Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:51 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times

Advertisements

I'm 31, single, childless, and I've been working blue collar jobs for the past eleven years. I started college right out of high school, but I had no clue what I wanted to do so I dropped out after two years. Now I've decided I'd really like to return, probably for either geology, biology, or some other field of science I haven't thought of yet. I'm eager to learn all I can, and I intend to stay in school until I get at least my Master's. I'm not going back to school in order to have a larger paycheck, I just want to do something for a living that I enjoy, something that will allow me to continue to learn from now on, something that is challenging and interesting. I've had my doubts concerning whether I'll be intellectually capable of such an undertaking, but I think I can do it. However, I've always struggled a LOT with math. The first C I ever got in school was in Algebra, and I was amazed I passed my high school math courses at all. On my ACT my overall score was a 24, with a 29 on the science portion, but a 14 on the math. When I was in college, I started a basic college algebra course one semester and on the first day I was utterly lost. I dropped the course within a few days. I've always done well with Science, English, and History, but except for basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and basic geometry) I've always struggled considerably.

But I also went to a fairly sub-par high school which ill-prepared me for college, and at the time I wasn't at all eager to learn. I was there because I had to be, and I did fine in high school, but I wasn't actually interested in learning. And for the two years I was in college, I did fairly well except for that algebra class and a history class I took my final semester, after I had lost interest. Again, I had no desire to learn, I was just in college because it was what you were supposed to do after high school. And in my preparations to go back to school, I've continually told myself that things will be different now because I have a different attitude, and that there will be plenty of tutoring and counseling available if I have trouble with my math courses. But is it just a matter of being taught properly? Are some people simply incapable of learning more complex mathematics? I can read about Geology, Biology, philosophy, History, English, etc and have little trouble grasping fairly in-depth topics in these fields, but when I see an equation much more complex than 7 - x = 3, my mind seems to go blank. Will my past math struggles continue, or is this something I can beat with my new desire for knowledge? I want to learn math, and I want to be good at, but might it be something I simply can't master? Or is it simply a matter of desire, willingness, and good teachers? I hope my concerns are unfounded, but as I get closer to actually making the plunge back in to school, I'm starting to worry more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,261 times
Think positive- you are alot older and alot more determined. Also, every school has tutoring available - take advantage of it. Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,542,442 times
A lot of people who are "afraid" of math just may need a different learning style? Perhaps more "real world examples" (i.e. story problems).

A lot of people see variables (i.e. X, Y, etc..) and immediately start to shut down.

I would suggest starting with a remedial college match course at a Comm. College.

Most science programs (depending on which science you take) will require at least an introductory Calc I - and to get through that you will need to be proficient in Algebra, Algebra II, Geometry, and Trig.

I was a biology major - and I had to take Calc I. Of course, I love math - so for me - not a big deal.

But you really want to start LEARNING math (not just memorizing it and forgetting it).

Check the local comm. coll. and see what they've got. And don't worry - you CAN handle it! You just need to find the style that works for you and forcus!

Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping I'm just inflating it into a bigger issue than I should. My brain is probably not quite as sharp as it was when I was 18, but my attitude is completely different. Back then, I hated math and couldn't understand why I needed it, and now I really want to learn it and be good at it. I am planning (and may be required to anyway) to take some remedial courses at first. It's been so long since I was in school that I'm sure there are a lot of basic things I need to re-learn.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
As my kids move through their school years I am amazed at how much easier math has gotten as my brain has matured . I wasn't a good math student in high school but in helping the kids with their homework now, I am pretty sure I could take a high school math class now and get straight A's.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:49 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
The OP sounds like 'my story', but I went to a preparatory high school, albeit a public one.

Biology, my chosen major. I can say this: biology is the science that many students get into because they believe it is the science that requires the least, if any, math. This may be true depending on the school you attend, as some biology programs are more relaxed than others with the math requirements. Expect to take at least one semester of watered down calculus (Calc for social sciences and/or management, for example) and a statistics course. The more prestigious the school, the more rigorous the math requirement, though.

I would suggest Calc I, Calc II, and either Calc III, Linear Algebra, Geometry or something else that offers vector analysis. Also, depending on your school, you will either be required to take one year of algebra-based physics or one year of calculus-based physics. Take calculus-based physics. A one-year sequence of introductory physics is going to be more about the concepts than the math, anyways, but a). no decent grad program is going to accept algebra-based physics, and b). despite how it seems, calculus-based physics is actually easier.

If you want to get into grad school for biology or another science, you will need at least two semesters of college level calculus at the least.

I was okay with math in high school, but it was never my strong point. Like most, it just didn't make sense to me. When I got older, I decided to teach myself math, and got a few books on trig on calculus. One book in particular, Calculus Made Easy-which was first published over 80 years ago, and hasn't changed much since- really helped a lot. I just took it slow and eventually I realized that 'I get it'. Now, it seems ridiculous that at one point in time I thought that it was 'hard'.

Another thing to keep in mind: you need to really hone your writing skills. Trust me, you will write, a lot.

I am out the door in a few minutes, but if you want any other advice regarding being a biology student, etc. hit me up.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 AM

K-Luv, thanks for all the useful information. I truly want to understand math and be good at it. I've considered trying to re-teach myself some of the basics before I start. My brother thinks that, if I know it's something I'll need for my field, I'll do fine. I have a good friend who is a college math professor, but unfortunately I rarely get to talk to him as he lives a few hundred miles away.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 17,990 times
I found these books to be very helpful.

Algebra Survival Guide: a Conversational Guide for the Thoroughly Befuddled - by Josh Rappaport

Algebra-Survival-Guide-Workbook - by Josh Rappaport

Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM

I'll look those up too. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Many colleges have placement tests for math and reading. Go take the math placement test.
It will give you a good idea of where you are in math and which math class to sign up for.

Colleges even offer Developmental Math...no college credit but you get the foundation that you missed in High School. Elementary Algebra is one that the Community College by me offers.

If you have a CC near you, look them up as classes are cheaper at CC's. That will get you back up and running.

BTW..here's what Austin Community College has. Maybe your school has something similar.
The key is not to take a class so over your head you flounder and lose your confidence.

Austin Community College -

Pre-tests in the various levels of Math:
Prerequisiste Reviews

Roadmap for which math is needed for which degree:
ACC Mathematics Courses -- Flow Charts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities