Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:54 AM

343 posts, read 1,313,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Check with the business school you are applying to, a lot of schools don't let you transfer credits from other MBA programs.
Yes,I know. This is for M.S,not MBA. I am planning to use the credits toward my pre requisite incase they don't consider it toward graduation. That's the reason I am taking only 1 course so that I don't spend my time and money only to realize that the credits were not accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:42 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,071 times
Is it possible that you just aren't cut out for graduate study or to work at jobs that require education beyond a bachelors degree? What happens when you have to compete against the people who scored 600+ on the GMAT?

(I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm just putting the question out there. Getting a graduate or professional degree should be something that only the top tier of students attain. We all know that the job market certainly can't accommodate everyone who is going to graduate and professional school.)

Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Is it possible that you just aren't cut out for graduate study or to work at jobs that require education beyond a bachelors degree? What happens when you have to compete against the people who scored 600+ on the GMAT?

(I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm just putting the question out there. Getting a graduate or professional degree should be something that only the top tier of students attain. We all know that the job market certainly can't accommodate everyone who is going to graduate and professional school.)
The GMAT is not a good all-round indicator for if rather someone should be in graduate school or not. My GMAT score was QUITE modest (a 560), but it was enough to get me into the MBA programs (yes more than one) that I applied to. And I am not "slow" or lagging behind my peers in my studies. I have heard of cases where people have made the jump on the GMAT from the 400s to the low 600s...so it is doable.

Way back when I was a freshman in college, I had a meterology course with a retired captain from the US Navy. He told us straight out, "A lot of you in here are a whole heck of a lot more intelligent than I am. But I worked hard all my life; incredibly hard. I put 3 times as much effort into getting my Ph.D. than the other people in my program. It wasn't fair; but I had a goal. And that's what I had to do to get it."

Do I think that advanced degrees should be handed out like vending machine treats? No. But I also believe that if you set your standards low, than you've already defeated yourself. We don't know the true capabilities of the OP....let them be the ones to decide what they can or cannot accomplish.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post

Well, I have been an above-average performer in my under grad level. I am just not able to crack the GMAT,for whatever reason. Assuming that, I would get a good score and enrol in my program of choice, I left my job too. Now, my low GMAT score has messed up a lot of my plans. That's why this post,since I need some opinions.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
The GMAT is not a good all-round indicator for if rather someone should be in graduate school or not. My GMAT score was QUITE modest (a 560), but it was enough to get me into the MBA programs (yes more than one) that I applied to. And I am not "slow" or lagging behind my peers in my studies. I have heard of cases where people have made the jump on the GMAT from the 400s to the low 600s...so it is doable.

Way back when I was a freshman in college, I had a meterology course with a retired captain from the US Navy. He told us straight out, "A lot of you in here are a whole heck of a lot more intelligent than I am. But I worked hard all my life; incredibly hard. I put 3 times as much effort into getting my Ph.D. than the other people in my program. It wasn't fair; but I had a goal. And that's what I had to do to get it."

Do I think that advanced degrees should be handed out like vending machine treats? No. But I also believe that if you set your standards low, than you've already defeated yourself. We don't know the true capabilities of the OP....let them be the ones to decide what they can or cannot accomplish.
That's a good post,misshona.
I may not be the brightest of the lot taking the GMAT, but I have my own professional plans and that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 7,585 times
I would retake the test. Use the Manhattan GMAT study guides as they're the best ones out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities