U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 11:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,124 times

Advertisements

I live in Calif., in the middle of contemplating a mid-40s career transition and am interested in counseling in a private practice (with as many opportunties for billing) and school counseling, together. I really do not know if I should pursue MFT, LPC, LCSW or another counseling licensure. I have a young child and maybe another on the way, so my goal is to work at a district with schedule benefits and also in private practice. I need the money for college and retirement savings.

Bottom line: I'm done with my BS in Psych next summer 2011 and want to jump into a Masters. Which is the best masters to pursue with the end goal of district employment as a school counselor AND private practice/agencies/outsourced counseling opportunities.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:48 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,151,979 times
I would check carefully into California state licensure law. Many states require a specific license/certification for school counselors. For private practice, if you do not want to go past a master's degree, you will want a degree that will allow you to be a licensed clinical social worker or licensed professional counselor in the state of California. The main difference between the two is that Medicare will not cover LPCs, but will cover LCSWs. If you want to be counseling children, then most likely either will work for you, as very few children have Medicare.
Having said all that, in general the LCSW is most flexible. But I cannot stress enough, the importance of checking state regulations. I have a friend who got a degree, and wanted to go into private practice eventually...the degree was fine in the state he was in, but he never thought to check into the state he planned on moving to after he graduated. After he moved he wasn't able to do what he wanted to do, and he was devastated.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,124 times
Great. Thanks so much.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,500,354 times
That is true, go with social work. I have a masters in counseling, and just recently, last week, the VA will now have to start giving counselors more respect, and hiring them for mental health jobs. That being said, I think that if you want to do counseling, the problem with getting into school counseling, is that usually schools will hire from within, teachers who have taught, and then got a masters in school counseling. Substance abuse counseling is always going to be huge, that and rehabilitation counseling. But, again, currently, a degree in social work is probably better in the long run than counseling. I got my masters in counseling, because I had to work full time, and there was not an opportunity for me to go to a social work program part time.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:26 PM

17,606 posts, read 21,805,151 times
It is easier to get insurance reimbursement with an MSW than a MA/S in counseling.
The degree is also more uniformly accepted around the US.
Unless you intend to persue a PhD or a PsyD, I would go into Social Work.

Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities