U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 37,038 times

Advertisements

Which would be better?

Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM

27,436 posts, read 44,934,740 times
HOURS--and types of accounting classes

Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,911,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena10 View Post
Which would be better?

Depends on you really...One is more focused on accounting, both are bachelors of science. But BA seems more diverse if you were looking for an opinion.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM

212 posts, read 1,045,954 times
There was not much difference when I was in school except the BBA required more hours. Since TX has the 150 hour requirement in order to sit for the CPA, you're better off with the BBA or a 5 year program if you're CPA bound.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:26 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,622,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Depends on you really...One is more focused on accounting, both are bachelors of science. But BA seems more diverse if you were looking for an opinion.
If it is a national accredited business school; it will likely be a BBA.
The lesser schools, tend to offer it as a BS. I would go with BBA.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-27-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 PM

14,752 posts, read 27,513,384 times
^

It is just a name, and that's it. Plus, I just realized this thread is stale-dated.

University of Florida will call it a BSBA and University of Michigan will call it a BBA, and I don't even know if they stamp the concentration on the diploma or the transcript. Clearly, U of M is a better school. There is NO rhyme or reason as to how the quality of the school aligns with how they've branded these degrees.

My second cousin has a BSBA from Univ. of Fl. but, in that state, it did not qualify him to become a CPA. For that, he bolted on a M.Acc. at Univ. of Fl. I guess he likes alligators. Either way, it seems that a M.Acc. now needs to bolt onto either a BSBA or BBA to qualify one to take that test in many states.

Bottom line: Pick the better school and/or school you like more, rather than the acronym of the degree.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 01-30-2013 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-25-2018, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
^

It is just a name, and that's it. Plus, I just realized this thread is stale-dated.

University of Florida will call it a BSBA and University of Michigan will call it a BBA, and I don't even know if they stamp the concentration on the diploma or the transcript. Clearly, U of M is a better school. There is NO rhyme or reason as to how the quality of the school aligns with how they've branded these degrees.

My second cousin has a BSBA from Univ. of Fl. but, in that state, it did not qualify him to become a CPA. For that, he bolted on a M.Acc. at Univ. of Fl. I guess he likes alligators. Either way, it seems that a M.Acc. now needs to bolt onto either a BSBA or BBA to qualify one to take that test in many states.

Bottom line: Pick the better school and/or school you like more, rather than the acronym of the degree.
Thats funny your cousin failed twice. Ill tell you why. The bsba requires more course work and a focus in a specific field. Accountancy is one of those. You can get a CPA but not if you focused in marketing. The MS in Accountancy is still a lesser degree compared to the MBA in accountancy. The master of accountancy requires 30 credit hours and zero life experience. The MBA in accountancy requires four years of experience and 60 credit hours. It is more applicable because it gives the student a wholistic view of business and and can provide insight into down stream consequences of certain financial decisions and transactions a normal accountant would not be aware of.

I work in hr for a major financial institution. Our standard for hiring at corporate is an MBA in accountacy and a CPA. We've had really bad experiences with MSAs. It has been an on going trend that led to a change in our hiring tatics. We've started working with universities to better understand the degrees they provide and what classes students take. We've gone from high turnover and low productivity to the exact opposite and the key difference is that we've hired candidates with a wholistic view of business. MBAs. Historically employees with BSAs and the MSAs tend to make financial decisions with out understanding the downstream impacts to the firm. We fired our last employee with a MSA last week. Her last day was Friday.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 PM

2,071 posts, read 713,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKLfan View Post
No difference in the job market...duh...no diff in apply to grad school either
This is correct.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:10 PM

12,455 posts, read 27,063,999 times
This thread is from 2010. Closed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.