (nor do schools need offer or emphasize the same type of programs in order to be ‘in the same league’).

However, the thread isn’t about MIT; hence you clearly didn’t understand (nor did you respond to) my comments relative to such.

Whatever You do not own this thread and you even did not start it.
The only purpose of my comments was just to agree with the following from Crazybreakfast : "These schools reputations vary by program..."

You probably did not go to a top graduate school and, perhaps, base your opinion on undergraduate experience. It is absolutely true that for undergraduate education both Harvard and Yale are fantastic choices that open many doors. For graduate school, the situation depends on a particular program though.
Just for the record, I went to Princeton for graduate school to the program that is consistently ranked in top 3-5 nationally and, quite often, is ranked #1. In order to understand the difference between #38 and say a top five program, e.g. between a very good Yale graduate programs in Engineering and truly fantastic graduate program just make a look at the list of Engineering faculty at the very top programs and see for yourself how many of them have PhD from Yale. The answer- not many

Or let us put it another way. There are many really good universities in the US. Still, there is a significant difference between a top ranked college and a college ranked #38. If you don't get it, well this is life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities