Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdogsucks View Post
A law degree doesn't necessarily mean you will become a lawyer. I work with alot of them and very few actually practice law.

Law degree is the 'professional' liberal arts degree.

I would be very reluctant to suggest someone spend the time and money to get a law degree if they didnt actually want to be a lawyer, or at least some job requiring extensive legal knowledge. For a general management job, govt, non profit, etc you can probably do better with other paths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 10:52 PM

79 posts, read 220,190 times
Default What?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
I hired a historian the summer before last to paint my house. I paid him $1,200 for the whole job, it took two weeks, but he had a Ph.D and his own brushes. Do you have your own brushes?

Are you kidding me? Someone with a PhD was painting your house? What? Is this for real?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM

79 posts, read 220,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My brother has a history degree and worked in Human Resources for many years. He had a pretty good career until he got laid off a few years ago. He did HR work for 30+ years.
I was surprised when I read this post. I would think that with 30+ years of work experience that your brother would be valuable to the company and never get laid off. What does your brother do now?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret4777 View Post
Are you kidding me? Someone with a PhD was painting your house? What? Is this for real?
I know of science Ph. D's selling windows at Lowes, working retail, selling real-estate, doing carpentry. A Ph. D. often winds up closing more doors than it opens.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret4777 View Post
Why are you so surprised to hear this?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Why are you so surprised to hear this?
It really surprised me too. I assumed he would use a roller and not brushes-- especially if it was a big paint job he was working on.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
It really surprised me too. I assumed he would use a roller and not brushes-- especially if it was a big paint job he was working on.
Nice touch..I think..

Of course, it's possible that he needed the PhD just to get the job

Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Three thoughts:

1) There is a difference between education and training. A traditional liberal arts education historically was to prepare you to be a good citizen, not for a job. Professional school or trade schools prepare you for a job, not to be a good citizen. Think of it this way. Let's suppose you have a 13 year old daughter. Would you like her to receive sex education in school, or would you prefer she receive sex training?

2) The entire notion of "what job" is misguided for anyone under the age of about 25. That is old-thinking - the kind from 30 years ago. Don't think of it as being an employee for an employer -- think about it as being a service provider with a customer. You're CEO of your own company and you "sell" your services to the person who traditionally you might thought of as your employer. Every now and then, your customer is going to switch suppliers (that is, you'll get laid off & have to find a new job). Every now and then, you may decide your customer is a pain in the a$$ and you'll go find a new one (switch jobs).

Moreover, the best way to think about the future is to be an entrepreneur and run your own show - make your own job by finding something you can do where people would willingly give you money to do it. It isn't hard to do; it is a simple matter of execution.

3) If all else fails, you can deal blackjack in Las Vegas (union position) and you'll make the kind of money you seek.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I dont want to be in the gambling industry.I do hope to be a enteprenuer someday.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,951 times
I graduated in 2013 from a good public university with a BA in History. I currently work as a Data Analyst, the first job I got right out of college. I encourage you to listen to a lot of the advice you've already received: unless you're going to pursue graduate studies in history, with the goal of being a historian, or in some way doing history, you need to refine your approach. A lot of the point of a history degree, and by extension, many other disciplines under the Liberal Arts umbrella, is to learn how to think, write, and analyze. Leverage your ability to read, think (on a macro scale), see between the lines, aggregate ideas and data into a usable way, and recognize that many people don't have these skills. LEVERAGE THAT! You can translate the skills you've learned with a history program into just about any field you want to, you're just going to have to do it cleaner and more diligently than your competition, and perhaps most importantly, you're going to have to work your way up to the position you want. A barrier to entry into the job/field you want might be your formal training, but it's not a barrier than can't be broken down. It just might take time and persistence. Many a C-level executive started off their career with nothing but a BA in History and a seemingly endless supply of ambition and determination. Take a page from their book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities